Job Vacancies: Accelerated Education Program (AEP) Teachers
Gross Salary: KES 40,000 – 50,000
Job Locations: Umoja, Kabiria – Nairobi
Open to: All applicants
About Xavier Project: Xavier Project is registered as an NGO in Uganda, an International NGO in Kenya and a company and charity in UK. All operations are in Kenya and Uganda, but a proportion of funding is raised in the UK.
Xavier Project ́s implementation model promotes building holistic partnerships with Refugee Led Organisations (RLOs) across East Africa through which we promote community-led learning, community capacity-strengthening and enterprise development.
We act as facilitators, supporting the RLOs to deliver education services and scale-out enterprise within their communities. We have supported over 12 RLOs in six different locations in Kenya and Uganda.
Through community-led solutions, we aspire to provide more refugee children with access to quality learning, delivered in environments that are safe and inclusive, and foster social, emotional and extra-curricular learning.
This is done through various innovative programmes such as tablet-based learning programme for primary school children, online-based learning programme for out-of-school youth or outreach programme aiming to improve the access of refugee children with disabilities to quality education. Xavier Project partners with a wide range of Institutional Donors, Foundations and Trusts.
Programme Description: Xavier Project is opening learning centers in Umoja and Kabiria to support the education of urban refugee youth who have missed school for prolonged periods of time.
The Accelerated Education Programme (AEP) aims at ensuring that such youth, aged 14 -18 years, have access to basic education through the non-formal curriculum provided by the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development (KICD).
This will accord them a chance to acquire equivalent certified competencies for basic education through flexible school schedules and learning approaches that match their cognitive maturity. We are therefore looking for qualified primary school teachers with the relevant experience to support this programme.
Under the supervision of the Education Officer, the incumbent will perform the following functions”
- Take a leading role of the learning center management
- Support assistant teachers at the hub
- Continuously evaluate the program
- Ensure regular class attendance of all enrolled students.
- Teach all the 5 Primary School AEP subjects across the different levels: (English, Kiswahili, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies)
- Prepare schemes of work, lesson plans and notes, and relevant teaching/learning resources
- Maintain relevant records including: daily attendance, record of work covered, meetings, assessment of learning, inventories etc.
- Carry out daily registration and ensure continuous learning, safety, welfare and comfort of all the learners
- Assess learners in terms of language and academic competencies and offer appropriate remedial support
- Identify and document any psycho-social needs of learners and offer appropriate guidance and counselling and/or referrals to relevant partners
- Hold and document regular consultative forums with the Learning Center Committee as the Secretary
- Arrange regular meetings with each learner’s parent/guardian to review progress and advice on improvement
- Hold relevant activities and events that enhance the learning progress and talent development of all learners
- Help clean and maintain the Learning Center including furniture and learning materials and ensure their safety and security
- Any other relevant duty that may be assigned to you from time to time
- Bachelor’s degree in primary education
- Experience in education management
- Experience in project management will be an added advantage
- Ability to prepare pupils for KCPE examinations
- Teachers Service Commission (TSC) Registration
- Minimum 4 years teaching in a primary school.
- Knowledge of and experience with AEP principles and approaches will be an added advantage.
- Interactive and innovative teaching approaches
- Computer literacy is desirable
- Working experience in Guidance and Counseling
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in English and Kiswahili
How to Apply:
To apply, please fill in the questions HERE and send your CV only (no other attachments), before the deadline of 11th Dec 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates should use the email title AEP Teacher.
Please also include the names and contact details of two referees.
Successful candidates will be expected to produce a Certificate of Good Conduct.
Kindly note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information on what we do please visit www.xavierproject.org
Xavier Project is an equal opportunity employer and therefore does not discriminate on the basis of religion, race, colour, origin, gender, or disability.