Scope of Work (SoW): Environmental Compliance Consultant
Company Profile: SoCha (a word created by combining the terms Social and Change) is an independent Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (ME&L) firm that provides bespoke solutions to social challenges.
We are a veteran-owned small business, registered in the United States and headquartered in Mauritius, which is an IT hub for Southern Hemisphere international organizations.
SoCha is structured to be nimble and flexible, where we can rapidly respond to evaluative and analytical requests globally and have a well-established network across Africa and Asia.
Since our inception in 2010, we have grown from a consortium of globally recognized experts who specialize in evaluating the effectiveness of development assistance, to a full-fledged ME&L services firm that specializes in advancing innovative methodologies and changing the way donors find solutions to social problems.
Background: To support USAID/Kenya East Africa (KEA) to align programming towards promoting self-reliance outcomes, SoCha LLC has recently been awarded and will implement a two-year (optional three-year) mission support program to enable USAID to pivot into this journey to self-reliance (J2SR).
To support this journey, the J2SR program will support USAID/KEA to understand context, align programs,collect data, understand complexity and apply learning to program adaptation.
Scope of Work: The MSP program, implemented by SoCha LLC, seeks a short-term Environmental Compliance Consultant to support USAID in conducting environmental compliance monitoring of priority activities in its Kenya portfolio.
The consultant will be contracted by SoCha and will report directly to the designated M&V Coordinator. The consultant will provide overall technical guidance and support with a specific focus on Government of Kenya environmental laws and regulations.
Roles and Responsibilities
The consultant will support the MSP M&V team in the following tasks:
- Undertake desk review of implementing partner reports, activity briefs, and other relevant documents.
- Review, enhance, and advise on the data collection tools
- Participate in the pilot of the data collection tools, in-person and/or remote as well as any other data collection activities deemed necessary.
- Support the development of the reporting templates.
- Support in writing the findings report and in presenting to the Mission/ stakeholders.
- Participate in regular check-in calls and debriefs with the Mission and MSP staff.
- Other activities as agreed upon with MSP staff.
- Have a master’s degree or doctoral degree in environmental studies or related fields from a recognized university.
- Strong familiarity and understanding of Kenyan environmental regulations and laws.
- Technical understanding of Kenya’s pesticide regulations and ability to translate understanding to tool development and implementation.
- Proven ability to plan, implement and monitor environmental compliance activities preferred.
- Ability to diplomatically communicate and work effectively with a wide range of USAID implementing partners.
- Strong analytical and writing skills, with proven experience in authoring environmental focused reports.
- Possess excellent communication, presentation skills, with experience in presenting to the Mission, national government, or related entities.
The following deliverables will be required:
- Analysis of documents reviewed and completed desk review checklist
- Reviewed and enhanced data collection tools.
- Feedback on data collection tool(s) and pilot.
- Qualitative and quantitative datasets.
- Daily briefing notes and transcripts.
- Final report(s) and presentation(s).
- Other items as required by the team leader.
Location: Will be based in Nairobi, but will be required to travel to the activities’ sites throughout the country.
LOE or Contract Length: The consultant/specialist is expected to work for a period of approximately 20 days, from March 1, 2021 to April 30, 2021.
How to Apply:
Suitably skilled and qualified candidates are encouraged to lodge an application by submitting their CV via the following link https://jobs.socha.net/msp_environmental-compliance-consultant/.
Applications closes on 19th February 2021.
For any inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.