Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops (KCCB) General Secretariat
The KCCB – General Secretariat is the national administrative, facilitative and coordinative arm through which the Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops implement and co-ordinates various Pastoral programs at the national level and undertake all those responsibilities which express the mission of the Catholic Church in Kenya.
It is seeking outstanding, dynamic and results oriented individuals to fill the following key position:-
Legal and Civil Affairs Officer
Overall Purpose of the Job: The Legal Services function is responsible for providing legal advice to KCCB – GS and affiliated institutions and ensure compliance with legal requirements, advising on legal matters, overseeing legal affairs of KCCB – GS, mitigating legal risks against KCCB as well as implementing good corporate governance to enhance organizational credibility.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify emerging legal issues affecting KCCB-GS for compliance
- Frame legal issues for external professional intervention and advice on corrective action.
- Negotiate, draft, review and vet the documents and third party contracts
- Attest/witness KCCB documents
- Conduct research, and, provide legal opinions on matters affecting the KCCB –GS and its affiliated institutions
- Handle litigation and disputes involving KCCB and ensuring all parties’ satisfaction
- Ensuring elaborate legal risk assessment and management
- Ensure security documents are properly kept, secured and archived
- Carry out legal audit to ensure KCCB-GS’s legal compliance.
- Liaise with external lawyers on all legal matters involving KCCB-GS to ensure they are handed promptly.
- Recording and circulating minutes of respective meetings at KCCB – GS and accountabilities under KCCB’s statutes in consultation with the General Secretary.
- Working closely with the General Secretary to ensure that KCCB – GS meetings and business are conducted efficiently and compliance with relevant legislation
- Advising the General Secretary on matters that require legal expertise in the management of the secretariat.
- Guiding the secretariat on the Key governance and compliance issues.
- Interpret KCCB’s Statutes, terms and conditions of service, collective agreements and other documents that are legally binding.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB) from a recognized institution.
- PG Diploma in Law with current practicing certificate
- Member LSK
- Good communication & interpersonal skills
- Good drafting skills
- Good researcher
- Integrity & confidentiality
- Decisive & Responsible
- Proficiency in computer packages
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- Proficiency in computer applications.
- Three (3) years working experience in legal practice in the Public Service or Private Sector
- Knowledge/exposure to civil Law
- Knowledge of the Social teaching of the Catholic Church
How to Apply
Applications should be addressed to:-
Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops – General Secretariat
P.O. Box 13475 – 00800
To reach him on or before 15th December 2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted