M-Pesa Foundation Academy
Career Opportunity: Assistant Academic Advisor
Established on a modern campus of 75 acres, 45 kilometers outside Nairobi, the M-PESA Foundation Academy is a state of the art, coeducational and residential secondary school offering both the Kenyan National Curriculum and the International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme (IBCP).
The Academy is a candidate school for the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP) and the Middle Years Program (MYP).
Driven by leadership, entrepreneurship, technology and innovation, the Academy serves talented but economically disadvantaged students with demonstrated leadership potential.
M-PESA Foundation Academy offers a world class, well rounded learning environment to develop future leaders.
The Academy places great emphasis on the holistic development of learners not just in academics but also in technology, music, sports, the arts outdoor pursuits and community service.
Learners are exposed to the latest technology as part of the day-to-day teaching and the school prides itself in moulding future leaders and entrepreneurs.
The M-PESA Foundation Academy is seeking to recruit a dynamic and visionary individual with exceptional skills in the following role.
POSITION: Assistant Academic Advisor
REPORTS TO: Head of University Admissions
OVERALL ROLE PURPOSE: To guide students through their academic choices and associated challenges as they progress through and within the various International Baccalaureate (IB) curricular offered by the Academy i.e. Middle Years Program (MYP), IB Career-related Program (IBCP) and IB Diploma Program (IBDP)
To connect students with the right universities, colleges and tertiary level programs and resources globally available and to help them transition successfully from the Academy onto such courses.
- Guide students through subject choices within MYP.
- Help students to select either IBCP or IBDP after MYP completion.
- Guide students through and help them make subject choices within IBCP and IBDP.
- Initial point of referral for academic and study issues.
- Delivery of study skills program alongside Faculty staff.
- Delivery of careers education program across all student year groups and curricula.
- Assisting students to prepare for, select, and get into tertiary education programs in line with their career aspirations.
- Making students aware of the benefits of specific courses and universities available globally that meet their aspirations and abilities.
- With the Head of University Admissions, guide students through the application process for Universities in N. America, Europe, Australia, South Africa and elsewhere globally. This will include reading through student’s transcripts prior to submission.
- With the Head of University Admissions, advise students on sources of funding.
- Preparing students for ACTs and SATs for possible applications to US universities i.e. with students at Y10 level onwards (present Form 2).
- Helping students choose courses and extracurricular activities that will help them get into their chosen career paths after graduation.
- Staying current with university and college admission processes and requirements, tertiary level programs and developments in education and financial aid.
- Assisting to organise University Fairs and careers events at the Academy and represent the same at schools at other college fairs and other promotional opportunities.
- Conducting interviews, reviewing application materials, and assisting in the decision making process of students.
- With the Head of University Admissions, advising parents on the transition process from the Academy.
- With the Head of University Admissions, developing and maintaining an active alumni network to plan events, help students find opportunities in their fields, and obtain funding.
- Maintaining accurate and current knowledge of educational legislation, trends, developments, and resources.
- Keeping clear records of students seen by the counsellors while maintaining confidentiality
- Preparing and sharing periodic reports with the line manager and where necessary with other relevant stakeholders e.g. the DTL, Head of School
- Ensuring adherence of the Child Safeguarding and Protection policy.
- Supporting Form Coordination especially in special cases where intervention is needed.
- Taking part in school-wide activities such as Form One recruitment and orientation, academic clinics, Open days and any other as required of staff.
- Supporting staff by offering psychological first aid and linking them to relevant referral networks.
- School Counselor is expected to be flexible, from time to time he/she may be added task in line with their role by their direct manager.
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Counselling, Psychology or B.ED
- Experience and knowledge of at least one IB curricula (MYP, IBCP or IBDP)
- IB Counsellors Course CAT1
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- MUST attend and complete in-house CPD programs on skills and competencies for team members
- Embrace champion communicator skills by communicating positively, clearly and effectively
- Superior personal and ethical standards.
- Ability to build rapport quickly with staff and students.
- Demonstrate the promotion of CLAIRE values.
- Good organisational planning skills and a proven ability to work with a large degree of independence, managing own workload and priorities and identifying opportunities to add value to the Academy.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Timely and appropriate response to academic issues and effective follow up through line manager.
- Professional delivery of academic counselling programmes within the Academy.
- Professional liaison with external stakeholders e.g. British Counsel, British High Commission, Education USA.
- Periodic large group sessions on emerging academic issues affecting students/the Academy.
- Director of Teaching and Learning
- Director of Uongozi
- Head of University Admissions
- Head of Academics
- Head of Student Life
- Head of Counselling
- Faculty team
Please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 15th October, 2020 stating clearly on the email subject line and on your application letter reference line, which role you are applying for.
Please note, only soft copy/ email applications to the address provided will be accepted.
No hard copy applications will be accepted or received.
Kindly include in your application copies of your academic and professional certificates, testimonials, certificate of good conduct, and detailed CV, contact details as well as names and contacts (telephone and e-mail address) of three (3) professional referees.