Title: Consultant – Data Analysis and Business Modeling for WASH Impact
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The organization: Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option. We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding.
We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment.
We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms.
Operational since 2011, Sanergy now serves over 140,000 people living in low-income areas with safe sanitation services. Sanergy collects and treats over 12,000T of waste per year, and successfully sells its agricultural end products to farmers, who are seeing improved yields and increased incomes.
At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people. For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
Citywise, Sanergy’s advisory services team, partners with others to design and implement integrated systems that deliver safe, cost-effective and dignified sanitation. We leverage a proven track record delivering sanitation services to the poorest, most vulnerable populations in rapidly developing cities, command of technologies and service delivery models for urban sanitation, and a strong network of collaborators around the world.
We offer four services to enable the flourishing of healthy, prosperous cities: we assess sanitation need, demand, and potential, advise on innovative solutions that match determined characteristics, assist in designing integrated sanitation systems, and implement sanitation systems.
The role: Citywise seeks a Consultant with experience in data management, quantitative analysis, financial or business modeling, and sanitation or other challenges facing the urban poor (broadly defined) who is able to think nimbly, apply existing knowledge and ideas in new ways, creatively solve problems, and manage complex projects.
The Consultant will primarily assist in providing advisory services and developing tools to strengthen the sector and assist others in planning and providing citywide inclusive sanitation. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing team tackling unanswered questions in the sanitation/development space.
Day-to-day activities include:
- Managing data coming in from the field to ensure quality and integrity
- Developing and improving quantitative and qualitative data collection tools
- Building financial models to facilitate urban sanitation planning and investment decisions
- Complete diverse advisory projects with a high standard of quality
- Present analysis and project work to Sanergy senior leadership and other key stakeholders
- Support project implementation in the field as needed
The Citywise portfolio is constantly evolving, and the Consultant will be involved in all stages of this work, from concept development through presentation of recommendations.
Among other projects, in 2021, the Consultant will specifically assist in:
- Development of a tool and manual to collect financial data from sanitation operators to create a database of benchmark cost estimates and inform sanitation investment decisions
- Planning, data collection, and data analysis for a field trial to evaluate customer satisfaction and functionality of a new sanitation product for non-sewered areas
- Development of indicators and data collection tools to monitor safe management on non-sewered sanitation systems at a global level and pilot-testing of the tools and indicators within Kenya
Qualifications and experience:
- At least 2 years of work experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (business, engineering, urban planning, public health, public policy) or comparable experience
- Strong understanding of data analytics – as passionate about upholding data integrity as you are about diving into analytical relationships and trends
- Experience building complex financial or business models (in Excel)
- Comfort handling imperfect data and the ability to work independently to navigate data complexities to arrive at logical assumptions
- Experience in or desire to learn about conducting qualitative interviews and qualitative data analysis
- Skilled at translating data into key conclusions and effectively communicating them to stakeholders
- Strong skills in written and verbal communication, including client-facing reports and Powerpoint
- Experience in developing country contexts strongly preferred; experience working in urban informal settlements a plus
- Familiarity with at least one of the following would be beneficial but is not required: sanitation service delivery, valorization of sanitation waste, waste or wastewater treatment, WASH behavior change, sanitation product development, urban sanitation, challenges facing the urban poor
- Background in management consulting or a related field would be beneficial but is not required
- Fluency in French a plus
- Experience with R, SPSS, or Stata a plus
Qualities we are looking for in a new team member:
- Enthusiasm for developing creative solutions to complex challenges
- Excitement to stretch knowledge in new directions and to work on a variety of projects requiring diverse skillsets
- Recognition that both innovation and sustained effort are required to develop lasting solutions to complex problems
- Humility and ability to easily adapt to different settings
- Comfortable engaging with messy questions, distilling the core objectives, and developing a detailed plan to achieve those objectives
- Willing to travel internationally and within Kenya as needed (pending Covid-19 restrictions and safety)
Please submit HERE a cover letter clearly indicating your available start date (include notice period), your interest in this role, and your resume/CV that includes a list of three referees by 13th December 2020.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and therefore applicants are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience.
Kindly also indicate your salary expectations.