Our client is looking for a dynamic professional for the role of Payroll Officer located in Nairobi.
He/she will be charged with the responsibility of managing the payment of salaries and wages to ensure accurate and timely paychecks, statutory deductions, record-keeping and compliance.
- Devise a payroll-processing schedule (monthly, semi-monthly, biweekly and weekly) and set up a calendar with paydays making note of days to process payroll that allows ample time to process the payroll and to correct detected errors before employees receive their paychecks;
- Make changes to the employee’s payroll record, if applicable (address changes, payroll deduction changes, income tax changes; voluntary deduction changes, such as retirement and health benefits);
- Compute timekeeping data from time cards or time sheets and enter the hours to be paid into the system, such as regular, overtime and vacation hours;
- Develop organization pay policy including flexible benefits, leave encashment policy etc.;
- Define pay slip components like basic, variable pay, house, meal, transport, overtime allowances etc.;
- Develop a payroll processing checklist;
- Manage benefits & deductions, and distribute employee pay for that time period;
- Pro rate pay for items such as bonuses, commissions and retroactive pay due to a pay raise. Perform other adjustments, such as additional pay or wage deduction due to overpaying or underpaying from a prior pay period;
- Gather other payroll inputs i.e. deductions like meals consumed;
- Calculate gross salary, statutory as well as non-statutory deductions, and arrive at net pay;
- Process payroll and issue reports to tax entities and other parties;
- Print reports to verify the payroll before printing paychecks. Make adjustments, if necessary;
- Generate the direct deposit file and forward to the bank. Contact the bank and ensure it is appropriately received, and verify the amounts received;
- Pay employees by verifying payroll and expense reports and preparing pay checks;
- Print payroll registers showing employees’ gross-to-net wages for the current payroll; and
- File in a confidential storage area. Keep these records for a minimum of three years.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration/Commerce/Banking/Economics/Finance or any other business related field;
- Full professional qualifications in Accounting (CPA-K/ACCA finalist;
- Knowledge and experience utilising accounting software e.g. Sage/PASTEL, QuickBooks etc;
- Strong commitment to the principles underpinning good governance and sound financial management;
- Timely submission of daily, weekly and monthly reports to the Finance Manager;
- Ability to write complex reports;
- Demonstrates high levels of integrity and seeks continuous learning;
- Ability to work long and strenuous hours;
- Commercial and business awareness;
- Analytical, planning and organizing skills; and
- Deadline-oriented and an ability to stick to time constraints.
How to Apply
Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 22nd October 2020, clearly indicating the job title.