One Acre Fund
Government Relations Senior Analyst
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Job Summary: The GRA works with government to advocate for 1AF clients. They build relationships with government to keep them informed about our work, ensure we comply with all laws related to our field work, and create opportunities to better serve our clients
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
- Directly lead a team in Kenya to build One Acre Fund across 25 counties in Western, Nyanza, Rift Valley, and Central regions
- Scope out partnerships and collaboration opportunities with the government to maximise impact and unlock growth
- Support the global GR department as a government relations expert
Additional responsibilities include:
Government relations and policy execution
- Grow a network of senior government and political champions at parliamentary and cabinet levels to support One Acre Fund’s field programs and future expansion, and creatively explore new networks like Council of Governors
- Organise meetings and field visits for strategic outreach to national government and politicians and provide targeted briefings and reports to this group
- Identify additional networks among actors in the national agricultural sector with influence at the parliament or cabinet level
- Interpret and explain policies and laws applicable to One Acre Fund field operations, both at the country and regional levels
- Lead regulatory compliance to ensure One Acre Fund is compliant with the laws and policies governing its field operations and innovations work
- Identify trends in government and politics that may affect One Acre Fund activities, and design strategies that reduce future risks
- Directly manage two local and national government relations team members
- Advance team and organisational priorities through field and GR team leadership, coordinate on GR strategy, provide thought-partnership on resolving priority GR challenges across Kenya, and improve communications through the Kenya GR team
- Support the global policy team to conduct detailed analysis on operational and policy risks, and develop policy impact projects that achieve quantifiable returns for smallholder farmers
- Occasional short-term support to GR team leadership on team priorities such as creating and meeting team Objectives and Key Results, overseeing financial planning, managing budgets according to actuals, and driving career progression for all staff within the Kenya GR team
- Provide training on work planning, IT skills, and mentoring for the team
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
- Ideally someone with experience working in international/multicultural settings
- 4+ years of experience in government relations, public affairs, or public relations
- Top educational background with at least an undergraduate degree
- Leadership experience at work, or outside of work, enthusiasm for learning
Languages: English and Swahili
Preferred Start Date: Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, start dates can vary significantly by role. We are adapting to Covid-19 and most of our team is now working remotely. Given this, we will appreciate your flexibility in confirming a start date.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Sponsor International Candidates: No; must have existing rights to work in Kenya.
How to Apply
Application link: https://grnh.se/f87b54b71us
Closing date: October 30th, 2020
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.