We are hiring a University Career Guidance Coordinator!
About Hatua Network: In Kenya, and across the continent, today’s youth bulge is a unique opportunity for economic growth and development. Hatua Network is a community organization working to simultaneously address the needs of youth and employers, thereby strengthening the supply and demand sides of Mombasa’s employment market.
We do so by providing top performing students from low income families with scholarships, mentoring, career guidance and access to career opportunities.
These programs enable youth to develop the character, values, skills and networks they need to successfully contribute to and benefit from Kenya’s growing economy.
Our transformative, interlocking programs support youth over a period of 10 years, through high-school mentoring, leadership development for secondary grads, one-on-one professional career coaching for university students, and career linkages for our tertiary graduates. Throughout we work closely with the private sector to source for mentors and career opportunities for our youth, while ensuring our programs prepare youth with the skills and character traits employers seek.
To date we are serving 560 young people, including 470 of whom we are currently sponsoring and mentoring through secondary and tertiary education, and 90 who have completed college or university.
Of those who graduated more than 1year ago 93% are working, earning an average income that is 3X the combined average income of their parents. This is a total transformation from poverty to professional careers.
About the role: As University Career Guidance Coordinator, you will oversee and drive a wide range of programmatic activities and learning opportunities, which together with the Hatua scholarship ensure that our students gain relevant exposure, clarity around their career interests and CV building experiences while still in school and build a professional network through which they can access career opportunities after graduation.
This includes coordinating our flagship professional mentoring program and implementing and innovating Hatua’s diverse skill and career building initiatives.
Your success means that our recent graduates will transit into the workplace and that income levels in our community will rise.
Your responsibilities will include:
Managing Hatua’s one on one mentoring program:
- Pair Hatua university students with a mentor who is a professional in the field they want to pursue, and who provides them with guidance as they pursue their attachments, network in their industry and launch their career journeys.
- Provide mentors and students with orientation on how to be a mentor/mentee
- Track relationships and intervene when they are not working with the aim of cultivating robust relationships of mutual benefit.
- Train mentors on how to help their mentees find and apply for attachment opportunities
- Build strong relationships with our network of 150+ volunteer mentors by maintaining communication with mentors to understand and improve their experience in the program, inviting them to participate in Hatua activities, providing additional value such as networking and social events and by showing appreciation for our mentors and their work publically and privately
- Help improve program strategy to increase mentor and mentee engagement and satisfaction
- Evaluate the professional mentoring program, e.g. through focus group discussion
Spearheading various skills development Initiatives
- Support the development of an e-learning platform to promote ongoing development of soft skills: Identify a simple technology, upload sessions and content and collaborate with the Curriculum Coordinator to design learning experiences
- Promote student engagement with the e-learning platform once launched and gather feedback to improve the platform over the years.
- Ensure students complete a soft skills self-assessment annually, track their soft skills development and use these insights to inform ongoing program iteration
- Support first year students to design, implement and complete a community service or entrepreneurial project in order to gain entrepreneurial and leadership skills
- Measure learning outcomes by evaluating the projects and provide feedback to students on their projects and collect student feedback on their experience
- Train students on how to package their skills, career related experience and specific accomplishments and draft effective CVs
Leveraging employer partnerships & company relations
- In collaboration with the Employer Partnerships Coordinator, work to ensure that we have a strong pipeline of employers (businesses, non-profits, public sector) across Kenya whose employees sign up as Hatua mentors and who take our students for attachments. You will follow up on leads created to secure opportunities and onboard partners.
Overseeing placements & learning in student attachments
- Ensure that all our university students pursue opportunities to gain hands on experience in the field of study by securing career relevant attachments.
- In coordination with our curriculum team, develop and utilize tools to help encourage learning during attachments and collect constructive feedback from students’ supervisors to gage learning and plan for ongoing professional growth.
- Create and maintain an up to date and searchable database that includes all past and present attachments, internships and jobs held by Hatua tertiary students and alumni.
Managing Hatua Student Unions (university chapters)
- Help build vibrant communities of Hatua students within universities across the country (around 20 campuses)
- Support the university chapters in fulfilling their objectives (peer mentoring, events, community service, etc.) and report on their work
- Plan, implement and evaluate events, including our annual all mentors gathering and university student camp
- Identify and coordinate facilitators prior to events and assess their effectiveness following trainings
- Coordinate sessions, logistics, materials and venues
- Promote high attendance and address attendance issues with students and parents
General program management:
- Encourage tertiary students to volunteer to support Hatua secondary students by participating in mentoring, career fair and university orientation
- Promote Hatua Values and encourage mutual support within our network of students and mentors.
- Maintain good rapport with university students
- Collect and maintain student data, including an updated CV database of all students
- Align all staff and students on rules and expectations, in order to help everyone comply with these rules, and make clear the steps to be followed in case of violations
- Get feedback from the students regularly on departmental impact and areas for improvement
- Continuously iterate and improve program designs based on arising needs and opportunities, learning through M&E, and best practices employed by other orgs.
- Coordinate and facilitate classroom workshops where applicable
Who we are looking for
- o You are highly passionate about youth empowerment and have a strong interest in helping young adults develop soft skills and get ready for professional careers. Engaging with 230 university students on a regular basis sounds like your dream job.
- You have a track record of helping individuals along their growth journey, supporting them to figure out their goals and create action plans. You know how to build their confidence and urgency to meet their personal goals.
- You have strong project management skills, are highly organized and have succeeded in environments with many moving pieces and a wide range of stakeholders. Coordinating and following up to make sure that things are moving smoothly is one of your talents.
- You enjoy building strong relationships with many individuals, are excited about managing our volunteer network of 150 mentors and are confident approaching professionals to join as mentors.
- You are excited about figuring out how to deliver mentoring and skill building for youth remotely. Strong affinity to technology and previous exposure to eLearning is desirable.
- You have at least 3-5 years of professional experience, ideally in youth or talent development
- Event management experience is a plus, with ability to organize logistics and mobilize attendance
- You are forward thinking and excited to set and achieve big goals
- You have strong attention to detail when it comes to managing data
- Ability to work independently and communicate well through reports to management
You have the cultural fit to work with the team at Hatua Likoni, if
- You are 100% values driven and want to instill strong values in the next generation
- You enjoy working with and for the community
- You are a great team player, people talk about you being helpful and collaborative
- You are able to work independently and bring results in an unstructured environment
- You enjoy diversity and you are generally optimistic about the future
Why work with us?
- We get a lot of fulfilment by working with underprivileged youth and seeing them transform their lives over the 10 years they engage closely with us. If you enjoy building deep emotional connections and seeing the impact of your work, this job is for you!
- Our team has a deep sense of ownership over the organization. Everyone has the chance to lead and contribute to the organization’s growth
- Build interesting networks
- We believe in personal growth and you will have a lot of opportunity for career development as the organization grows
- We have a sense of family in the team and there is some level of flexibility around working hours.
The successful candidate will start as soon as possible, ideally in December 2020.
The role is based in Mombasa.
You should be ready to commit to this role for at least two to three years.
We’ll arrange a 3-month probation period with learning and delivery objectives.
Want to apply?
- Read this guide with tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
- Apply by filling out the application survey under this link: http://bit.ly/JoinHatuaUniCareers
- You will be asked to prepare a video. Please prepare the video and upload it before starting to fill in the application form.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so apply early!
- The selection process will include a personality test, a case study, interviews, and a visit to Likoni!
Selection process in collaboration with www.edgeperformance.co.ke