Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world.
Under this contract, Abt will implement entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 24 African countries where malaria is endemic.
Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project is led by Abt Associates, an international development organization composed of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and practical training services in more than 128 countries.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project seeks candidates to assist in implementing in six sub counties (Rongo, Awendo, Uriri, Suna East, Suna West and Nyatike) in Migori and Eight Sub- counties (Rangwe, Homa Bay Township, Ndhiwa, Suba North, Rachuonyo North, Rachuonyo East, Rachuonyo South and Suba South) in Homa Bay county Kenya in the following temporary positions:
Position: County Monitoring and Evaluation (M & E) Assistant
Supervisor: Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
Location: Migori and Homa Bay County, Kenya
No. required: 2 (1 in Migori and 1 in Homa Bay)
Overall Purpose: To support efficient data entry, transportation of high quality data from field to county office and support write up of summary M&E reports. Under the overall supervision of the M&E Manager, he/she will work closely with the County based M&E team and County Coordinator to achieve desired results.
- Ensure availability and proper use of the correct data collection tools across project sites
- Support data verification at the data collection points before submission to the data centre
- Coordinate with the data centre to ensure required data is timely uploaded to the database
- Mentor field teams on project indicators to ensure defined variables are understood and captured correctly
- Track the consumption of M&E data collection tools including IRS stickers and communicate deficits to the M&E Manager
- Provide feedback to the field teams on data quality and follow up to ensure action is taken
- Ensure timely reporting on IRS related coverage situations
- Support mHealth reporting across the county through tracking of the same in collaboration with IT assistants
- Follow up on data errors shared via digital platforms and or email for action
- Find out and communicate any M&E concerns from the other M&E colleagues in the county to M&E Manager
- Put together the weekly meeting reports and send to the M&E Manager
- Attend and participate in county supervision debrief meetings
- Adhere to VL Kenya COVID19 M&E guidelines
Required qualifications and experience:
- Training at degree level in biostatistics, Statistics, public health, epidemiology or IT related course with experience in M&E and or research.
- 1 year experience desirable in IRS M&E role or any other active M&E role
- Experience supervising data entry teams a plus
- Experience working with or accessing DHIS-2 desirable
- Additional professional training in M&E will be an added advantage
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and database software;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting;
- Strong computer skills: Microsoft Office Applications.
- Willingness to conduct regular field visits within the counties and data collection sites
- Willingness to reside within the county of duty
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Willingness to work for 6 days in a week (Monday to Saturday)
- All positions that involves a worker coming in contact or close contact with wet insecticides on daily basis will require a medical examination including general body examination and pregnancy tests. Those with certain medical conditions like chest problems, asthmatic, expectant etc. may be excluded or considered for other relevant roles they qualify for.
- These positions will be on a short term contract, not more than 2 months and/or on need basis and those who participated in previous campaigns will have an added advantage. Women are highly encouraged to apply for all roles.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to KenyaJobs@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line specifying the work location preferred i.e. county and ward e.g. ‘Store keeper-Migori county – North Kamagambo’ by COB, October 30th, 2020.
Equal Opportunity Employer: As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.