Software Engineer – OpenSRP
Who we are
At Ona, we don’t just strive for diversity, we thrive on it.
For Ona, diversity has been a spring board for creativity, innovation, and growth.
We are committed to giving equal opportunities to employees and applicants regardless of their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, colour, nationality, age, marital status, or pregnancy status.
We’re looking for developers who want to build foundational data systems that drive change.
Our team has worked on projects that record the social infrastructure of entire countries, tally the winners of national elections, and reduce infant mortality.
We build software that solves real problems and you will too.
This position is to work on the OpenSRP team at Ona.
OpenSRP is an open source mobile health platform that allows front line health workers to electronically register and track the health of their entire client population.
Qualities we’re looking for
- You understand the importance of abstractions and interfaces. You keep modules loosely coupled and know that algorithms + data structures = programs.
- You read and understand existing systems before diving in. You know how to prototype, how to iterate, and when to step back and think it through or ask questions.
- You are committed to the projects you work on and need to see them through to completion. You understand that solving the user’s problem is the end goal.
- You stay up to date with the latest trends and are excited to learn new languages, tools, and best practices.
- Since we’re a startup, you’ll have to be a self-starter who is organized and can manage multiple projects at the same time.
- You thrive in teams and projects that span timezones and cultures.
- Since some of our team works remotely, you’ll also need great communication skills and to be empathetic.
- You’re ready and excited to travel in order to support projects, no matter how dusty or remote.
- Minimum 2 years programming production web applications in Java
- Minimum 2 years programming production Android applications
- Experience with databases and their integration into web and Android applications
- Strong attention to detail and understanding of architectural dependencies.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Experience with CouchDB or other NoSQL databases
- Experience with OpenMRS or other tools used in global health
- Experience with the Spring Framework
- Experience working with remote teams
- Competent in French (Reading, writing and speaking)
Please send the following:
- Note describing why you are interested in working at Ona.
- Examples of your work. Link to your GitHub page, projects you’ve completed, or your website.
- (Bonus points) Build something cool using our API, or extend some software we’ve written.
CLICK HERE to apply online.
Please note that resumes will be reviewed as soon as received.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.