Health NGOs Network (HENNET)
Job Title: Policy and Advocacy Manager (P & AM)
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Background: The Health NGOs Network (HENNET) co-ordinates different Health Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) it was established in 2005.
Vision: A healthy and empowered Kenyan society. Mission: “As a network we promote civil society’s roles and engagements to transform Kenya’s health sector’’
Our core focus areas are: Coordination and representation of Health CSOs, Health Sector Advocacy and policy influencing for the success of UHC, Growth and sustenance of HENNET’s membership / Health CSOs, development of strategic partnerships and alliances and development of the capacity, resilience and sustainability of HENNET and its members as they promote accountability for the success of Universal Health Care (UHC) in our community.
Overall Purpose: The Policy and Advocacy Manager (P & AM) will be responsible for HENNET’s engagement in policy formulation, influencing and in designing programmes for effective advocacy across thematic areas and programmes , at county and national level and beyond informed by HENNET’s strategic ambitions as well as the members commitments and interests.
The P & AM, working closely with the members and the senior secretariat staff will provide thought leadership in the development, coordination, implementation and monitoring of health
initiatives and policies at the county and national levels.
S/he will lead HENNET’s participation in the review and development of policies, coordinate specific influencing opportunities and ensure a coherent and a participatory approach in policy
and advocacy across the network. Ultimately, s/he will draw out the voice of HENNET’s members, ensure synergy and make it heard to the respective audiences.
Leadership in policy and advocacy interventions
- Develop and implement policy and advocacy strategies that address members’ needs and voice.
- Inform and update the network on changes in the policy landscape within the health sector through intelligence gathering.
- Form and coordinate working groups to review and advance policy and advocacy work touching on issues as raised by members and from emerging issues.
- Lead in budget planning, analysis and engagement in budget policy deliberations
- Champion cross-programme and cross unit working to support the policy agenda.
- Identify and pursues strategic collaborations and partnerships with governments and other actors to advance appropriate policies in the health sector.
- Development of Advocacy related proposals for HENNET.
Communication and coordination
- Ensure engagement and ownership of advocacy and policy plans and priorities including: establishing clear lines of internal communication; creating internal systems and processes for sharing policy information and external influencing opportunities, and for managing relationships with key donors/partners.
- Lead the members on specific advocacy/policy influencing opportunities and ensure a coherent and participatory approach.
- Establish and entrench evidence-based approaches to HENNET’s policy and advocacy efforts and advance this through inter alia position papers, policy briefs.
- Ensure high quality delivery of events, activities and communications necessary to deliver against set policy and practice strategies including but not limited to workshops, position papers, briefings, consultations, roundtables, online media.
- Proactively identify and develop internal and external relationships meet the advocacy objectives.
Management and Leadership
- Lead staff that may be directly reporting to this role including managing their performance and development.
- Identify funders and develop proposals to support advocacy and policy work of the organization.
- Conduct technical reporting of projects delivery under this role.
- Work flexibly across teams and programs as may be required from time to time.
- Reflect HENNET’s values in his/her work.
- Represent HENNET as per the direction given by the organization
- Any other responsibilities as may reasonably be required from time to time.
Skills and Experience
- A Master’s degree in either of the following fields: – Public Policy, international affairs, Health and policy development studies, social sciences or related field.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience at management level in policy and advocacy work related to Health sector in development policy development, /or influencing the policy and practice of governments and institutions.
- An expert in budget analysis and budgets engagement in the various deliberations both at the national and county levels.
- Skilled at horizon scanning, identification of opportunities relevant to Policy and advocacy and Knowledge of current health and development policy trends and frameworks.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, plan and implement strategic initiatives within the context of health sector and/or other related fields.
- Experience in representation with stakeholders from civil society, governments and/or other relevant bodies.
- Experience in evidence-based budget, policy analysis and development in general
- Experienced in developing advocacy objectives and influencing tactics.
- Excellent skills in research, policy brief preparations and report writing
- Leadership experience and working as a team player.
- Proven resource mobilization and proposal development skills focusing on advocacy programs.
- Experience in networking and building close working relationships with various stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, including public speaking and policy dialogues.
- Desirable – Professional certificates in advocacy.
- One who will work with minimal supervision.
- Internal: Interacts regularly with the Chief Executive Officer, and other heads of departments.
- External: Interacts HENNET members, Ministry of Health both at the county and national levels, parliamentarians, Civil Society Organizations, Health Regulatory Bodies and Other likeminded organizations.
How to Apply:
Please apply with your CV, copies of certificates and cover letter as one file with the Job Title of Position Applied for on the subject line to the Human Resource: firstname.lastname@example.org to be received not later than 1st March, 2021.
We will not accept applications without a CV and covering letter.