Bridge International Academies
Job Vacancy: Manager, Leadership & Development
Who We Are: Bridge partners with governments, donors, and parents to ensure that every child has access to an education that develops her full potential and creates the foundation for prosperity for the country.
We are dedicated to supporting teachers, empowering school leaders, and ensuring every child has the learning support needed to master the national syllabus and have the confidence to succeed in a competitive world.
Each of our project or country teams are supported through expertise and programming from additional offices around the world, combining world-leading expertise in core design areas with locally resident leadership and execution. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to support and scale every aspect of quality education delivery.
Bridge managed and supported schools are technology enabled and data driven to ensure accountability in the classroom for both teachers’ performance and children’s learning.
The Bridge model delivers significant learning outcomes at large scale by combining technology and customized learning materials.
At Bridge, we believe innovation and technology can transform learning.
Our model – which uses technology to deliver thoroughly researched and carefully designed daily lesson guides to teachers in our academies – is proven to increase learning outcomes for children.
We are a solutions-driven, implementation-focused organization, using design principles to work in varied and often highly constrained contexts to ensure learning outcomes and positive development for children.
Working in regional and national scales is important to us, as empowering entire generations of children with core knowledge, skills, and confidence is what builds the foundation for a peaceful and prosperous future for us all.
Our mission is to provide our pupils with a life-changing education and we believe that every child should have a right to world-class education regardless of her family’s income. Core to our approach is the conviction that every child can learn, as long as the school she attends is committed to her development and puts her needs to learn at the forefront of all decisions.
We have seen teachers and children transform and excel in both government and private schools that we support and manage. We invite you to join this incredible endeavor that is having a world-changing impact across multiple continents.
You will join a team of dedicated change-makers committed to ensuring that each decision we make keeps a child’s experience of learning as its guiding principle.
We work across Kenya to improve learning for underserved communities. Kenya was where we launched our social enterprise, opening our first school in 2009. We began partnering with the
government, communities, teachers and parents to improve education in Kenya.
We’re data-driven and our models adapt to the needs of individual governments. We’re flexible wherever we can serve more marginalized communities and improve learning outcomes for children.
Schools is the heart of Bridge. Schools is responsible for ensuring all of the work created by our expert teams, including Instructional Design, Leadership & Development, Technology, Communications, and Insight, are used in each school, and each school is managed to achieve its goal of ensuring every child enjoys a learning environment that develops her core skills, knowledge and confidence.
The performance of the entire organization is led by the Schools Group, which works to strengthen school enrollment and student retention, by ensuring every school is regarded as the strongest school in its neighborhood and delivers on improved learning outcomes for children. Schools is the largest team in the organization, as this Group is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day management of each school.
We engage with school leaders and teachers every day, ensuring ongoing professional development, performance management, and intensive coaching. Our investments in instructional design and teachers’ professional development are overseen by the Schools Group, and academics is at the forefront of our school programming.
To ensure sustainability, we support effective school-level budgeting and financial management. We are always seeking effective ways of ensuring every school is supported with data-driven practices. We measure our success through increased enrollments in the school, signaling strength in management and community engagement, and by the learning outcomes of the children in the classroom. We are performance driven.
Leadership and Development Department
In joining the Leadership & Development (L&D) team you are joining the department charged with the holistic development of our school staff. We ensure that our front line staff are exceptional leaders who are in turn, energized and empowered to provide the students in their communities and classrooms with a life-changing education.
The Leadership & Development Department ensures that each school we support is staffed with talented and passionate teachers and school leaders who will dedicate themselves to the development and learning of each child in their care. Leadership & Development ensures all school staff are fully aware of the principles that guide our Schools Group and Academics Department, including but not limited to school management practices and policies, theory of instructional design and structured pedagogy, core subject content knowledge, importance of a positive learning environment, classroom management techniques, use of technology for teaching and school management, need for parent communication and involvement, and regulatory or government engagement.
We are responsible for both induction training of school staff new to the schools or programs we support, as well as for ongoing professional development throughout the school year. We use data from our school staff’s performance and student learning to drive the design of our induction and ongoing professional development, for both the year ahead, and for real-time interventions in school management or teachers’ practice by the Schools Group. We also support data-driven analysis of teacher and school leader performance. We know we have succeeded when each teacher, and each school is delivering on the promise of every child learning.
