The Royal Danish Embassy (RDE) in Nairobi is recruiting a Programme Officer to assist the implementation of the Strategic Sector Cooperation programmes in the maritime, food and environmental areas. Employment is on a local contract and based on the Staff Rules of the mission.
RDE currently employs more than 50 staff, making it the largest Danish Embassy in Africa.
The Embassy is an integral part of the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The Embassy is accredited to represent Denmark in the areas of foreign policy, development cooperation and commercial relations in Kenya.
The embassy also has the responsibility for overseeing relations in Somalia, Seychelles and Eritrea.
The Strategic Sector Cooperation (SSC) programme was initiated by Denmark in 2015 and today it is operational in 18 growth countries around the globe with country specific sector focus. Focus areas takes a point of departure in Danish public and private strongholds, highly demanded by recipient countries.
In Kenya, SSC Food and SSC Environment has been running for 5 years. SSC Maritime is a new sector initiative. The overall objectives for the SSC programmes are:
1) To contribute to inclusive, sustainable growth and development
2) To strengthen and expand relations between Denmark and Kenya
3) To engage Danish and Kenyan private sector in delivering solutions to the SDG challenges
SSC fosters strong public sector cooperation between Denmark and Kenya and we are directly involved in capacity building of competent authorities and other sector players.
The Programme Officer for the Danish-Kenyan Strategic Sector Cooperation (SSC) will report to the three SSC Counsellors at RDE.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Supporting implementation of programme activities
- Collaborating with public authorities (national and county level) and business organizations following SSC project work plans
- Analysing regulatory and market actors in the three sectors
- Disseminating programme results to media and networks
- Compiling experience from SSC trainings in Denmark and following up on action plans
- General project administration
- Any other duties assigned
The applicant must have:
- A relevant university degree at Master level or equivalent
- A minimum of 7 years professional working experience in the field of government regulation and compliance and public-private interaction in Kenya
- Preferably, basic knowledge about the maritime, agricultural/food and environment sub-sectors
- Analytical and practical approach to problem solving, possibly demonstrated through years of work in the consultancy sector.
- Deep knowledge of Kenya’s political and administrative processes.
- Experience with programme formulation and programme cycles.
- Excellent English oral and written skills are a requirement.
- Experience with writing analytical briefs and policy notes.
- A team player and be able to work independently, often with short deadlines.
- Occasional field trips within Kenya.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates interested in the position are invited to send a 1-page letter of motivation and a detailed CV, including 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Friday, 18th of September 2020.
The email subject should be “PROGRAMME OFFICER SSC”.
Any application received after the deadline will not be considered. Interviews will take place end of September 2020. Preferred starting date is November 2nd, 2020.
The Royal Danish Embassy encourages all relevant applicants to apply for the position, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, personal background, etc.
Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
The applicant must present a “No Criminal Record” and pass the security clearance prior to appointment.