Job Title: Project Officer – Climate Resilient Practices
Overview of the Organization: Inades Formation is a pan- African organization working in ten (10) African countries namely; Kenya, Burkina Faso, Cote d’Ivoire, Tchad, Cameroon, Togo, Congo DR, Rwanda, Burundi and Tanzania.
The network has a General Secretariat at Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire. Inades Formation Kenya (IFK) is registered as a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) with mandate to work anywhere in Kenya for Economic and Social advancement of the people.
In the past four decades, IFK has concentrated most of the projects in Machakos, Makueni and Kitui Counties.
The major areas of focus are food systems, community micro-finance, inclusive governance and climate change.
Inades Formation Kenya is looking for a suitable candidate to fill up the position of Project Officer – Climate Resilient Practices.
The Project Officer is responsible for the conceptualization, development and execution of the project activities in line with the approved grant targeting Lower eastern counties of Machakos, Makueni and Kitui within specified project areas.
The role will ensure that all the project activities outcome are aligned to realizing Inades Formation Kenya 2021- 2025 Strategic plan.
The responsibilities also include the implementation of the project design, monitoring and reporting on the progress of the project activities.
The incumbent will be accountable for monitoring and management of the project budget.
Additionally, the role will require to strengthen community adaptation to climate change and catchment protection.
The Project Officer will report to the Program Manager and will ensure that project outcomes are realized through providing effective, timely and coordinated project management. S/he will provide direct technical input in accordance to donor/Organizations guidelines and standards.
Project design and Implementation – 50%
- Support project team to develop quality project design and ensure that the project is in line with the approved project document and builds up to Inades Formation Kenya strategic plan
- Promote compliance with donor requirements and regulations in project implementation
- Lead start-up meetings of new projects to guarantee a joint understanding among stake holders on project objective and expectations.
- Promote the realization of quality outcomes from the set targets.
- Identify and manage project risks
- Enhance gender mainstreaming and inclusion of PWD in the project
- Enhance community participation in the project planning, implementation and monitoring
- Mobilization and inclusion of youth and vulnerable groups in the project
- Develop monthly activities and budget plans to be implemented as per approved work plan and that all activities are on track with appropriate scheduling, quality and timelines
- Build relationship with relevant staff to ensure all logistics and procurement processes are in conformity with Inades Formation Kenya policies, procedures and standards
- Facilitate access to relevant and accurate information on the project to stakeholders including the government officers, target beneficiaries and funding agency.
Research, Learning and documentation
- Document climate resilient practices through participatory learning process and share with relevant stakeholders and donor agencies
- Develop and submit conference papers in climate change forums at county, national and global forums
- Develop training manuals for community facilitation of best climate resilient practices
Manage Project budget – 10%
- Develop and regularly update annual and quarterly project implementation plans and budgets.
- Monitor expenditures to promote prudent budget management and adherence to approved budget.
- Promote compliance with relevant donor policies, contracts, and agreements.
- In liaison with finance department, prepare and submit accurate and timely financial reports according to donor regulations
Project Evaluation, Monitoring, Learning and Documentation – 10%
- Establish proper data management systems in accordance with the donor reporting requirements.
- Monitor the progress of project implementation and undertake corrective actions where necessary.
- Promote evidence -based programming.
- Develop quality and timely reports in accordance with donor guidelines and procedures. This includes (activity reports, monthly and quarterly, six months reports and annual reports) in line with the laid down requirements and Inades Formation Kenya standards
- Enhance learning and knowledge management through documentation and profiling of Inades Formation Kenya work.
- Contribute to documentation and sharing of best practices with all stakeholders for learning and sustainability beyond the project phase.
- Facilitate and coordinate joint reflection sessions at ward, Sub country and county level
Build and manage stakeholders – 10%
- To engage and maintain cordial stakeholder relationships for effective project delivery throughout the project cycle
- Maintain a high level of external communication/contact at the community, County levels, Project Stakeholders(KARLO, KFS, Machakos University, KEFRI). This is to facilitate the implementation of the project activities effectively.
- Coordinate with other NGOs, local and private sector players working within the operational areas to expand opportunities for partnerships.
- Promote active engagement and participation of communities in Project activities.
- Engage and influence different technical working groups at ward, sub-county and county level
Fundraising / Resource Mobilization – 15%
- Participate in responding to call for proposals
- Responsible of the project expansion
Others – 5%
- As assigned by the supervisor
- A Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Environmental conservation, Natural Resource Management, Climate change or any other relevant degrees
- A demonstrated experience and understanding of developing, managing and implementing climate change adaptation projects in field levels
- Must have proven knowledge of climate change adaptation in arid and semi arid ecosystems
- Government stakeholder engagement
- Knowledge of women economic empowerment and gender integration best practices
- Knowledge and Experience on sustainable Livelihoods
- At least 5 years’ experience in project management/coordination.
- Strong Knowledge and experience of community development.
- understanding of integrated development issues and rights-based programming.
- Knowledge and experience of working with community groups, youth groups and women groups
- Effective team management experience
- Valid driving license
- Master’s degree
- Analytical and report writing skills
- Good Interpersonal / Communication skills and team working
- Strategic planning skills
- Results oriented
- Relevant computer skills
- Budget and Cost Control
- Risk management
- Monitoring and Evaluation skills
- Skills in managing project implementation and monitoring is critical
- Community facilitation, networking, partnership development and management skills
- Good communication, negotiation and advocacy skills
Duty Location: The successful candidate shall be based in Machakos town with frequent travels.
How to Apply:
Suitable and interested candidates for this position are invited to forward their applications; comprising: Curriculum vitae- including three professional referees who are not relatives, a cover letter, copies of certificates, with the subject heading, “ Project Officer – Climate Resilient Practices ” addressed to:
Inades Formation Kenya
P.O. Box 1905-90100
The closing date: 24th January 2021
Inades Formation Kenya is an equal opportunity employer.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.