Vacancy Announcement: Grants Officer
Vacancy Reference: UT/2020/08/04
Uraia Trust is a leading national organization whose mission is to provide quality civic education and empower Kenyans to exercise their civic duty in order to realize their constitutional aspirations.
Uraia seeks to recruit a highly competent individual for the above position.
Supervisor / Manager title: Finance Manager
Department: Finance and Support Services
Job Grade 3
Job Summary: Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Finance Manager and in close coordination with the Head of Finance, the jobholder is responsible for ensuring timely, efficient and effective processing of accounting and grants management transactions in implementing the finance and accounting strategies, internal controls and enforcement of policies, procedures as well as generation of information for decision making.
- Undertaking proper maintenance of Implementing partner grant accounting records of the trust and ensuring their security.
- Assist the finance team in administering sub partner procurement processes, capacity assessments, contracting, grant award procedures.
- Advice on smooth operationalization of grant controls, cost control and enforcement of grant management policies and procures.
- Facilitate day to day follow up and liaison with implementing partners on financial matters relating to implementation schedules of the approved grant agreements.
- Assist in review of Implementing partner reports, timely provision of review feedback and ensuring subsequent implementation of any agreed upon post review actions within the stipulated time frames.
- Support the finance and programme team in identification of any relevant capacity strengthening needs for implementing partners and other programme implementation stakeholders.
- Assist management in dissemination and enforcing of policy procedures in respect to partner management of grants.
- Assist in ensuring timely disbursements and financial management operations of civic educators.
- Close supervision and monitoring of partner grant accounts with a view to timely recovery of any outstanding advances, provide regular ageing analysis of such advances and monitor regular contract management plans.
- Assist management in regular monitoring of financial transactions and obligations against budget and partner grant requirements.
- Support management in ensuring compliance with statutory requirements and conducting smooth statutory audits in respect to the Trust grant management operations.
- Support management in processing of financial transactions and ensuring maintenance of up to date records.
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned to you by your supervisor or head of department.
Required Qualifications and Person Specifications:
- Holder of a Bachelors’ degree in Business Management, Commerce, Finance or related discipline from a recognized University and Professional accountancy training with minimum attainment of CPA part 2.
- Those with full professional accountancy certification and higher level diploma with relevant vast experience may be considered.
- Additional relevant training and qualifications in grants management will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience 3 of which must be in project/grants accounting.
- Demonstrated work experience in computerized grant accounting is essential. Those with competence in Navision financial software will be desirable.
- Demonstrated work experience in management of sub grants will be desirable.
- Planning, organizing and coordination skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent presentation, oral and written communication skills
- Quality orientation skills
Focus areas of responsibility – % of time spent
- grant accounting, processing and records management – 70%
- Financial reporting – 20%
- Administrative duties – 10%
Reports to: Finance Manager
If you believe your career objectives match these exciting positions, please forward your application letter and detailed CV by email on or before 4th September 2020 stating your expected salary and contact details.
The subject of the application email and letter should indicate the position you are applying for including its reference number and be addressed to:
The Human Resources Unit,
P.O Box 28151-00100,
E- Mail: email@example.com
Please note that due to the anticipated large number of applications only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
Applicants are encouraged to apply by email address provided above only.
In addition, canvassing by interested applicants is not encouraged and therefore any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.