Terms of Reference: Translation from English to Kiswahili of a Handbook
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an African-led and Africa-based international research institute committed to conducting high quality and policy-relevant multidisciplinary research.
Our researchers address critical development issues and challenges facing sub- Saharan Africa (SSA) in areas such as education, population, health, aging, urbanization, and wellbeing.
Our goal is to generate evidence for meaningful action, engage with policymakers in the region to disseminate our research findings, influence policy decisions, and improve the quality of life in Africa
Context and purpose
Through its multi-country project, Challenging the Politics of Social Exclusion (CPSE), the Center is in partnership with the Ministry of Health.
Part of this collaboration includes developing and producing a community guidelines handbook for engaging adolescents, parents/guardians and leaders in the community in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The goal of the handbook is to promote and improve the social, cultural, economic, health and wellbeing outcomes of adolescents in Kenya.
It provides a useful roadmap for engaging communities to set priorities relevant to their local context and mobilize collective effort for improving the quality of life for adolescents.
To this end the CPSE team, is looking for a translator who has experience with documents that have medical, public health and other relevant technical content and has worked on content that is intended for the general public
Scope of work
Under the guidance and leadership of the Policy Engagement and Communication Project Lead and the Advocacy Manager, the consultant will perform the following:
- Translate 120 pages of content which is in three sections from English to Kiswahili that is easy to read and understand for the general public
- Ensure that the technical terms are translated accurately and that the meaning of the content does not change
- Provide a professionally translated handbook within the timelines agreed jointly with the project team
Qualifications and Requirements
- Advanced degree in Kiswahili from a recognized university
- Minimum 15 years of professional experience working in translation of documents from English to Kiswahili and vice versa in Kenya
- Experience working with documents that have technical terms and in particular from the medical and public health fields
- Excellent writing and reporting skills
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili
- Good communication skills
- Knowledge of the adolescent environment in Kenya is a plus
Period of performance: The period of performance for this Scope of Work will be agreed upon jointly with the project team
How to Apply
An updated CV with a list of three referees for whom the consultant has translated documents within the last two years
Proof of documents previously translated is required, both for English to Kiswahili and Kiswahili to English with a minimum of 10 documents for each (not less than 30 pages for each)
A detailed quotation for the work showing the timelines
Any other relevant details that highlight your suitability
Please send this to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us by December 15th , 2020.
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons.