WINDLE INTERNATIONAL SOMALIA
Position Title: ACADEMIC PROGRAMME OFFICERS
Location: Hargeisa; Garowe; Mogadishu
Contract Term: Full-time, 1-year contract with possibility for extension
BACKGROUND: Windle International Somalia / Somaliland (WIS) is an International Non-Governmental organization with oversight support and coordination by Windle International Kenya. WIS was founded with the belief that good education was essential if Africa was to meet the challenges it faced.
Windle International Somalia/Somaliland in partnership with UNHCR plans to implement the tertiary scholarship programme (DAFI) throughout Somalia and Somaliland.
The overarching project goal is to support access to tertiary education for refugees, asylum seekers and refugee returnee students throughout Somalia and Somaliland.
WIS envisages the following key outcomes:
- Improved and expanded access to university education for young women and men through the establishment of formal partnerships with tertiary education institutions in Somalia and beyond.
- Monitoring of performance, and offer remedial support, counseling and mentoring.
WIS is seeking for three suitable candidates to fill the position of Academic Programme Officers based in the following locations.
The applicants must be current residents in the area of application:
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Academic Officer is responsible for coordinating the delivery of tertiary academic programs offered by WIS in partnership with UNHCR.
S/he works towards promoting student success and student retention by advising and mentoring the students with the primary objective of assisting students with making informed decisions concerning their educational goals.
The key responsibilities will include:
- Overall coordination and implementation of the scholarship programme in collaboration with students; education staff and partners at the respective areas of work.
- Coordinate the guidance and counselling support services in universities
- Establish a feedback mechanism for students to report any challenges they are facing while in studies.
- Facilitate establishment of a mentoring program.
- Provision of resources to assist students in understanding academic regulations, policies, procedures and programs
- Follow up on students’ performance with respective Universities where scholars attend to keep track record of the students.
- Represent Windle International Somalia at the Regional Education Cluster and other Education forums as necessary.
- A university degree in Education
- At least two years of experience in the field of education – experience in administration and academic advising in post-secondary education is an asset
- Experience in offering psycho-social support is an added advantage
- Mastery of office software (MS Word, Excel, and Power Point)
- Very good proficiency in communicating in English and Somali both in written and spoken form
- Demonstrated ability to write reports
- Demonstrated effectiveness in advising and coaching students
- Current resident in the area of application
HOW TO APPLY
If you wish to apply for this position, please send your résumé with a covering letter quoting the reference WIS/APO/01/2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications is Thursday 21st January 2021.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Windle International – Somalia selection processes reflect our commitment to equal opportunity regardless of one’s gender, disability, religion or ethnic affiliation. We work in schools and are committed to safeguard children from abuse.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.