TERMS OF REFERENCE (ToR)
TRAINING OF SOS CV KE FAMILY STRENGTHENING PROGRAMMES STAFF ON VSLA METHODOLOGY AND DEVELOPMENT SOC CV KE VOLUNTARY SAVINGS AND LOANS ASSOCIATIONS MANUAL
SOS Children’s Villages Kenya (SOS CV KE) is a member of SOS – Kinderdorf International, the largest private child welfare organization in the world.
SOS CV KE implements programmes focusing on Alternative Family Care of children with inadequate parental care, education, health, youth empowerment, Family Strengthening and Advocacy.
The organization has a presence in seven of the country’s 47 counties; these are Nairobi, Mombasa, Uasin Gishu, Meru, Kisumu, Busia and Homa Bay.
The Family Strengthening Programme works to prevent child abandonment by providing support to community children, empowering their families and developing the capacity of their communities through Community Based Organizations to take future action in responding to the needs of orphans and vulnerable children within their respective communities.
FSP works directly with families and communities to help them to effectively protect and care for their children, in cooperation with local authorities and in collaboration with other relevant stakeholders/partners.
Our program interventions focus on three package of services towards self-reliance i.e.
- Ensure that children have access to essential services,
- Support families to build their capacity to protect and care for their children
- Strengthen support systems for vulnerable children and their families within the community.
SOS CV Kenya has been implementing Family Strengthening (FS) programs in 7 different locations (Nairobi, Mombasa, Eldoret, Kisumu, Meru, Busia and Suba) since 2008, benefitting over 4000 Families and reaching over 9,000 children/youth with various services as guided by the above objectives of the program.
One of the Family strengthening programmes implemented by SOS Children Villages Kenya in partnership with local implementation partners, namely Village Savings and Loaning Associations (VSLAs), aim at supporting families become deeply embedded and involved in community development for self-reliance.
SOS CV KE would wish to review and build on the knowledge, skills, experience and tools for its work with Village Savings and Loaning Associations.
SOS CV KE is looking for a consultant/ consultancy firm to conduct a comprehensive 4 days training on VSLA methodology for 15 members of staff involved in the Family Strengthening Programme and facilitate a participatory process that will lead to development of SOS CV Kenya VSLA manual complete with training guides for both social workers and village agents;
The consultant/consultancy firm will support SOS CV KE in the following:
- Facilitate the process of joint review of SOS CV KE VSLA adopted practice by the 7 locations/counties where SOS CV Kenya is operating (Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Homabay, Busia, Uasin Gishu and Meru)
- Bridge the knowledge and skills gap identified by conducting a comprehensive training on VSLA methodology for members of staff involved in the Family Strengthening Programme to have a standard focus and approach when working with VSLAs
- Drawing from key lessons learned and best practice in VSLA methodology, lead the process in supporting SOS CV put together/develop its VSLA manual complete with required training guides and other related tools/formats (group constitution framework, The Kit, Field Officer’s consolidated guide to meeting procedures, use of passbooks, Ideal Data collection tools, Agreement between a VSLA and a Village agent template, Election procedures, Village Agent’s consolidated guide to meeting procedures, Filed Officer/Village Agent time management sheet
- A summary of lessons learned on SOS CV KE VSLA adopted practice from the 7 locations/counties where SOS CV Kenya operates
- A Four-day comprehensive training on VSLA methodology for 15 members of staff from SOS CV Kenya involved in the Family Strengthening Programme
SOS CV Kenya VSLA Manual complete with related guides and operation tools
- A training report detailing training methodology, process, contents, and evaluation of learning outcomes.
The training will target 15 members of staff involved in the Family Strengthening Programme and drawn from Nairobi, Kisumu, Mombasa, Eldoret, Meru, Busia and Suba.
Qualifications/ Experience knowledge and skills of the lead consultant:
- A degree in Social Sciences, Community Development or Social Work (Master’s degree will be an added advantage) Provide copies of CVs, certificates and other testimonials
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience working in community capacity building and livelihood programming.
- Experience in conducting trainings in areas such as VLSAs, CBO formations and management; attach at least three reference letters from clients you have consulted for previously.
- Experience in supporting individual/groups in running successful business start-ups.
- Experience in developing training manuals and running successful VSLAs/CBOs.
- Experience on training on social business and running successful group/ community IGAs.
The training output is expected to take a maximum of 4 days. The consultant should propose the expected time to deliver the VSLA Manual.
The budget will be dependent on the fee of the consultant who will be selected based on a bidding process.
As soon as the consultant is selected and there is an agreement on the total cost of the project, the parties agree on the following conditions:
- 20% of the payment will be made upon submission and approval of revised work plan including the training schedule with approved content and workplan on delivering the VSLA Manual.
- 30% after delivering the trainings, submitting draft of voluntary savings and loan association manual and all the draft trainings reports.
- 50 %: upon finalizing the voluntary savings and loan association manual and submission of the final document with the location management input and final approved training workshops report.
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
In addition to meeting the above requirements under consultant’s profile, Interested persons/firms should submit their proposal complete with:
- Company profile-for firms or cover letter- for individual consultants
- Proposed training program for the five training outputs including proposed training content for each training
- A sample of relevant training reports they have done for other organizations.
- Registration/incorporation certificate (attach copy of certificate) (for consultancy firms)
- Tax compliance certificate (attach copies applicable for both firms and individuals consultants)
- Financial proposal; fixed fee professional fees for delivering the training and the VSLA manual
- A Sample of relevant training Manual they have developed in the past for other organizations.
Proposals should be addressed and delivered in sealed envelopes clearly marked “FSP TRAINING” to the tender box located at SOS Children’s Villages Kenya, Nairobi location located at Buruburu Phase 1 Outering road off OleLeshwa road P.O.Box 40653, 00100 not later than Tuesday 22nd, 2020 4.00 pm.