Internship Opportunity: Software Development Intern
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) operates from its head office in Nairobi, Kenya but coordinates all its work across all countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
It also has an office in Senegal which oversees projects and activities in West Africa.
The Center’s vision is to transform lives in Africa through research. Its mission is to generate evidence, strengthen research capacity and engage policy to inform action on population health and wellbeing
APHRC’s vision, mandate and mission are premised on tracking the activities, outputs and outcomes of various research projects.
As such, APHRC collects primary data from various research participants mainly through face to face (F2F) interviews.
With new advancements in mobile technology, and rapidly increasing internet connectivity and mobile phone penetration in Africa, it is now possible to conduct some types of studies using telephone interviews, Short Message Services (SMS) or mobile web all of which require mobile phone numbers mounted on an electronic communication device and/or access to internet connectivity.
In addition to technology advancement, pandemics such as COVID-19 dictate that researchers minimize F2F interviews, something that has become the new normal. This has awoken the need to establish a telephone number database at APHRC to support data collection for existing and future research projects
APHRC seeks to engage an intern for an initial period of six months to support in designing and implementing database management systems.
More specifically, the intern will be supporting the development and management of a telephone directory
What is a telephone database and what is its purpose?
A telephone database consists of telephone numbers stored in an institutionally controlled device, e.g. a server, standalone computer or cloud solution.
The phone numbers, ideally mobile phone numbers, are part of an individual’s contact information.
The contact information includes other selected details of the individual.
The database can be connected to a calling system for purposes of contacting the individual when needed.
The purpose of a telephone database is to:
- To conduct non-face to face research, trainings, communications and policy engagement;
- To conduct targeted marketing, and monitoring of research activities including implementation of interventions;
- To provided sampling frames that will allow efficient samples to be drawn;
- To reduce the time, it takes to collect primary data with large samples; and,
- To enhance the cost-effectiveness of APHRC field activities.
- Experience using collaborative software tools such as SVN, GIT, CVS and Mercurial for version control purposes
- Experience with relational databases (schemas, design) and XML is highly desirable
- Experience with web analytics tools (Google Analytics, Web trends, etc.) is highly desirable
- Knowledge of PowerShell, NET platform, and/or C# programming is an added advantage
- Strong skills in designing interactive responsive user interfaces
- Ability to analyze and critique requirements and make recommendations on possible solution designs
- Ability to complete work independently, incorporate client feedback, and deliver on time
- Initiative and sound judgment and ability to understand and process client feedback to improve assignments
- Ability to plan, prioritize and deliver quality deliverables while working with tight timelines
- Have a good eye for detail, with excellent spelling, grammar and punctuation skills in the context of IT programming
- Have good organizational skills to collate material from multiple sources and produce web content within tight deadlines
- Possess good interpersonal skills to work effectively with content developers and webmasters
- Creative, innovative thinker with excellent design skills
- A degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or Information Technology
How to Apply
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their cover letter and CV through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/ by December 23rd, 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center
P.O. Box 10787 – 00100 GPO
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons.