African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC)
Terms of Reference
Documentation of APHRC’s Model of Policy Engagement
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, with a regional office in Dakar, Senegal.
Our researchers are contributing to the body of evidence about critical issues in population health and wellbeing, impeding Africa’s development to provide strong direction and recommendations to policy- and decision-makers at all levels.
APHRC also aims to enhance the use of the evidence generated by decision-makers for policy and programming at the local national and regional level.
Background: APHRC seeks the services of a policy engagement, knowledge translation and evidence informed policy making specialist or institution to define, give form and document the APHRC model of policy engagement.
Purpose of the Assessment: This assignment follows APHRC’s goal to engage with various stakeholders and policy actors to influence policy in order to transform lives on the African continent.
The purpose of this assignment is therefore to provide APHRC with an opportunity to understand the effective means of policy engagement in enhancing evidence-informed decision-making and devise ways to institutionalize this engagement through a model that can be applied in similar situations.
The consultant will interview APHRC staff involved in policy engagement work about what they understand the APHRC model of policy engagement to be and how APHRC staff members have or are implementing policy engagement activities.
The consultant will consequently develop a conceptual framework underlying the policy engagement work at the Center.
Scope of Work and Methodology
- Case studies
- Desk reviews
- Literature review
- Focus group discussions
- One on one interviews
Essential Skills and Experience
- Proven experience in carrying out similar assignments.
- Post graduate degree or equivalent in public policy, knowledge translation, social research, communications for development or a closely related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in policy informed research, knowledge translation and or policy engagement
- Understanding of the social and policy environment in Africa.
- Proven experience and knowledge of the working with think tanks and research institutions.
Outputs / Expected Deliverables
- Detailed methodology – to be approved before commencing the full assignment
- Inception report on the consultancy with a proposed work plan
- Literature review report
- Draft conceptual framework
- Convene and facilitate a workshop with APHRC staff and senior management to validate the draft conceptual framework.
- Final technical report
- APHRC shall provide relevant information relevant to policy engagement activities including unit reports and dissemination strategies / plans
- Provide logistical support for any internal stakeholder convening to validate the draft report.
- APHRC shall provide guidance and high-level administrative support such as making available relevant documentation and tools in addition to scheduling all the relevant meetings.
Language Requirement: This assignment will be undertaken in English
Contract Duration: The period of performance for this assignment is 30 working days.
If you meet the criteria above and are interested in this opportunity, please email email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Documentation of the APHRC’s model of policy engagement.
Attach the items listed below.
- Suitability statement that expresses commitment to availability for the entire period of the assignment.
- Cover letter of no more than one page
- CVs of consultant/s, proposed for this assignment
- An indicative budget
For more information about APHRC visit www.aphrc.org
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of persons at risk.