Job Title: Physical Planning Officer
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Who We Are
Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country.
We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world.
Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution.
We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery. Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials. At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning.
Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children. We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children.
Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions. We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage.
We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having world-changing impact across multiple continents. You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
About the Role
This role will ensure that our academy sites have appropriate planning approvals from the relevant government bodies.
Work on the field working tirelessly to ensure that our processes are moving forward.
What You Will Do
- Getting development approvals in areas assigned.
- Compiling relevant documents to be attached to planning briefs before circulation
- Displaying public notices on site and lodging the planning briefs at relevant councils in areas assigned.
- Following up on development applications until they have been approved by the relevant council.
- Collecting pertinent data from the field required to draft the applications;
- Collecting relevant documents and details from approving authorities required during the drafting of the development applications;
- Collecting and reporting on any relevant information that may directly or indirectly affect the planning applications.
- Establishing and maintaining a network of contact persons
- Launching NEMA reports for intended projects
- Negotiating with local authorities to grant permission to construct pending planning approvals as required
- Tracking deliverables, documenting, reporting progress and making sure the NEMA approval processes proceed as planned.
- Undertake any other specific projects as assigned.
What You Should Have
- Bachelor’s degree in urban/regional planning/environmental management or a related course from a recognized university in Kenya.
- Minimum of three years of post-undergraduate, full-time work experience.
- Must be registered with NEMA and have the applicable practicing license in physical planning
- Experience working in community development projects in underserved/informal environments
- Experience in fast-growth, rapid-scale contexts in terms of obtaining development approvals (PPA2, Approved building plans and NEMA licenses), creating a network of contacts in relevant approving authorities and resolving development disputes.
- Experience working with a culturally and socioeconomically diverse workforce
- High energy and enthusiasm level; willingness to get the job done
- Team player in highly selective, fast-paced, building and construction environments
- Prior work experience working with local authorities or in a fast paced real estate development firm will be an added advantage.
- Excellent skills in computer software application packages (Ms office)
- Flexibility to travel to different parts of Kenya and Uganda as assigned (Note that this position will be based in Kenya)
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future).
- You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
How to Apply
For more details on the Job visit the Bridge International academies careers page
To apply directly use this link https://jobs.jobvite.com/bridge-international-academics/job/oWgHdfwQ