About the Role
Delivery excellence, integrity, quality and systematization are all part of ensuring successful implementation of induction training and on-going professional development. You will work closely with the Leadership & Development Department, Shared Services, who lead the design of induction training and professional development sessions delivered in each territory.
As an individual contributor, the Leadership & Development Manager will project manage all residential and/or induction training sessions for school staff, both school leaders and teachers. The complexity of this cannot be understated — [in a given year there may be 3 rounds of induction training each with 100-200 teachers and school leaders, managing 6 support office staff to deliver these trainings. We hope to scale these training in the future to thousands of school staff as our programming grows.]
The importance of success of this training cannot be understated — it is the foundation for success of all of our programming, by ensuring that each teacher and school leader leaves training with a new vision for their school and classroom, new practices for classroom management, new understanding of structured pedagogy and its use, and knowledge of critical school management practices. In short, at the end of induction training to the program, each teacher and school leader should be excited and confident to bring significant positive change to his or her classroom and school.
As a collaborator, the Leadership & Development Manager will be responsible in coordinating with Shared Services Leadership & Development on the content of induction training and ongoing scheduled professional development modules, and manage direct reports in this production and collaboration.
In addition, the Leadership & Development Manager will work directly with the Schools Director to use performance and behavioral data of school leaders and teachers to smartly deliver time-sensitive “refresher” training on core modules and/or custom or newly designed content for Supervisors of schools to use in school-based training and coaching.
Finally, as a manager, the Leadership & Development Manager will ensure that members of the Leadership & Development team in the territory have a clear work plan, and are productively working in tandem to generate achievement in schools.
The Leadership & Development Manager will during times of large-scale induction training, manage Supervisors, School Management to deliver training in concert with the vision of Leadership & Development. It is your job to train, mentor, and evaluate every person leading a training classroom each step of the way, ensuring that they achieve ambitious outcomes with our school leaders and teachers.
This role reports to the Schools Director.
What You Will Do
- Lead school leader and teacher induction training and ongoing professional development efforts for your territory; ensure all induction training graduates and current employees are world-class school leaders and teachers, prepared to succeed in a Bridge International Academies’ classroom, passionate and motivated to deliver for each pupil.
- Collaborate with Shared Services L&D to ensure that all content for induction training and professional development efforts are effective; coordinate across departments to ensure that content is up to date and accurate.
- Develop, coach, and mentor a deeply skilled and mission-aligned team of L&D Supervisors on the execution of induction training and professional development each academic year in your
territory; ensure that the team is prepared and delivering high-quality training and coaching for Bridge teachers & school leaders.
- Create and lead professional development for L&D Supervisors in collaboration with the Schools team and Shared Services L&D, and ensure they are growing as professionals.
- Be a world-class project manager ensuring high-quality delivery, continuous improvement and transparency for the execution of induction training and professional development programs in your territory.
- Work closely with the Administration, People Operations, Technology, and other departments to ensure seamless user experience for teachers and school leaders during induction training and professional development.
- Working with Shared Services L&D teams, use big data on academics, school management and community engagement to identify areas for further professional development, and
continuously improve training quality and efficacy
- Manage and lead a team of Leadership and Development Officers to investigate academic, school management and community engagement trends through the year to inform training content and delivery.
- Provide qualitative and quantitative data feedback to the Shared Services L&D team consistently post-training to continuously improve training efficacy. Deploy team to pilot and field test ways to continually improve how we train, coach and support school staff.
What You Should Have
- A Bachelor’s degree in education or related field
- Two or more years of teaching experience is desirable. Prior experience in teacher training would be a bonus.
- Exceptional organization, project and people management skills. Prior experience in having led and managed teams would be a plus.
- A data-driven, evidence-based mindset. Comfort in collecting and analyzing data to inform decisions is integral to this role.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and G-suite.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate – The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyze it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
How to Apply
Visit Bridge International Academies CAREERS PAGE for more details.
CLICK HERE to apply online