TERMS OF REFERENCE: COMMUNICATION SERVICES FOR CREATE
Mercy Corps is implementing a multi-year, 12 million GBP Preventing Violent Extremism (PVE) programme funded by the UK Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) through the Conflict, Stability and Security Fund (CSSF).
This programme engages local and national government, local civil society organizations and communities to mitigate the drivers, enablers and narratives of violent extremism in East Africa through support to policy initiatives, community engagement, and support to national civil society organizations in order to prevent the recruitment of vulnerable individuals by violent extremist organizations.
The programme works in Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Mozambique and Uganda, through strategies adapted to the context and opportunities in each country to advance research, legislation and field implementation of programme activities.
2. OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
CREATE would like to procure the services of an experienced and professional communications and media expert(s) to support the programme in developing and delivering an external communications plan to showcase programme impact, innovation and insights to external audiences.
This will involve:
- The production of a communications plan and calendar through which to showcase and profile the programme.
- Working with the programme team and donor to identify communication opportunities, such as annual events/celebrations/visits, and preparing relevant communication products such as briefs, op-eds, case studies etc. for dissemination
- Editorial and graphic design support for the production of high quality reports, communications materials and technical documents for the programme. Editorial and design support includes:
- Copy editing, proofreading, and restructuring if required
- Correct spelling and appropriate use of words with correct grammar and syntax
- A consistent style and format throughout the document in line with organizational branding
- Correct use of UK English while maintaining the authors’ writing style to the extent practical
- Appropriate positioning and numbering of boxes, figures and tables
- Ensure all footnotes, sources, references are complete and consistent
- Thorough review of annexes (bibliography, etc.) to highlight incomplete areas along with consistency in presentation as per Mercy Corps publication guidelines.
- Prepare a complete table of Contents and Acronym List per document.
- Proof read designed layout files to ensure a complete print ready file.
- Streamlining of programme reports and deliverables to highlight impact across countries, or topics and the production of a programme data dashboard to present updated data to CREATE’s donor.
3. DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The services above are to be carried out on a retainer contract over the life of the programme.
The initial twelve months will draw down against a maximum of 50 days.
Upon successful delivery of the SOW the contact will be renewed for the remainder of the programme with level of effort to be negotiated.
4. CONTRACT TYPE: Retainer agreement (RA) – 48 days per year, with monthly deliverables agreed with the TL.
5. DELIVERABLES AND PAYMENT
Graphics / Editorial Services
- Quarterly and Annual reports = approx. 10 days/year
- Monthly Reports from the Mozambique Analysis team, plus ad-hoc deep dive analysis for Mozambique = approx 15 days/year
Communication support, planning and production
- Support to the identification of communication opportunities and outputs = 5 days/year
- Ad-hoc programmatic publications: op-eds/briefs/case studies etc. = 9 days/year
- Data dashboard development and maintenance = 9 days/year
6. REPORTING AND ADMINISTRATIVE ARRANGEMENTS
The consultant will report to the Deputy Team leader and works directly with Team Leader, Programme staff, Consortium members.
7. CONSULTANT QUALIFICATION
- At least a university degree in journalism, communication, international relations, political or social sciences, human rights, or comparable academic preparation.
- At least five years of progressive professional editing experience
- Excellent computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications, especially MS-Office applications and utilities.
- Strong communication skills (written and oral), and proven analytical skills in conceptualizing and developing literature reviews are a necessity.
- Strong visual communication experience (such as developing power point presentation or prior experience of working with graphic designers) is an added advantage.
- Strong analytical skills and development of infographics
- Understanding and appreciation PCVE would be an added advantage.
- Computer Literacy
7. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Interested consultants should submit a letter of interest stating why you are eligible for the assignment with at least three references of previous similar assignment, CV clearly demonstrating a summary of similar assignments undertaken previously and expected cost of editing and proofreading
Send Technical and financial proposals to Mercy Corps on or before 1600 Hrs (4PM EAT) on December 4, 2020.
Applications should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. SELECTION CRITERIA
Applications will be evaluated based on the selection criteria outlined in the table below:
Criteria A – Expression of Interest
- Evidence of similar past experience
- Evidence of ability to do editorial work
- Three reference
Maximum Points: 45 points
Criteria B – Qualifications and experience of Key personal
- Academic qualifications
- Qualifications of the consultant to the requirements
Maximum Points: 35 Points
Criteria C – Cost effectiveness
Maximum Points: 20