Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world.
Under this contract, Abt will implement entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 24 African countries where malaria is endemic.
Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project is led by Abt Associates, an international development organization composed of dedicated professionals who provide technical assistance, research, analysis, and practical training services in more than 128 countries.
The PMI VectorLink Kenya Project seeks candidates to assist in implementing in six sub counties (Rongo, Awendo, Uriri, Suna East, Suna West and Nyatike) in Migori and Eight Sub- counties (Rangwe, Homa Bay Township, Ndhiwa, Suba North, Rachuonyo North, Rachuonyo East, Rachuonyo South and Suba South) in Homa Bay county Kenya in the following temporary positions:
Position: Operations Site Coordinator
Supervisor: Sub County Coordinator
Location: Migori County, Kenya
No. Required: 68 (28 in Migori and 40 in Homa Bay)
Overall Purpose: Under the supervision of VectorLink’s Sub County Coordinator, ensures efficient logistics support services to county warehouses and stores besides supervising the Storekeeper. They are responsible to ensure that the IRS operational plan is implemented in their specific operations sites.
Migori County Operations Sites
Sub County: Nyatike
- Macalder Sub County Hosp
- Nyandago Koweru Dispensary
- Wath Onger Health Cenre
- Agenga Dispensary
- Muhuru Health Centre
- Sori Karungu Health Cenre
- Alendo Chief’s Camp
Sub County: Suna West
- Suna Ragana Dispensary
- Bondo Dispensary
- Arombe Dispensary
- Nyamaraga Sub County Hosp
- Arombe Chemical Store
Sub County: Suna East
- Migori County Referral Hosp
- Anjego Dispensary
- Suna Rabuor Health Centre
- Osingo Dispensary
Sub County: Uriri
- Uriri Sub County Hosp
- Othoro Sub County Hosp
- Oyani Health Centre
- Bware Health Centre
- Lela Dispensary
Sub County: Awendo
- Awendo Sub County Hosp
- Dede Dispensary
- Mariwa Health Cenre
- Rabondo Dispensary
Sub County: Rongo
- Rongo Sub County Hosp
- Kochola Dispensary
- Minyenya Dispensary
- Ongo Health Centre
- Kochola Chemical Store
Homa Bay County Operations Sites
Sub County: Suba North
- Kitare H/C
- Ogongo SCH
- Mbita SCH
- Tom Mboya Sub County Hospital
Sub County: Suba South
- Suba Sub District Hospital
- Nyamrisa Health Center
- Nyandiwa H/C
- Nyatoto Health Center,
- Magunga Health Center
Sub County: Rachuonyo South
- Sino Health Center
- Koywech Dispensary
- Rachuonyo District Hospital,
- Nyang’iela Sub District Hospital
- Ombek Health Center
Sub County: Rachuonyo East
- Kakelo (Ober) Chief’s
- Othoro SCH
- Kabondo SCH,
- Ringa Chief’s camp
Sub County: Homa Bay Township
- Nyalkinyi Health Center
- County HQ
- Pala masogo
Sub County: Rachuonyo North
- Okiki Amayo H/C
- Kendu bay Sub-county Hospital
- Wagwe Dispensary
- Miriu Dispensary
- Omboga Dispensary
- Homa Hills
Sub County: Rangwe
- Nyagoro Health Center
- Rangwe Sub- county hospital
- Rariw Dispensary
- Ndiru Health centre
Sub County: Ndhiwa
- Malela HC
- Omboo Kachieng Dispensary
- Magina HC
- Pala Dispensary
- Got Kojowi Health
- Ndhiwa Sub County
- Nguku Dispensary
- Okok Dispensary
- Provide overall oversight, leadership, and management of IRS activities at the operations site
- Responsible for overseeing all administrative operations at the operations site.
- Supervise at least 3 spray teams throughout the spray campaign
- Work closely with the site supervisors and IEC Assistants to ensure proper coordination of mobilization and spray operations activities in the site as per site operational plans
- Work closely with the sub-location mobilizers’ team leader to ensure mass mobilization is conducted as required and the communities are ready for spray and those missed are revisited for mop up.
- Update the mobilization tracker to show areas already mobilized and ready for spraying.
- Update village maps to show areas already sprayed
- Provide oversight on property management and inventory control activities at the operations site and ensures no shortage of IRS commodities.
- Work closely with Sub-County Coordinator and Environmental Compliance Officer, in strengthening environmental compliance procedures and monitoring of IRS activities including insecticide mixing.
- Ensure the team leader’s spray data summary is recorded in the spray performance tracker at the operations site on daily basis.
- Collect and deliver all daily spray records to the M&E Assistants on daily basis.
- Ensure vehicle log sheets is completed accurately by drivers and duly signed daily.
- Oversee the collection of used insecticide containers and ensure sorting, transportation and storage of same in county central stores.
- Ensure all site-based personnel timesheets are signed and uploaded on a daily basis. Endure hard copies of the timesheets are shared timely with the finance assistant.
- Attend all morning mobilization and end- of- day debrief meetings, and document issues discussed.
- Ensures that all mobilization data forms are filed in the relevant file at the operations site.
- Ensures there is maximum adherence to the COVID 19 mitigation measures by all personnel at the operations site.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Training in logistics, procurement, supplies and management.
- Bachelor’s degree in the relevant field preferred
- At least 2 years’ experience plus 6 months supervisory experience in handling basic logistic and procurement issues in an established organizations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Additional professional training in logistics management or any other relevant field.
- Demonstrated experience using Microsoft Office Suite applications including Excel, Word, and Power Point preferred.
- Ability to understand and interpret policies and procedures as well as the ability to apply them with consistency in a variety of circumstances.
- Good communication skills including spoken and written English and Kiswahili is preferred
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Willingness and flexibility to work long hours.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Willingness to reside within the site of jurisdiction
- Willingness to work for 6 days in a week (Monday to Saturday).
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting.
- All positions that involves a worker coming in contact or close contact with wet insecticides on daily basis will require a medical examination including general body examination and pregnancy tests. Those with certain medical conditions like chest problems, asthmatic, expectant etc. may be excluded or considered for other relevant roles they qualify for.
- These positions will be on a short term contract, not more than 2 months and/or on need basis and those who participated in previous campaigns will have an added advantage. Women are highly encouraged to apply for all roles.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and updated CV to KenyaJobs@abtassoc.com with the title of the position being applied for in the e-mail subject line specifying the work location preferred i.e. county and ward e.g. ‘Store keeper-Migori county – North Kamagambo’ by COB, October 30th, 2020.
Equal Opportunity Employer: As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm’s values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.