Job Vacancy: Programme Officer – Women, Peace & Security
Background: The Embassy of Sweden in Nairobi represents Sweden in Kenya, Somalia, Seychelles and Comoros.
The Embassy also represents Sweden in UNEP and UN-HABITAT. The Embassy represents and advances Swedish policies, interests and values in political and economic relations, development cooperation, in trade and investment promotion and in cultural and information matters.
It provides consular services to Swedish nationals and migration services to non-nationals.
Sweden has been active in Somalia for over 20 years. Sweden’s engagement is led by the Swedish Ambassador for Somalia and is implemented by an integrated “team Sweden” at the Embassy.
The Swedish aid programme for Somalia is a combination of humanitarian assistance and support for state-building, resilience and development. Support for developing institutional capacity is of central importance in Somalia. Sweden’s Development Cooperation with Somalia is guided by a strategy covering 2018-2022.
This strategy includes the following areas;
- Peaceful and inclusive society;
- Human Rights, Democracy and Rule of Law;
- Resilience, Environment, Climate and Energy; and
- Equal Health with focus on SRHR
The Embassy of Sweden is looking for a Programme Officer-Women, Peace & Security for the aid programme with extensive expertise in gender equality, as well as managing programmes in development cooperation in a fragile context in line with relevant Swedish policies.
Extensive knowledge of Somalia and Somali language is a key merit. Inclusion of women and youth in programmes, the perspectives of a human rights-based approach, as well as peace-building and human security are also central themes for the position.
Reporting: The Programme Officer-Women, Peace and Security will report to the Head of Somalia development section at the Embassy. While the duty station for this position is in Nairobi, this position involves frequent travels to and in Somalia.
Main duties and Responsibilities
- Developing and coordinating the Section’s Gender Equality Action Plan, as well as following up and reporting on the plan.
- Providing other program officers and colleagues with advice on gender equality issues and working towards ensuring that gender equality perspectives are mainstreamed in all contributions at the Section.
- Plan, administer and follow up of a limited number of Swedish funded projects by, inter alia: assessing and approving funding applications including budgets; preparing decisions/contracts and agreements; reviewing and approving narrative, financial and audit report.
- Financial management, including follow up of disbursements and payments in line with Sida rules and accounting procedures of the Embassy.
- Actively participating in the quality assurance of the gender equality policy makers in the contributions at the section and within the Embassy.
- Represent the Embassy of Sweden in coordination fora, steering committees, program reviews and field visits in Somalia and conduct dialogue on gender equality.
- Undertake any other development cooperation related tasks as required and assigned by the Head of Development Cooperation Section.
Education and Desired Experience
- Master’s Degree in peace building /social and political science/economics / development studies or other relevant subjects preferably with an international focus.
- Minimum 5 years relevant working experience in gender equality analysis and mainstreaming, as well as programme management related to the Women, Peace and Security agenda.
Skills, Knowledge and Attributes
- Command of written and spoken Somali is highly valued.
- Experience working with social media and communication.
- Ability to adjust to changing priorities and undertake multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Respect for cultural diversity, with the ability to fit into a diverse team.
- Excellent organizational skills, strong oral and written communication skills with good command of English.
- Self-driven with ability to work unsupervised
- Grants management experience from working with donors, international agencies or international NGOs.
- Experience of working in a fragile state context.
- Knowledge about the political and development context in Somalia and the Horn is highly desirable.
- Ability to seek information independently and to analyze complex data in order to make assessments.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Excellent drafting and reporting skills.
- Administrative competence and computer skills (incl. Word, Excel, Power Point
How to Apply
Interested individuals are invited to submit a 1-page Letter of Motivation and a Career History Form in the Dynamic People Consulting Limited Applications Format to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 9th November 2020.
CLICK HERE to access the Career History Form.
The email subject should be “PROGRAMME OFFICER – WOMEN, PEACE & SECURITY’’
Please note that we will not consider late and applications that are not done in the requested format.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The terms and conditions for locally employed staff apply.
The position is permanent with a minimum of 6 months’ probation period.
Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.