World Vision Kenya is a leading Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
Our programmes are spread across in most parts of Kenya.
We are seeking highly competent and outstanding individuals to fill the following position to be based in Nairobi.
Job Title: Project Officer – WASH & Construction
Reporting to: Project Manager
Grade Level: 12
Work Location: Various locations (Kilifi, Tanariver, Garissa, Mandera & Wajir)
Purpose of Position: Provide technical support and guide the implementation of WASHinterventions in the KIERP project to be implemented in Wajir, Tana River, Kilifi, Garissa and Mandera Counties. The WASH Officer will ensure the effective and efficient implementation of activities related to Water Supply Systems, Sanitation, Hygiene, construction infrastructures and multiple use of water initiatives of Emergency in the respective county.
Project Planning and Implementation 25%
- Develop activity plans and budgets for technical support activities related to WASH.
- Participate in the preparation of overall work plan and budget for WASH activities for specific Counties
- Make technical input into the planning and design of project specific operational researches, including baseline and end line evaluation related WASH on the project
- Be able to systemically review DIP/budget and other key implementation tools and initiate innovative approaches that will open new frontiers for WASH in emergency learning.
Technical support 25%
- Build capacity of field staff and partners (CBOs and Water Users Committees) on WASH interventions, Water resource Management and practice to effectively manage WASH facilities
- Identify other opportunities in an ongoing manner that will add value to the overarching goal of the project.
- Track and prepare monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual progress reports of activities relates to WASH KPIs/indicators; including documentation of key lessons learnt and success stories.
- Lead and contribute to the development of publications for peer-reviewed journals.
- Ensure incorporation of economic empowerment and sustainability in all project interventions
- Facilitate timely and quality implementation of Water, sanitation and Hygiene sector, other construction infrastructures and multiple use of water initiatives within the project and cluster.
- Ensure cross cutting themes are integrated into the WASH project
- Ensure that business processes, standards and guidelines related to WASH and Construction initiatives are effectively applied in project implementation.
- Work closely with relevant authorities to ensure all WASH interventions deployed in the communities, facilities and schools are in alignment with the WASH in emergency Standards.
- Supervision of contractors during implementation to ensure quality workmanship, safety and value for money is achieved within schedule.
- Supervise the Development and rehabilitation of appropriate WASH infrastructure in the emergency program
- Facilitate field visit for all respective line ministries to inspect progress of works and validate all the inspection reports (this includes quantified work done)
- Carry out Technical Design of WASH and Construction projects as need arises
- In consultation with the County Government, conducting feasibility studies, designing and preparing tender documents (includes bills of quantities) and technical guidance to the program during tendering process
- Preparation of the tender documents (Technical Specifications, Drawings, Bills of quantities and Terms of Reference).
- Maintain an updated Site Book for all construction works, provide overall construction site management in strict adherence to the approved designs and facilitate Site-possession, handing over and commissioning of projects
- Facilitate communities to identify viable WASH and construction projects and negotiate for way leaves and easement and ensure their participation in the implementation of the same
Quality Assurance – M &E, Reporting and Documentation 20%
- Supervise and Monitor WASH and Construction interventions in strict adherence to WV Kenya, Kenya government regulations, WHO and the SPHERE standards.
- Development of Project Designs and Annual Operation Plans. (4D matrices, DIPs, Annual Budgets).
- Facilitate WASH project surveys including but not limited to Environmental Impact Assessments, Topographical Surveys, Baselines surveys, evaluations and GIS activities.
- Develop quality monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, annual, situational and end of projects reports in accordance with donors and WV Kenya requirements.
- Ensure budgetary utilization is within acceptable limits/range.
- Facilitate regular WASH & Construction review meetings for the WASH team as well as participate in the ADP review meetings
- Ensures participatory monthly data collection are conducted (involving communities and partners) using the standardized tools
- Supervision of the construction processes of different water infrastructures to their successful completion like test pumping process on the completion of borehole drilling and acquisition and interpretation of the test pumping data for the pumping plant design.
- Document and disseminate best practices on Water, sanitation and Hygiene projects in the ADP.
Advocacy, Engagement, Partnership and Networking 10%
- Ensure representation of WV Kenya in key WASH and Construction stakeholder forum/meetings at the Ward, Sub-County and County levels.
- Actively participate in County level technical working groups on WASH relevant to policy forum.
- Collaborate with relevant ministries and other relevant partners at the County and community levels to ensure integration and high level implementation of all WASH activities.
- Facilitate community education on Laws, Policies and Standards on WASH & Construction Service delivery.
- Provide support to community led processes of monitoring public service delivery.
- Ensure communities are mobilized and participate in their WASH projects
Capacity building 10%
- Work together with other staff/ to ensure that key trainings meets the standard required to facilitate, provide knowledge and reinforcement of desired WASH behaviour and practices.
- Sensitize the staff and Community on environmental impact assessment (EIA) issues and the mitigating factors.
- Support preparation and conducting training for Water Users Associations to empower them to run their own water supply systems on a sustainable way
- Support preparation and conducting hygiene and sanitation promotion training sessions.
Resources Acquisition 5%
- Support development of technically sound funding proposals through provision of information & data and review in collaboration with Project/Cluster Managers and other sector specialists.
- Mobilize the community for community contribution for project interventions
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by supervisor or designee from time to time
- Participate and contribute in committees and task forces as may be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Degree in Civil Engineering or Water Engineering
- Minimum two years of work experience in WASH and construction, emergency response and related sectors.
- Registered with Professional Body (EBK/KETREB)
- Knowledge and application of auto/arch CAD and GIS
- Ability to conduct community WASH needs assessment, program planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of project activities
- Good understanding of SPHERE and other international standards.
- Excellent English communication skills (both oral and written).
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office and Microsoft Outlook
- A team player, capable of building staff and community capacity through training.
- Ability to take initiative, a team leader able to work with minimum supervision
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and emotional maturity
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts
You will be required to produce a current (within 3 months) Original Police Clearance Certificate or waiting receipt during interview In case you are shortlisted
CLICK HERE for more information on the job and application procedure and submit your online application including a detailed CV, current and expected salary, with names of three referees.
Current Police Clearance Certificate or proof of application for the same will be required during interviews.
Application deadline is November 01, 2020 at midnight.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
World Vision is a child focused organization and upholds the rights and wellbeing of children.
Our recruitment and selection procedures include screening and background checking for child abuse related offenses.
World Vision is an equal opportunity employer.
World Vision does not use employment agencies nor does it charge money for recruitment, interviews, or medical checks.
More information about vacancies can be found on our official careers page https://careers.wvi.org/.