Exciting Career Opportunity
Job Title: Database Administrator – BI & Analytics
Kenya Tea Packers Limited (KETEPA) is a household name in the Tea Industry being the leading tea blending, packaging and marketing company in Kenya.
Purpose of the Job: The Database Administrator – Business Intelligence & Analytics is responsible for the performance, integrity and security of all Database Systems running in KETEPA that
includes but not limited to ERP, Business Intelligence and Sales Force Automation and Cloud Systems. The role is also responsible for ensuring a seamless flow of information throughout the company, considering both backend structure & frontend accessibility for end-users
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Identifying database requirements by conducting interviews with end-users; analysing department applications, programming, and operations; evaluating existing systems and designing proposed systems.
- Synthesize current business intelligence or trend data to support recommendations for action. Maintain or update business intelligence tools, databases, dashboards, systems, or methods.
- Analyze business intelligence data, data extraction, report generation and bugs appearing in operations involving iScala ERP or applicable reporting applications.
- Conducting quarterly ERP user-rights review with all departmental heads and documenting all quarterly routines.
- Developing effective access rights user-matrix for all systems running in KETEPA.
- Recommending solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, data back-ups, and recovery specifications.
- Installation of revised or new systems by proposing specifications and flowcharts; recommending optimum access techniques; coordinating installation requirements.
- Determine, enforce and document database policies, procedures and standards.
- Perform tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy and integrity.
- Maintaining database performance by calculating optimum values for database parameters; implementing new releases; completing maintenance requirements; evaluating computer operating systems and hardware products.
- Preparing users for system changes by conducting training; providing information; resolving problems.
- Maintaining quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards as well updating ICT’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Monitoring database performance, implementing changes and applying new patches and versions when required by Windows Servers and Microsoft SQL.
- Maintaining professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as required by departmental ISO quality objectives.
- Document specifications for business intelligence or information technology (IT) reports, dashboards, or other outputs.
- Ensuring high availability of all databases.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Systems Administrator or the ICT Manager.
Key Result Areas:
The jobholder’s accountability areas are outlined as follows;
- Database Performance Tuning and Database Security.
- Promoting Process Improvement, Problem Solving and Presenting Technical Database Information.
- Database Management, Data Maintenance, Patching Operating Systems and formulating Information Security Policies
- Plan the installation and implementation of new hardware and software.
- Liaise with vendor representatives when resolving software and hardware problems.
- Hardware: General knowledge of computer hardware and an understanding of how it integrates with the computing systems and databases. Awareness of capabilities and limitations of various configurations.
- Networking: A general knowledge of network connectivity, integration and protocols.
- Software Development: Knowledge of software development theories, methodologies and standards.
- Operating and Database Systems: Operating System/Database installation and upgrading, Software package installation, updating and distribution, Operating System/Database tuning and performance monitoring and Database administration.
- Problem Solving: Ability to apply knowledge of the broad range of technologies to achieve effective solutions.
- Communications Skills: Ability to understand and communicate complex technical concepts.
- Organizational skills: Ability to effectively organize and prioritize duties.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
The job holder must possess;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology.
- Atleast five-years of experience as a Database administrator, systems developer or system analyst.
- Ability to analyze data and generate reports that can be used for decision making by management – using any business intelligence tool. Knowledge of Qlik would be an advantage.
- Hands-on experience with database standards and end user applications.
- Excellent knowledge of data backup, recovery, security, integrity and SQL.
- Knowledge of Virtualization technologies and Replication technologies like VMware ,Hyper –V, veeam etc
- Familiarity with Database Design, documentation and coding.
- Previous experience with DBA case tools (frontend/backend) and third-party tools and Familiarity with programming languages API.
How to Apply
If you fulll the job requirements, you are invited to apply by sending an up to date CV indicating your current remuneration and names of 3 referees to email@example.com on or before 16th October 2020
For comprehensive Job requirements, interested applicants should visit KETEPA website: https://www.ketepa.com/careers/