ACDI / VOCA
Job Vacancy: Temporary Communications Assistant – 4 Months (Maternity Cover)
Overview of Resilience Learning Activity: The Resilience Learning Activity (RLA) USAID/East Africa flagship learning award was fully executed effective October 1, 2019. It will support regional and country-level institutions to conduct and act upon resilience learning for key knowledge gaps in the Horn of Africa, contributing to the region’s Journey to Self-Reliance.
By building the capacity of institutions to improve analytical capacity, increase the evidence base for resilience programming, and strengthen CLA systems and networks, RLA will contribute to the HoRN’s objective to strengthen regional and cross-border collaboration and improve evidence-based learning.
Job Summary: The Communications Assistant will support the execution of the Resilience Learning Activity (RLA) communications strategy. S/he will build relationships across the (RLA) project portfolio with staff and take a proactive approach to identifying stories and messaging that communicates RLA learning and results to various stakeholders, especially USAID.
S/he will lead both internal and external communications efforts, S/he will contribute to content-development of project outreach materials, including learning, success stories, Facebook/LinkedIn postings, Tweets, presentations, photography, videography, events management, and media relations.
S/he will liaise between project partners, beneficiaries, key project staff, and local service providers to build a strong bridge for the exchange of information and incorporate the project’s learning, results and findings into the overall communications and outreach activities of the project.
The position will be based in Nairobi reporting to the Technical Lead for Knowledge Management and Strategic Communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the implementation of PREG Learning Communications and KM strategy and update it regularly, as applicable.
- Support the development of KM and Communications work plan.
- Execute the activities in the communications work plan using overarching communication strategy for RLA.
- Participate in the RLA Communications Working Group and execute on action items that come out of these meetings.
- Proactively work with field staff across RLA using the project updates from the field and other reporting to identify learning and achievements.
- Craft messages (case studies, one pager, webinar, tweets, LinkedIn posts etc.) to disseminate learning and results to different stakeholders (USAID, implementing partners, the Government of Kenya, and others).
- Coordinate with program staff to gather information for writing programmatic communications including manuals, graphics, articles, success, and impact stories that offer analytical storytelling.
- Edit project reporting deliverables such as quarterly and annual reports to ensure we are communicating our progress, learning, and results in alignment with USAID’s Journey to Self-Reliance.
- Support field staff with the organization of events. This includes drafting communications collateral (manuals, press releases, key messages, success stories, talking points, graphics etc.).
- Support the development of the Knowledge Management PREG portal
- Support the management of RLA’s photo library and conduct photo editing as appropriate.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication or its equivalent
- Experience: A minimum of 5 years’ experience in communication, especially using digital media, and excellent writing skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience drafting and executing a comprehensive communication plan in support of a project strategy, incorporating various media and tactics.
- Experience writing and managing content for the media, including digital and social media platforms (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.), video scripts and storyboarding case studies, and factsheets/briefings.
- Ability to work proactively with teams to anticipate and identify learning and impact at the field-level for documentation.
- Ability to work independently as well as build relationships across a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to research, analyze, evaluate, and synthesize information quickly.
- Ability and willingness to travel in RLA’s implementation counties (Garissa, Isiolo, Marsabit, Turkana, Wajir), including to remote locations.
- Knowledge of graphic design and photo/video editing software
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume to HRKenya@acdivoca.org no later than October 23, 2020.
In the subject line, please include the position title.
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, minorities, and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. EOE