The Health NGOs Network (HENNET)
Terms of Reference for Primary Health Care (PHC) Consultancy
HENNET is a coalition of health Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) in Kenya. It was established 2007 to bring together like-minded organizations within the health sector.
Vision: “A healthy and empowered Kenyan society” and the mission are to: promote civil society’s roles and engagements to transform Kenya’s health sector.’’
HENNET with funding from Global Financing Facility (GFF) PAI, is implementing a project that aims at advocating for improved financing for PHC at the national level and Kisumu, Nyeri, Isiolo and Nakuru counties. HENNET under this project also intends to implement activities that seek promote quality provision of PHC services in Kenya.
Based on this HENNET is seeking for a consultant with vast knowledge in Health Sector and in-depth understanding of PHC and UHC to:
Purpose of the Assignment: To generate evidence for advocacy focusing on improved and sustained domestic financing for PHC services in Kisumu, Nyeri, Isiolo and Nakuru Counties and at the National level.
1. Review the health sector plans, policies and guidelines to find out how well they have accommodated PHC agenda in the Counties and National and disseminate this information during a forum organized by HENNET
2. Conduct brief analysis at the start and at the end of this project to be able to asses’ improvement of provision of PHC essential Services in the four( 4) Counties(Kisumu, Nyeri and Nakuru ) in Kenya by May 2021.
3. Develop a PHC budget advocacy tracking tool to be used by the CSOs in the year 2021 and table it before the CSOs for adoption.
4. Conduct National and County Budget analysis. This analysis will look into the 2019/2020 budget to determine the level of funding for PHC thus providing evidence based advocacy in calling for
increased investments and disseminate the finding during a forum organized by HENNET and attended by stakeholders in health sector
Objectives of the Assignment are to:
1. To review and analyze the health sector plans, policy policies and guidelines, National and County budgets to find out how well they have accommodated PHC agenda in Kenya.
2. Develop a PHC budget advocacy tracking tool to be used by the CSOs in the year 2021 and table it before the CSOs for adoption.
3. Disseminate the finding to the relevant targets during meeting organized by HENNET
2.0. Scope of Work
The scope will cover the following areas:
1. Literature review of Policy, legislative and regulatory frameworks
2. Conduct Budget Analysis in four Counties and at National level
3. Identify and Prioritize PHC Advocacy areas,
4. Establish PHC indicators in the four Counties and National level
5. Develop tracking tool as indicated above
6. Disseminate the work.
3.0. Expected deliverables
The consultant is expected to:
1. Inception Report
2. PHC situational Analysis Report.
3. Policy and Legislative Analysis Report
4. Budget Analysis report for the 4(four) Counties and National on PHC
5. Tracking tool
6. Generate notes and reports for all the deliverables
4.0. The ideal Consultant
Qualifications / experience of the firm or Individual
- The consultant or Lead Consultant shall be a holder of at least a Master’s degree in Social Sciences, or Health related fields;
- The consultant must be working with a consultancy firm which has served and conducted similar tasks as the one highlighted by HENNET and specifically with the Health CSOs in Kenya for at least 7 years.
- The consultant must have excellent facilitation, report writing, research and presentation and in particular digital skills.
- The consultant must provide recommendation letters from organizations his/her firm has worked in similar consultancies as indicated by HENNET above.
- A firm that has engaged with the Universal Health Coverage (UHC) PHC, Budget analysis, advocacy in the health sector will have an added advantage.
- The firm should be able to deliver high quality results in a timely manner and
- Adhere to the Terms of Reference as stipulated here above.
6.0. Application Process
The firm should provide the following items:
- A capacity statement indicating relevant qualification, skills, experience in similar consultancies as well as full details of three referees
- Attach relevant work done with at least three organizations one of which must be a health CSOs.
- Attach three recommendation letters from Health CSOs that the firm has served with, in similar areas as targeted by HENNET in this task.
- Attach a detailed proposal and work plan on how he/she plan to undertake the work. The consultant must include a detailed and fully broken down cost analysis indicating the professional fee and any other costs that you will need for this work.
- Attach copy of the firm’s registration, KRA PIN, KRA Tax Compliance Certificate, CVs of at least two consultants qualified for the work since the consultant must commit 2(two) consultants for this work. The firm must indicate the lead consultant to work under this consultancy.
This work should be completed by Mid-May 2021 and staggered in order of priority.
Kindly submit your requirements by latest 27th /02/2021.
Send your documents to:email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org