African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC)
Vacancy Announcement: Qualitative Field Interviewers for the Cost of Eating Healthy Project
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an African-led research institution committed to generating an Africa-owned body of evidence to inform decision making for an effective and sustainable response to the most critical challenges facing the continent.
APHRC is based in Nairobi (Kenya) with offices in Senegal and carries out its work in over 30 Sub-Saharan African Countries.
The Center’s vision is to transform lives in Africa through research, while its mission is to generate evidence, strengthen research capacity, and engage policy to inform action on population health and well-being The APHRC invites applications for Qualitative Field Interviewers for the Cost of Eating Healthy Project in Isiolo County, Kenya.
The overall aim of this project is to assess the costs, determinants, socioeconomic inequalities, and estimate the price and expenditure elasticities in healthy food consumption in Kenya.
The objective of the qualitative study is to explore the perceptions and drivers of healthy versus unhealthy food choices in Kenya
1. Moderation / facilitation of qualitative interviews (Focus Group Discussions, In-depth Interviews and Key Informant Interviews) with food outlet owners and community members
2. Note taking and compilation of comprehensive qualitative interview debriefing notes
3. Recording interviews and focus group discussions using digital audio recording devices provided by the research team
4. Recruiting participants who meet the eligibility criteria
5. Writing brief reports following each interview/focus group discussion
6. Keeping updated records of assigned work
7. Regularly filing daily reports on project activities
8. Safeguarding all assigned project equipment
9. Attending and participating in all projects related meetings
10. Timely reporting of project related issues to the supervisor for quick and effective troubleshooting
11. Other related activities assigned by the supervisor and project manager
1. A bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Nutrition or a closely related field
2. Be fluent in English, Kiswahili and the local language (verbal and written), and ability to facilitate interviews and group discussions in these languages
3. Have proven experience and skills in qualitative research work
4. Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills
5. Flexible and available to work odd hours (when necessary)
6. Be a resident of Isiolo County
7. Experience with mobilization of participants in Isiolo County;
8. Be prepared to work full time on the project for the duration of the data collection.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their cover letter that include their residence details and CV with contacts of three referees, via email@example.com by 16th October 2020.
Please indicate on the subject line of the email “Qualitative Field Interviewer -COEH Project”.
In the cover letter, indicate the sub county you reside in.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
PLEASE NOTE: APPLICANTS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO MAKE ANY PAYMENTS TO ANYONE DURING ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS.
APHRC and Flexi Personnel are equal opportunity employers and are committed to the protection of persons at risk.