Bridge International Academies
Job Vacancy: Construction Supervisor (Uganda)
Job Location: Uganda
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country. We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world.
Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution.
We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning.
Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children.
Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
Construction Department at Bridge
Our Development group (real estate, physical planning, construction) owns the life cycle of school expansion, from identifying potential land deals in our communities through to constructing academies and repairs. The construction team is responsible for building and renovating existing academies/sites according Bridge’s specifications and plans.
About the role
The Supervisor, Construction is responsible for the construction activities for the allocated school sites in Kenya. This includes ensuring that prior arrangements are made for effective project start up, smooth work progress and payments, effective decision making and finalized project close-out. You will also responsible for the liaison between the school/academies sites and the headquarters in terms of information flows and record keeping.
What You Will Do
- Site Appraisal: Carry out initial site visit, document the site characteristics, evaluate the implications of site conditions to construction and prepare a report.
- Project Start-up: Carry out all tasks that are necessary for the construction to commence effectively and complete the start-up checklist for approval.
- Contract management: Prepare or modify the standard contract for site specific issues, discuss it with the Site Foreman and manage it throughout the construction period.
- Materials management: Prepare or modify the standard schedule of materials, prepare materials requisitions, confirm orders and deliveries, ensure proper materials acceptance procedures are duly applied, retrieve from site and forward to headquarters the delivery notes and invoices, request payments and file away the payment acknowledgement.
- Labor management: Source qualified Site Foremen (where necessary), skilled and unskilled laborers, manage labor records, manage labour payments, retrieve from site and forward to headquarters the invoices and time sheets, request payments and file away the payment acknowledgement.
- Programme Management: Carry out day-to-day monitoring of progress of work on site, tracking to ensure project targets are met, planning and implementing remedial measures in case of programme slippage, including feedback information for programme improvement. Carry out early morning daily calls, prepare daily email reports and prepare weekly work programmes.
- Workmanship and Quality Control: Communicate the quality standards, implement procedures to ensure that work meets them, monitor and provide feedback information for improved quality.
- Payments: Compute or modify budget estimates for approval, prepare payment requests for approval, confirm and record payments completed and balances and file away the payment acknowledgement.
- Records Management: Implement the proper entering and updating of site records including the site book, invoices, time sheets and prepare summary reports as required.
- Labour Relations: Ensure the employment of only desirable workers on the Academy sites, maintain smooth labour relations and provide feedback information for improved quality.
What You Should Have
- Diploma or Higher Diploma in Building, Construction, Civil/Structural Engineering, Quantity Surveying or any related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in site supervision on busy sites preferably in labour intensive project.
- Should have good knowledge of basic construction technology and practices.
- Should be a good planner, well organized and able to carry out simple analysis tasks.
- Should be able to source skilled labour locally and handle labour-related issues arising on site from time to time.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills are required.
- Good people management skills that result in timely meeting of deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to accept instructions, accept criticism and positive feedback, while being very adaptable and flexible.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel within Uganda
- Must be a Uganda resident or have permission to work in Uganda
How to Apply
To apply visit our career page and apply using this link https://jobs.jobvite.com/bridge-international-academics/job/oLZMdfwt
Kindly indicate expected salary on your CV.