Who we are
The world’s leading humanitarian, development and global health organizations rely on Ona to improve their impact and accountability.
We build technology that affords new opportunities for governments and development organizations and actors to be increasingly collaborative, data-driven, and accountable to the people they serve.
We also make tools that provide opportunities for organizations to make better use of their data to help address some of the world’s greatest challenges, including: maternal and child health, education, community resilience, agriculture, environmental sustainability, access to infrastructure and government accountability.
Ona works with its partners to develop data solutions based on technologies Ona develops.
These include Ona Data (ona.io) – a mobile data collection and visualization platform, Canopy – our new enterprise analytics solution and OpenSRP (smartregister.org) a mobile health platform Ona is developing with the World Health Organization.
There’s no such thing as a “safe system” – only safer systems. Our Site Reliability Engineering team works to create and maintain the safest operating environment for Ona’s users and developers.
Key role and responsibilities:
- As a Security Engineer, you help protect network boundaries, keep computer systems and network devices hardened against attacks.
- Provide security services to protect highly sensitive data like passwords and user information.
- Work hands-on with our deployment systems and actively monitor our systems for attacks and intrusions.
- Also work with software engineers to proactively identify and fix security flaws and vulnerabilities.
- This role will report to the Site reliability engineering team.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience analyzing the security of systems (penetration testing, Web Application security testing, vulnerability scanning, threat modeling, etc).
- Experience with concepts and practices such as data anonymization and classification, auditing access to data, and review of requests for data access.
- Experience in responding to security problems in target-rich environments, looking at security alerts, front-line analysis and response.
- 3 years of experience in a related role
- Expertise with malware analysis, including investigations of botnet and root-kit behavior.
- Expertise in leading analysis of large data sets and intrusion detection systems.
- Expertise with signals development, threat hunting and threat modeling.
- Experience with developing or analyzing Android applications
- Code maintenance and review experience in one or more general purpose languages.
- Understanding of technical privacy issues (cookie management, encryption), and experience with the software development lifecycle.
- Understanding and history of applying research to real world problems.
- Patience and negotiation skills with a track record of achieving good user outcomes.
- Ability to communicate across disciplines (e.g. engineering, legal, policy).
Please send the following:
- Note describing why you are interested in working for Ona.
- Current resume.
- Portfolio of your work e.g a link link to your GitHub page, projects you’ve completed, or your website.
- (Bonus points) Build something cool using our API, or extend some software we’ve written.
CLICK HERE to apply online
Note we will only contact shortlisted candidates.