M-Pesa Foundation Academy
Career Opportunity: Head of Counselling
Established on a modern campus of 75 acres, 45 kilometers outside Nairobi, the M-PESA Foundation Academy is a state of the art, coeducational and residential secondary school offering both the Kenyan National Curriculum and the International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme (IBCP).
The Academy is a candidate school for the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP) and the Middle Years Program (MYP).
Driven by leadership, entrepreneurship, technology and innovation, the Academy serves talented but economically disadvantaged students with demonstrated leadership potential.
M-PESA Foundation Academy offers a world class, well rounded learning environment to develop future leaders.
The Academy places great emphasis on the holistic development of learners not just in academics but also in technology, music, sports, the arts outdoor pursuits and community service.
Learners are exposed to the latest technology as part of the day-to-day teaching and the school prides itself in moulding future leaders and entrepreneurs.
The M-PESA Foundation Academy is seeking to recruit a dynamic and visionary individual with exceptional skills in the following role.
HEAD OF COUNSELLING
REPORTS TO: Director of Teaching & Learning
OVERALL ROLE PURPOSE
- To lead student success through development and delivery of comprehensive school counselling programs of developmental, preventive, remedial and responsive services. To lead counselling that addresses academic and personal/social development of students.
- To collaborate with teachers, parents, and the Academy administration to create safe, healthy, and supportive learning environments that strengthen connections between home, school, and the community for all students.
Academic and learning interventions
- To lead a team of counsellors in the provision of counselling services, design and delivery of well-being programs and mentoring for those students struggling with social, emotional, and behavioural problems.
- Increase academics achievement by assessing barriers to learning and determining the best instructional strategies to improve learning.
- Promote wellness and resilience by reinforcing communication and social skills, problem solving, anger management, self-regulation, self-determination, and optimism.
- Conducts comprehensive psycho-educational evaluations of students referred for potential special education services.
- Administer, score, analyse and interpret intellectual, academic, social/emotional/behavioural and other psychometric assessments.
- Lead in the Identification and support for learning and behaviour problems that interfere with students personal success.
- Make referrals and help coordinate learner support service with external agencies
- Work with teachers, school administration and other stakeholders
- Consults with teachers, school administration, parents and others, as appropriate, regarding the planning, implementation and evaluation of individual and group interventions designed to address students’ learning and behavioural problems.
- Consults with Faculty staff, administration and parents in resolving students’ academic, social, emotional and behavioural concerns.
- Collaborates with Academy staff and/or parents in developing, implementing, evaluating and maintaining behavioural and other interventions.
- Consults and collaborates with appointed mental health support, medical providers as appropriate.
- Provides technical assistance to Academy staff and parents regarding behaviour management, child development and special education procedures, as necessary and appropriate
- Implementation of the Child Safeguarding and Protection policy; working with the school administration and other relevant internal and external stakeholder to manage cases related to the same.
- Carry out psychological assessment of students and implement the relevant follow-up measures based on the assessments.
- Offer counselling to students referred for hospitalisation and ensuring cases are handled till completion.
- Working hand in hand with other stakeholders to ensure a multi-disciplinary approach for case management including other professionals i.e. Psychiatrists, Clinician, Nurses, teachers, special needs professionals and school administration.
- Efficiently and effectively reporting and referring cases that require Security, legal, Children’s Officers, MoE and/or school administration intervention.
- Participating in briefing of parents and parent meeting where necessary in conjunction with the school teaching and learning administration.
- Recruit and train peer mentors and provide continuous support for them.
Other Comparable Duties
- Ensuring adherence of the Child Safeguarding and Protection policy
- Supporting Form Coordination especially in special cases where intervention is needed
- Promote school policies and practices that ensure the safety of all students by reducing school violence, bullying, and harassment
- Participates as crisis team member and provides crisis intervention for students in the advent of sudden illness or injury.
- Makes appropriate assessments and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect as a mandated reporter.
- Maintains communication with Academy administration, teachers, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative
- Lead and initiate programs and actions which will meet the health and safety needs of students.
- Lead and initiate contact with and acts as a liaison between the home, school, appointed health and wellness agencies to enhance the health and wellness of the learners.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding all Academy and health-related issues.
Academic Qualification and Experience
Minimum qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Counselling, Psychology or B.ED majoring school psychology, Master’s degree will be added advantage.
- At least 3 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Professional KCPA (Kenya Counselors and Psychologists Association) membership that is up to date Valid professional registration with relevant professional body.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and appropriate response to cases and effective follow up.
- Well managed counselling programmes within the academy.
- A mentally healthy school population with enough pyscho-social support systems.
- Proper referral and involvement of relevant stakeholders in cases.
- A well-informed staff who are able to do first line management of counseling.
- Periodic large group sessions on emerging issues affecting students/the academy.
- Director of Teaching and Learning
- Head of Academics & Faculty Department
- Head of Student Life
- Head of University Admissions
- Clinic Team
- Residential Team
- Security and Safety Department
- Academy Counsellors
- Appointed interns
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job.
They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
Please send your applications to email@example.com not later than 15th October, 2020 stating clearly on the email subject line and on your application letter reference line, which role you are applying for.
Please note, only soft copy/ email applications to the address provided will be accepted.
No hard copy applications will be accepted or received. Kindly include in your application copies of your academic and professional certificates, testimonials, certificate of good conduct, and detailed CV, contact details as well as names and contacts (telephone and e-mail address) of three (3) professional referees.