M-Pesa Foundation Academy
Career Opportunity: Teacher of Sports Studies
Established on a modern campus of 75 acres, 45 kilometers outside Nairobi, the M-PESA Foundation Academy is a state of the art, coeducational and residential secondary school offering both the Kenyan National Curriculum and the International Baccalaureate Career-related Programme (IBCP).
The Academy is a candidate school for the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP) and the Middle Years Program (MYP).
Driven by leadership, entrepreneurship, technology and innovation, the Academy serves talented but economically disadvantaged students with demonstrated leadership potential.
M-PESA Foundation Academy offers a world class, well rounded learning environment to develop future leaders.
The Academy places great emphasis on the holistic development of learners not just in academics but also in technology, music, sports, the arts outdoor pursuits and community service.
Learners are exposed to the latest technology as part of the day-to-day teaching and the school prides itself in moulding future leaders and entrepreneurs.
The M-PESA Foundation Academy is seeking to recruit a dynamic and visionary individual with exceptional skills in the following role.
Teacher of Sports Studies
Reports To: Senior Teacher
Overall Purpose: To manage the BTEC Sport Studies course. To prepare and deliver high quality lessons in line with BTEC Sports guidance and school’s vision. To assist in core Games Programme. To be responsible for and manage BTEC Sport programme which will include attending regular classes, after-School practices and tournaments.
Planning and Delivery
- Prepare and develop schemes of work, lesson plans, assessment plans and resources based on BTEC Sport guidance
- Create quality assignment briefs in BTEC Sport
- Produce documents such as Records of Work, Course outlines, class analysis etc
- Differentiate lessons in order to match learners’ needs both in class and in the field
- Deliver lessons that incorporate IT, active learning strategies and assessment for learning
- To organise, where appropriate, a programme of educational visits.
- To keep up to date with developments within the subject area and communicate this to other BTEC Sport Teachers and Lead IV
- Contribute and participate in intervention programmes
- To offer guidance and support to students taking their Reflective Projects in BTEC Sports
- To inculcate the Personal and Professional Skills relevant to Careers in Sports
- Assess work using a range of assessment for learning techniques
- Be familiar with the BTEC internal verification process for both assignment briefs and assessment
- Provide effective verbal and written feedback to learners in good time
- Contribute to setting and moderating formative and summative assessments in line with BTEC
- To complete BTEC Sports students’ academic records and assessments
- Analyse learners’ progress to inform future teaching and intervention
- Produce reports for academic clinics, students and parents
- To ensure that paperwork required for Pearson BTEC Sport is submitted promptly and correctly
- To maintain the BTEC Sports Student Handbook
- Manage teaching time through punctual and consistent attendance and observance of school timetable
- Manage students’ behaviour in the classroom, sporting fields, on school premises and on trips
- Utilize resources efficiently to enable effective outcomes
- Use Academy data management systems such as ManageBac, LMS and Zeraki
- Develop and maintain a stimulating teaching and Learning environment, including producing engaging displays
Other Professional Responsibilities
- Undertake pastoral duties, including that of a form tutor so students are adequately supported through their school journey.
- Participate in, organise and guide co-curricular and life skills activities.
- Actively contribute to subject and pastoral teams.
- Take ownership of own professional development and participate in CPD provided by the Academy.
- Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships and relevant liaison and communication with staff and other stakeholders.
- Attend to duties assigned.
- To undertake any other additional tasks as may be reasonably required by the Head of Subject/ Department, Head of Academics and Director Teaching and Learning.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or its equivalent specializing in Sports.
- Must be TSC registered.
- At least 5 years teaching experience or equivalent in a comparable institution.
- Candidates with experience in BTEC Level 3 teaching will have an added advantage.
- Demonstrate skills in teaching BTEC Level 3 sports.
- Ability to foster a supportive environment for learners and educators to realize their full potential and willingness to work collaboratively.
- Ability to maintain professionalism in all areas.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrable planning and organization skills and ability.
Key Performance Indicators
- Professional documents – that indicate quality of planning and delivery of the curriculum and syllabus.
- Attendance and punctuality record to lessons (including tutor time), meetings and duties.
- Learners behavior records.
- Quality of marking and assessment of students’ work.
- Evidence of professional development.
- Evidence of involvement in co-curricular and/or community based events.
Skills and Competencies:
- MUST attend and complete in-house CPD programs on skills and competencies for team members.
- Embrace champion communicator skills by communicating positively, clearly and effectively.
- Superior personal and ethical standards.
- Ability to build rapport quickly with staff utilizing excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrate the promotion of CLAIRE Values across the department.
- Good organizational planning skills and a proven ability to work with a large degree of independence, managing own workload and priorities and identifying opportunities to add value to the Academy.
- Building relationships with team, managers, staff and volunteers.
Relationships: All staff and students
Direct Reports: None
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
Please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 23rd October, 2020 stating clearly on the email subject line and on your application letter reference line, which role you are applying for.
Please note, only soft copy/ email applications to the address provided will be accepted.
No hard copy applications will be accepted or received.
Kindly include in your application copies of your academic and professional certificates, testimonials, certificate of good conduct, and detailed CV, contact details as well as names and contacts (telephone and e-mail address) of three (3) professional referees.