Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world.
Under this contract, Abt will implement entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 24 African countries where malaria is endemic.
Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project is led by Abt Associates, an international development organization composed of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and practical training services in more than 128 countries.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project seeks candidates to assist in implementing in six sub counties (Rongo, Awendo, Uriri, Suna East, Suna West and Nyatike) in Migori and Eight Sub- counties (Rangwe, Homa Bay Township, Ndhiwa, Suba North, Rachuonyo North, Rachuonyo East, Rachuonyo South and Suba South) in Homa Bay county Kenya in the following temporary positions:
Job title: Environmental Compliance Assistant (ECA)
2 positions – Homa Bay (1) and Migori (1)
Supervisor: Environmental Compliance Officer (ECO)
Location: Migori and Homa Bay Counties, Kenya
Overall Purpose: Under the supervision of the Environmental Compliance Officer, the ECA will ensure that the project’s mitigation measures and monitoring methods outlined in the project’s Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP) are fully implemented and that implementation of project spray activities is carried out in a safe and environmentally compliant manner.
The ECA will be responsible for ensuring that both local and international environmental and safety regulations are adhered to at all IRS operations sites in Migori or Homa Bay County.
ECA Programme support:
- Work closely with the Environmental Compliance Officer and County Coordinator, in strengthening and coordinating environmental compliance procedures and monitoring of IRS activities.
- Ensure that IRS beneficiaries in the community and all seasonal workers receives IRS key messages and are well informed of what to do before, during and after their houses are sprayed.
- Ensure that all operations sites are well branded with relevant warning signs and environmental safety procedures and are well equipped for fire safety and insecticide spill response, if such cases arise.
- Work closely with storekeepers to ensure all the occupational Health and Safety procedures are followed at all site stores and insecticide distribution centres including adhering to COVID 19 mitigation measures by all personnel
- Work closely with operation sites coordinators and supervisors to ensure insecticide mixing procedures are followed and that the insecticides containers are well rinsed, uncapped and well stored for disposal.
- Ensure drivers are well sensitized on precautionary measures to take while transporting spray teams and/or the insecticide, and procedures to follow in case of an accident/incident.
- Ensure health workers representatives from selected health facilities in Migori or Homa Bay are trained on how to handle any adverse reactions to the insecticide, and insecticide poisoning and any IRS related incidents/accidents.
- Continual supervision of spray operations throughout the spray season and completion of smartphone based checklists as guided by the revised IRS Best Management Practices (BMP) manual throughout the spray season.
- Oversight of IRS solid and liquid waste management activities during IRS operations (waste handling, segregation, storage and transportation) to be sure that the wastes are managed responsibly.
- Support the ECO in carrying out pre-spray and post spray IRS inspections and assessments in all operations sites in Migori or Homa Bay Counties.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Public Health, Environmental health or any other relevant field.
- At least 2 years’ experience in supervising environmental compliance and occupational safety procedures.
- Registration with EIK and/or NEMA or participation in EIA/EA activities is an added advantage.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Additional professional training in Environmental Impact Assessment/Environmental Assessment, occupational health and safety or any other relevant field. Demonstrated experience using
- Microsoft Office Suite applications including Excel, Word, and Power Point preferred.
- Ability to understand, interpret and enforce compliance to the project’s environmental safety policies and procedures as well as the ability to apply them with consistency in a variety of circumstances.
- Good communication skills including spoken and written English and Kiswahili is preferred.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Willingness and flexibility to work 6 days a week (Monday to Saturday)
- All positions that involves a worker coming in contact or close contact with wet insecticides on daily basis will require a medical examination including general body examination and pregnancy tests. Those with certain medical conditions like chest problems, asthmatic, expectant etc. may be excluded or considered for other relevant roles they qualify for.
- These positions will be on a short term contract, not more than 2 months and/or on need basis and those who participated in previous campaigns will have an added advantage. Women are highly encouraged to apply for all roles.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to KenyaJobs@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line specifying the work location preferred i.e. county and ward e.g. ‘Store keeper-Migori county – North Kamagambo’ by COB, October 30th, 2020.
Equal Opportunity Employer: As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.