Our Client is an intergovernmental Commission.
On behalf of our Client, we seek to recruit a Technical Supervisor (Horticulture).
- Supervision of maintenance and development of the Client cemeteries, scattered graves and memorials within East Africa.
- Deliver training to ensure operations are carried out in accordance with organizational policy and approved working practices to meet set corporate horticultural standards.
- Promote the correct application of professional best practice and corporate health and safety policies relating to protection of personnel, the environment, conduct and behaviour.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Actively support the implementation of the Area Business Plan.
- Ensure the effective operational management of all sites
- Organize and prepare working tours as approved by line management.
- Prepare and submit quarterly administrative reports as required to include site specific information, training returns, quarterly work plans and work achieved against targets.
- Receive and assist visiting Commission officials, dignitaries, war veterans and members of the public and represent the Commission at ceremonies as needed
- Research and co-ordinate information from various sources (local authorities, local interest groups and others) that may be added to or amend the Commission’s records to ensure others are able to contribute effectively.
Commission horticultural standards are maintained
- Regular inspections of cemeteries in the region to ensure horticultural routine maintenance are carried out in accordance with Commission technical and Health and Safety practices and standards.
- Ensure a co-ordinated approach to horticultural routine maintenance programmes and projects carried out by staff and contractors.
- Ensure urgent horticultural maintenance requirements are promptly reported to the Senior Technical Supervisor.
- Collect, collate and report chemical and water use data for all cemeteries in East Africa
- Actively participate in the formulation of the region’s irrigation management plan for efficient utilization of the water resource.
- Assist the Senior Technical supervisor in the procurement of quality horticultural products in line with the set guidelines.
- Ensure optimal utilization of compositing silos
- Maintain accurate up to date records of horticultural layout plans of all cemeteries with a complete and accurate inventory of all horticultural features including trees and other permanent plantings
- Support the effective completion of Horticultural routine maintenance and projects.
- Conducting PQMS surveys of all PQMS sites in East Africa at least quarterly to standard.
Accountable for effective delivery of training and related logistics through
- Assist Senior Technical Supervisor in the development of various Horticultural and Health and Safety training modules for staff and contractors
- Implement training on the revised horticultural modules to all gardening staff and contractors ensuring consistency across the East Africa region
- Supervise and co-ordinate the training of gardening staff and contractors in the safe use of horticultural machinery and materials ensuring safe working practices; recording accidents and near misses, taking appropriate action to minimize risk and support best practice.
- Plan and implement Health and safety trainings/meetings/toolbox talks for staff and contractors in the workplace to ensure safe working practices in the use of horticultural machinery, handling of materials as well as performance of work activities
- Deliver training on the revised approach to sustainable chemical use to staff and contractors in East Africa & West Africa.
Health and safety standards are maintained within East Africa through
- identification and escalation of health and safety non-conformities.
- Ensure compliance with PUWER, LOLER and COSHH regulations are met in region.
- Deliver training on Health & Safety to ensure area compliance with the Commission’s Global Standards.
- Prepare and implement quarterly Health and safety audits to ensure compliance to ensure compliance is documented.
- Record incidents and near misses to determine causes, taking appropriate action to minimize risk and support best practice.
- Conduct risk assessments and work instructions and ensure accurate recording of the findings on the Hub.
Job Functional Knowledge
- Ability to apply Horticulture knowledge and skills to ensure high standards of maintenance of all horticultural features in the cemeteries
- Identify training needs for horticultural staff and contractors and highlight skills gaps
- Ability to deliver high quality, effective training sessions to gardeners and contractors in order to maintain and improve the relevant skills.
- Ability to apply project management skills to supervise delegated projects
- Ability to develop knowledge on the commission standards and ensure all horticultural maintenance work is carried out in adherence to Commission health and safety policies and in line with laid down financial policies.
- Provide direction and guidance to region maintenance contractors. Has confidence to challenge contractors if standards are not met, or breach of contract occurs.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to local circumstances and situations
Nature of Impact
- Supports the Senior Technical supervisor with day to day supervision of horticultural maintenance in cemeteries. Take lead in the delivery of horticultural training
Area of Impact
- East Africa team, stakeholders, contractors, head office officials, war veterans and relatives
- Effective verbal and written communication skills across different groups and individuals and in a range of different mediums
- Good interpersonal skills
Education and Knowledge
- Good command of written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- A recognised horticultural degree/diploma qualification
- A clean driving licence and ability to drive safely
- A good knowledge of horticultural standards and practices
- Computer literacy
- Training qualification
- Health and safety training preferably IOSH
- Project management experience
- Relevant experience in a supervisory position
Skills and Abilities
- Supervision – Provide direction and guidance to gardening staff and contractors to accomplish goals and take forward the Area Business Plan.
- Communication – Good oral and written skills to foster and develop productive relationships with staff, local officials, outside agencies and dignitaries at all levels to ensure smooth running of the region.
- Able to work with a high degree of autonomy, organizing work to meet deadlines set by others.
- Able to prioritize allocation of resources in order to successfully execute agreed work programmes. Use resources wisely and economically.
- Good administrative, numerical and IT skills using these to ensure information required by Area office are provided promptly.
- Resource Management — Ability to negotiate best value for money
- Application of Specialist Expertise – Open to developing new skills by taking part in training and development.
- Committed to professional development
- An alignment and adherence to the Commission’s Values: RESPECT, EXCELLENCE, TEAMWORK, COMMUNICATION, PROFESSIONALISM and COMMITMENT
- Health and Safety responsibility for self and others
How to Apply:
Qualified and interested applicants to send their application and detailed CV, indicating current and expected remuneration to email@example.com, explicitly indicating the position in the email subject line.
Please note application will be considered until the position is filled.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.