TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR CONSULTANCY TO DEVELOP A 5 YEAR (2021- 2025) STRATEGIC PLAN (SP) FOR KITUI DEVELOPMENT CENTRE
Terms of reference for consultancy to
- To develop a 5 year (2021- 2025) strategic plan for Kitui development centre
- To develop strategies for sustainability mechanisms including fundraising activities for KDC
Kitui Development Centre (KDC) is a capacity building organization involved in rural development activities which are geared towards poverty reduction.
The organizations overall goal is to contribute to a sustainable positive change in the living standards of vulnerable people through implementing programs in food security and agribusiness, child protection, environment and climate change, community health and nutrition, and social capital development within its area of operation.
KDC’s mission is to improve the living standards of vulnerable communities through mobilization of resources, sharing of experiences, developing people’s institutions and finding practical and viable solutions.
KDC has since its inception has implemented a number of strategic plans and the current strategic plan runs from 2015-2020.
Objectives of the consultancy
The consultancy will focus of two main objectives
- To facilitate / support in the development of a five-year Strategic Plan for KDC for the period 2021-2025
- To facilitate development of sustainability mechanism for KDC
Scope of Work
During the entire process of strategic plan development, the use of participatory processes is expected. Critical reflection by KDC staff, Board of directors (BOD) and stakeholders shall be integral to this strategic planning initiative.
As such, the Consultant will be expected to provide for active, meaningful and an enabling environment for engaging those involved in the process which include the KDC Board of Directors, the KDC management and staff and key KDC collaborating partners
All data and the results of the workshop will be consolidated into a draft and finalized strategic document, including analysis and the development of KDC Theory of Change Framework.
This model will be used in the design and development of KDC future programmes and projects.
Specifically, the consultant will be expected to:
- Review KDC ’s last Strategic Plan 2015-2020;
- Support in the development of KDC ’s Theory of Change;
- Do a KDC scan through a SWOT and PESTLE Analysis.
- Through a consultative and participatory process and using the information from the SWOT and PESTLE processes, refocus on the existing Vision and Mission of KDC, identify Key Focus
- Areas and also develop Strategic Objectives and Key Result Areas for the same;
- Review the institutional capacity, organizational set-up, financial and administrative systems against the KDC mandate.
- Propose a strategy for achieving the strategic objectives and key results;
- Develop a Results and Resources Framework for the planned period;
- Review the current KDC Organogram and in consultations with the KDC staff, management and the board, design one that will ensure that KDC delivers the new SP.
- Hold stakeholder meeting(s) / workshop to validate the Draft Strategic Plan;
- Finalize Strategic Plan and submit to KDC
- Review and develop strategy for KDC sustainability
The following methodology is proposed by KDC
- Conduct a Desk Review of all relevant KDC documents and policy frameworks/ documents
- Interviews with staff and all key stakeholders to assess how far KDC’s 2015-2020 strategic plans has been implemented. (Carry out interviews to assess the implementation status of the plan with all stakeholders)
- Plan and facilitate a workshop(s) for Strategic Plan Development
- A Five-year Strategic Plan (2021 – 2025) including a results and resources framework (10 copies hard copies of SP and 2 branded CDs)
- A Theory of Change Framework for KDC (10 copies)
- Report on the process including stakeholder consultations and workshops report detailing the workshop proceedings
- A realistic sustainability strategy developed
This assignment is expected to be carried out within a period of 90 days
Roles and Responsibilities
- The Consultant will report directly to KDC’s Executive Director
- KDC will provide relevant background documents necessary for the assignment
- KDC will facilitate the meetings with relevant stakeholders
- KDC shall cater for the Participatory workshop to develop the SP and the validation process
- The consultant shall be responsible for the coordination of meetings and other activities under the Consultancy.
- The consultant will ensure regular progress reporting and consultation with KDC
- The consultant will ensure timely deliverables in accordance with the requirements and timeframes of the Terms of Reference
a) Academic Qualifications
At least a master’s degree in a relevant field in the area of strategic planning, public policy, development studies, Monitoring and Evaluation or any other related discipline
- At least five years professional experience in strategic planning and management
- Demonstrated experience in working with an NGO
- Prior working experience on decentralization issues is an added advantage
c) Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- High level written and oral communications skills in English and Kiswahili;
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity;
- Skills in facilitation of stakeholder engagements/workshops;
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments – at least 2 Samples of the SP documents developed to be submitted as support documents.
- Proven experience in research, policy development, management and programming-related work.
- Proven experience in the use of participatory approaches and processes.
- Can work in a multi-cultural environment and
- Must have knowledge on the local environment
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates should submit the following:
- A write-up showing why you think you are most suitable for this consultancy
- Using the guidelines on the scope of work, develop a detailed technical proposal with clear timelines.
- Financial proposal showing the total cost of consultancy
- The terms for payments in terms of percentages in order to carry out the exercise.
- Evidence of having undertaken a similar assignment in the past specifying the work done and the client. (attach reference letters stamped by the client)
- Detailed curriculum vitae of the main consultant and the support consultants (if any) to be involved in the assignment, with relevant certificates and relevant supporting documents and testimonials.
- Names and contacts of three referees (phone numbers and email)
If you believe you are the right candidate for the above consultancy and can clearly demonstrate your ability to deliver on it and meet the qualifications required, then submit the above-mentioned documents to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com with the subject heading: Consultancy for Strategic Plan development
The closing date for applications is 18th January 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates/Firms will be contacted.