Job Title: Management Information Systems Intern
Reports to: Regional M&E Manager –Coffee Practice
Duration: 3 months
TechnoServe Background: TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a non-profit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Program Description: TechnoServe is helping to build a sustainable global coffee industry that can lift millions of farming families out of poverty. For five decades, we have developed a set of market-based solutions to meet this challenge and applied them in communities across Africa and Latin America. Our approach addresses four key areas: better farming, better processing, better supply chains and better environmental and social standards. https://www.technoserve.org/our-work/areas-of-focus/Coffee.
Position Description: The Management Information System Intern, Coffee Africa will support the Regional Monitoring and MIS Managers in Maintenance and monitoring systems for our coffee practice in Africa. He/she will assist with troubleshooting issues and provide technical support to Field teams on PIMA related issues.
PIMA is the monitoring platform for Coffee Africa programs at Techno Serve, tracking program performance and staff activities. Tailored PIMA reports are used by all levels of management to make informed management decisions. The system currently provides monitoring of training attendance and training observation assessments. The vision for PIMA is that it will provide real-time monitoring of all program activities leading to increased program quality and cost-efficiency.
Key roles and responsibility
- Support on boarding of new projects into the system by providing necessary user logins and supporting with basic setup.
- Support in ensuring project setup is completed in a timely manner and support rollout.
- Consult with project teams and where appropriate train teams in configuring the salesforce and Commcare interface to their preferences.
- Support in design,development and deployment of data collection forms in commcare.
- Support in project teams on basic structure and use of Coffee Africa’s PIMA, including use of the mobile data collection tool.
- Support in Fixing Failed Open FN jobs (Node.js based platform).
- Support system/helpdesk, track and respond to user requests in a timely and effective manner.
- Provide one-on-one advising support so projects can get the most value out of the system.
- Support in Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying
completion of scheduled jobs.
- Perform regular file archiving and purges as necessary.
- Create, change and delete user accounts as requested.
- Manually upload data as necessary to support project teams with the creation of large numbers of records and any mass modification of existing records.
- Perform weekly data cleaning, interpret reports and send logs to relevant project teams.
- Support teams to drive data quality by proactively identifying areas with data quality issues and recommending potential solutions.
- Implement app and other software upgrades as needed.
- Consolidate and track feature requests.
- Creatively and proactively respond to user bottlenecks, developing ad hoc tools as needed.
- Provide vision for system upgrades with input from Global IT.
- Serve as the primary contributor to on-going builds and 0.x upgrades.
- Serve as a critical contributor to major builds and x.0 upgrades, providing input on task allocation, data modeling and system structure.
- Manage the sandboxes and users that have access to the sandbox environments.
Required skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science.
- One-year experience in systems administration, with particular emphasis on data management for the monitoring and evaluation of large development projects.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn Salesforce terminology and administration a plus.
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn Commcare.
- Knowledge in data analysis using R or STATA a Plus.
- Ability to proactively identify and address complex problems in a way that responds to end user needs.
- Ability to explain complex technology to users of all ability levels in a way that is respectful and engaging.
- Ability to work independently and remotely while contributing to a team effort.
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does
not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyse situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern
for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
Job Specific / Technical Competencies include:
- Financial & Resource Management: The ability to estimate, justify, and manage appropriate funding levels to support goal accomplishment. Managing Resources is about understanding human, financial, and operational resource issues to make decisions aimed at building and planning efficient project workflows, and at improving overall organizational performance.
- Computer Literacy: Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use specific computer programs or applications for own functional area. Has the ability to improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
- Internal Client Focus: Client Focus is based on the ability to understand the client’s needs and concerns in the short to long-term and to provide sound recommendations and/or solutions.
- Compliance & Governance: Compliance with and knowledge of company policies, applicable legislation, grant requirements, donor contracts, the local labor code and tax laws.
Please submit your application (by email only) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title placed in the subject line.
Please include (1) cover letter describing your interest, (2) curriculum vitae.
Please include all requirements in a single document (pdf).
Applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications is 29th September 2020.
Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes