World Vision Kenya is a leading Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
Our programmes are spread across ¡n most parts of Kenya.
We are seeking highly competent and outstanding individuals to fill the following position to be based in Nairobi.
Job Title: Field-Facing (Roving) Security Officer
Reporting to: Security Advisor
Grade Level: 14
Work Location: Nairobi
Purpose of Position: To provide expert security services to World Vision Kenya field operations ensuring that all staff are equipped to deliver progammes safely and securely and programs and facilities are designed and or assessed to ensure safety and security of staff and assets.
The position holder must be able to live out and communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that serves as an example to others and undertake all work with due regard to the safeguarding and protection of children, and to health and safety requirements and with due regard to best practice and legal requirements relating to diversity and equality.
Field Security Operations 45%
- Provide security technical input to field offices, develop Field Security Officers, and cluster leader’s security management capacity. Annually train FSO’s in risk management.
- Provide security expertise to the field operations teams ensuring staff and asset safety.
- Support development of field-based security plans, analysis and training for safe programming. Identify offices or programs that require safety improvements, advice best practice in relation to context and financial capacity.
- In Consultation with the National Security Advisor, risk manage field travel for staff, donors, consultants, media and ambassadors, develop a robust travel process ensuring travelers are adequately prepared to go into hostile environments. Enable quality security training across the organization within financial constraints.
- In consultation with the National Security Advisor, provide guidance and oversight in a critical incident management/response for field teams who are lacking this capacity.
- Enhance safety and security surge capacity during rapid onset and protracted emergency responses.
- Assisting offices in preparing for, or implementing recommendations from, the safety and security audits.
- Coordinate and assess external security service providers in the field.
- Support in the development core Security documents for the field operation
- Ensure adherence to security Protocols.
- Develop and regularly review security plan for the field operations including all ADPs and Projects.
- Develop and review security standard operating procedures for field operations
- Prepare contingency plans for field offices for use during heighted security risks
- Conduct and review regularly the security risk assessments for all ADPs and ensure that all recommendations are implemented in a timely manner
- Conduct security assessments of all World Vision Facilities or premises intended to be used for WVK Operations ensuring that all meet the security standards ahead of occupation.
- Conduct security investigation in the field operations ensuring timely closure of all security investigations
- Ensure that all sites have standards operating procedures.
- Update core security requirements in the field as per security risk ratings to determine compliance levels.
- Prepare emergency evacuation and action plans for field operations for use during times of increased security risk.
- Ensure that all outsourced security services and personnel are properly trained and updated on adherence to World Vision Kenya Safeguarding Policies.
- Provide Oversight of all HF and VHF communication and reporting mechanisms as well as staff training.
- Establish, maintain and monitor staff and asset movement tracking systems.
- Security Operations Centre at the National Office is operational 24/7 throughout the year.
- Ensure that security communications systems are institutionalized for timely and seamless information flow and staff well trained to use all security communication devices and systems.
- Coordinate the assessment and implementation of Office of Corporate Security mandated Core Security Requirements at World Vision Kenya and develop capacity-building plan for security management based on local security risk assessments.
- Foster a strong security culture, maintaining safety standards across the organization.
Field Staff Safety & Security 20%
- Develop and maintain an effective information management process. Analyze incidents and recommend improvements to security plans.
- Manage threat warnings and SITREPs, collate data and supply analytical products for the National Security Advisor.
- Line manage FSO’s prioritizing work plans. Initiate bespoke security products and technical support to field offices.
- Ensure that all new staff and visitors have undergone the mandatory basic personal training ahead of engaging in any World Vision Kenya activities – Ensuring safety and security orientations are provided in a consistent manner to staff and consultants.
- Ensure that all field operations staff have undergone the security training as per the security risk rating.
- Conduct regular security awareness training to all staff in the field operations ensuring that staff are aware of the security protocols and adhere to them.
- Conduct regular security drills and tests and to check staff preparedness for incidences and to create a culture of safety preparedness.
- Temporarily filling staffing gaps for safety and security or supplementing existing Safety & Security (S&S) staff capacity.
Field Asset Safety & Security 20%
- Conduct regular Security risk assessment to ensure that all security assets and equipment’s are available and in serviceable condition for use when needed
- Ensure all Field Offices have SOPs that clearly spell out the protocols on asset movement/ removal from the office that should be tested regularly to confirm effectiveness of the SOPs/ System
- Keep a record of all security assets in the field offices ensuring their availability and serviceability.
- Maintain an inventory of all security communications equipment in the field operations including satellite phones, HF and VHF radios in the region well kept and maintained.
- Regularly monitor all WVK vehicles to ensure adherence to recommend speeds and operating hours to mitigate risks and provide a reconciled report every month with recommendations for decision-making.
- In consultation with the Security Advisor, work closely with the Fleet manager to ensure that vehicles have the necessary recommended equipment and that real-time tracking of WV Kenya fleet is done and all drivers and staff comply with fleet safety standards.
Advocacy/ Networking and External Liaison/Engagement 10%
- Establish, manage and nurture relationships and networks with senior executives of government, UN, interagency bodies, military groups and private corporations involved in the sector for networking and sharing of information.
- Establish and maintain reliable security networks with government agencies, communities, and other international agencies for mutually supporting partnerships, coordination and sharing security information in the areas of World Vision Kenya operation
- Ensure timely gathering of information to support and advice on any security alert affecting WVK Field operations.
Other duties 5%
- Participate in committee & Task forces as may be assigned
- Any other duty that may be assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminology and Security Studies, Military Science, Security Management and Police Science, Security and Disaster Management, Forensic and Criminal Investigations or related fields.
- Demonstrated personal values, attitudes and behaviors that are consistent with World Vision Core Values.
- At least five 5 years’ experience in a proven security field (public, private, and government or NGO sectors).
- Military/Police/ any law Enforcement Training
- No previous criminal record or convictions.
- Proof of resignation and clearance from security services.
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience of gathering and analyzing data and reporting to senior management.
- Experience of working or advising on health, safety and security matters medium and high-risk contexts.
- Experience of training staff in health, safety and security matters.
- Evidence and Willingness to travel and work in challenging environments.
- Ability to stay calm and work effectively under pressure, demonstrating resilience in challenging situations and locations
You will be required to produce a current (within 3 months) Original Police Clearance Certificate or waiting receipt during interview In case you are shortlisted
CLICK HERE for more information on the job and application procedure and submit your online application including a detailed CV, current and expected salary, with names of three referees.
Current Police Clearance Certificate or proof of application for the same will be required during interviews.
Application deadline is October 29, 2020 at midnight.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
World Vision is a child focused organization and upholds the rights and wellbeing of children.
Our recruitment and selection procedures include screening and background checking for child abuse related offenses.
World Vision is an equal opportunity employer.
World Vision does not use employment agencies nor does it charge money for recruitment, interviews, or medical checks.
More information about vacancies can be found on our official careers page https://careers.wvi.org/.