Norwegian Refugee Council
Job Vacancy: Driver, Kakuma (Temporary) – Kenyan Nationals Only
Webcruiter ID: 4309651037
Employment type: Full-time, Temporary
The NRC East Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007.
NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab and Kakuma.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability.
These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
Duties and Responsibilities
R1: Performing daily, weekly & monthly transport duties.
- Do basic vehicles checks before starting the days.
- Undertake all duties assigned by the supervisor concerning transportation by driving assigned vehicle(s).
- Ensure vehicles tools, towing ropes, rod bars, winches, spare wheel are in place before starting the day’s work.
- Maintain high cleanness of the vehicles he / she is assigned to
- Carryout a monthly vehicle check for the assigned vehicle(s)
R2: Ensure safety of the vehicles, passengers, materials.
- Apply extra caution while driving and avoid any intoxication.
- Ensure safety of passengers and property on board.
- Check vehicles body dents, damages and report any other irregularities.
- Ensure vehicles fire extinguishers and first Aid kits are in good conditions.
- Make sure that only authorized passengers are carried as per the organizational policy.
- Comply with traffic rules & procedures, convoy rules and drives with recommended speed limit of 40 km in the camps and 80 km during convoy trips.
- Ensure vehicles are parked in a safe & secure place and properly locked and returned the keys.
- Ensure that all passengers boarding NRC vehicles wear safety belts before the vehicle is put in motion.
- Ensure any other agency staff boarding an NRC vehicle completes and signs a waiver form before start of journey.
R3: Ensure all vehicles conditions and legal documentations are met by the organization.
- Ensure the validity of vehicles insurance, road license and police inspection stickers and advice renewals.
- Make sure vehicles are serviced as stipulated in the periodic servicing schedules.
- Ensure the vehicle has at least half tank of fuel at all times.
- Update vehicles logbook particulars on daily basis by making right entries.
R4: Reporting of incidents and accidents.
- In case of any accident report immediately to police station and to your supervisor.
- Do not accept liability on behalf of NRC.
- Present a comprehensive report to the management within 24 Hours.
- In case of an attack, staff security becomes priority.
R5: Ensure regular vehicle Mechanical checks, maintenance and Repairs.
- Establish the nature of motor vehicle mechanical problems being experienced, track their frequency and any other unusual occurrences. Conduct inspections and test-drives to establish the cause of the mechanical problems and thereafter to confirm that they have been resolved.
- Fix and repair any malfunction/fault on the vehicle’s mechanical systems including and not limited to; engine components and parts, engine cooling system, suspension and steering system, braking system, transmission system, exhaust system
- Routine Maintenance: Perform weekly safety and maintenance checks on all NRC vehicles, document all recommended safety and maintenance data and use it to monitor Key Performance Indicators used in strategic decision making.
- Documentation: Maintain complete and accurate transport related control documents which include; Job Cards for each repair to be carried
- Minimum secondary Education.- KCSE
- Valid certificate of good conduct.
- Possess a PSV Licence
- Possess a (BCE/ ABCE)-Class Driving License for more than 5 years
- At least 5 years’ relevant experience.
- Vehicle mechanic course from a recognized institution preferably government graded.
- Proven background / 3-5 years as a mechanic
- Recommendation of Integrity and Good Conduct
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Presentable, friendly and patient
- Attention to detail
- Ability to plan and coordinate own tasks.
We can offer
Duty station: Kakuma
Contract period is up to December 2020
Salary / benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, the candidate will observe NRC’s Code of Conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Kakuma.
*Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position*
CLICK HERE to apply online
Application deadline: 25.11.2020