SOS Children’s Villages Kenya (SOS CV KE)
Terms of Reference (ToR)
Training of Nairobi SOS Family Strengthening Staff and Develop a Voluntary Savings and Loans Associations (VSLA) Training Manual to be used to Train Family Strengthening Program Community Groups
SOS Children’s Villages Kenya (SOS CV KE) is a member of SOS – Kinderdorf International, the largest private child welfare organization in the world.
SOS CV KE implements programmes focusing on Alternative Family Care of children with inadequate parental care, education, health, youth empowerment, Family Strengthening and Advocacy.
The organization has a presence in seven of the country’s 47 counties; these are Nairobi, Mombasa, Uasin Gishu, Meru, Kisumu, Busia and Homa Bay.
The Family Strengthening Programme works to prevent child abandonment by providing support to community children, empowering their families and developing the capacity of their communities through Community Based Organizations to take future action in responding to the needs of orphans and vulnerable children within their respective communities.
FSP works directly with families and communities to help them to effectively protect and care for their children, in cooperation with local authorities and in collaboration with other relevant stakeholders/partners.
Kenya has five family strengthening programmes in five counties namely, Nairobi, Mombasa, Eldoret, Busia and Suba. Nairobi alone has supported more than 1,000 families since 2003; currently we are supporting 222 families with 691 children and 187 youths.
Our program interventions focus on three package of services towards self-reliance i.e. Ensure that children have access to essential services, Support families to build their capacity to protect and care for their children and strengthen support systems for vulnerable children and their families within the community.
Some of the programs we implement in Nairobi are, advocacy, education support, parenting training, financial literacy for children, youth program, family and community capacity building/ VSLAs.
Family strengthening programmes are carried out in partnership with local implementation partners to ensure that they are effectively ‘rooted’ in the community and are jointly “owned” by these partner organisations and SOS.
Purpose: SOS CV KE is looking for qualified training firm/individual training consultant to train seven members of its Family Strengthening program on 5 trainings outputs stipulated under the deliverables below and also develop a VSLA manual which the staff will use and guide them on how to successfully support our community groups on formation and running of VSLAs.
- The trainer consultant / a training consultant firm will be expected to train seven FSP staffs on the following trainings.
- VSLAs /CBO development and management.
- Resource Mobilization and proposal writing
- Entrepreneurship/ business startup/business management/Income Generating Activities(IGAs)
- How to develop MOU and writing TOR for contracts
- Identifying and running of successful community IGAs.
- Develop voluntary savings and loan associations – VSLA- manual and tailor-make it to suite SOS CV KE Family Strengthening Programme needs.
The participants comes from Nairobi County from SOS CV Nairobi family strengthening program.
Qualifications / Experience knowledge and skills of the lead consultant:
- A degree in Social Sciences, Community Development or Social Work (Master’s degree will be an added advantage) Provide copies of CVs, certificates and other testimonials
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience working in community capacity building and livelihood programming.
- Experience in conducting trainings in areas such as VLSAs, CBO management, resource mobilization, proposal writing, training on entrepreneurships and startups, business management; attach at least three reference letters from clients you have consulted for previously.
- Experience in supporting individual/groups in running successful business start-ups.
- Experience in developing training manuals and running successful VSLAs/CBOs.
- Experience in training on how to developing of MOU and writing TOR for service providers or consultants.
- Experience on training on social business and running successful group/ community IGAs.
The training output is expected to take a maximum of 4 days. The consultant should propose the expected time to deliver the VSLA Manual.
The budget will be dependent on the fee of the consultant who will be selected based on a bidding process.
As soon as the consultant is selected and there is an agreement on the total cost of the project, the parties agree on the following conditions:
- 20% of the payment will be made upon submission and approval of revised work plan including the training schedule with approved content and workplan on delivering the VSLA Manual.
- 30% after delivering the trainings, submitting draft of voluntary savings and loan association manual and all the draft trainings reports.
- 50 %: upon finalizing the voluntary savings and loan association manual and submission of the final document with the location management input and final approved training workshops report.
Expression of Interest
In addition to meeting the above requirements under consultant’s profile, Interested persons/firms should submit their proposal complete with:
- Company profile-for firms or cover letter- for individual consultants
- Proposed training program for the five training outputs including proposed training content for each training
- A sample of relevant training reports they have done for other organizations.
- Registration/incorporation certificate (attach copy of certificate) (for consultancy firms)
- Tax compliance certificate (attach copies applicable for both firms and individuals consultants)
- Financial proposal; fixed fee professional fees for delivering the training and the VSLA manual
- A Sample of relevant training Manual they have developed in the past for other organizations.
Proposals should be addressed and delivered in sealed envelopes clearly marked “FSP TRAINING” to the tender box located at SOS Children’s Villages Kenya, Nairobi location located at Buruburu Phase 2 Outering road off OleLeshwa road P.O.Box 40653, 00100 not later than Monday 9th November, 2020 10.00 am.