Introduction: DSW Kenya is a non-governmental organisation registered in Kenya as one of the East African country offices of Deutsche Stiftung Weltbevölkerung (DSW), a global development organisation founded and headquartered in Germany.
DSW Kenya focuses on the needs and potential of the largest youth generation in history.
We are committed to creating demand for and access to health information, services and supplies for the youth, and to securing their right for a brighter future.
We achieve this by engaging in advocacy, capacity development, and family planning initiatives, which makes sure the youth of today, are empowered to lead healthy and self-determined lives.
Established in May 2000, DSW Kenya has its headquarters in Nairobi with additional offices in Mombasa and Kitale and active programme interventions in 14 counties.
DSW seeks to recruit a National Department Manager, Programmes & Projects.
Place of Work: Mombasa.
Reporting to: Country Director
The National Department Manager-Programmes and Projects is the link between:
a) The Country Director dealing with strategic decisions.
b) The operationalization of the strategic goals and objectives at country office level.
(S)He works in close cooperation with the Country Director and the other project managers to ensure the effective and efficient planning, implementation and evaluation of projects within his/her area of responsibility.
The National Department Manager-Programmes and Projects is part of the Country Office Management Team.
(S)He works in close cooperation with the International Team Manager (ITM) and Project Management team in Head Office and supervises the National Team Coordinators of the programmes and projects department.
- Guide the development and review of programme strategies and annual operational plans and ensure their effective delivery in line with the strategic plan.
- In consultation with the Country Director and key programme staff, identify opportunities for expansion and strengthening of DSW programmes and advocacy in line with its strategic priorities.
- In close collaboration with the Country Director, the ITM Project Management and respective managers at Head office level, support the implementation of departmental or DSW strategies by the National Team coordinators.
- Support the Country Director with the development and implementation of organisational strategies, policies and procedures.
- Support the Country Director in staffing decisions.
- Ensure the development, implementation, monitoring and reporting of programmes and projects of the department and their alignment with the DSW strategic plan indicators.
- In close collaboration with the National Team Coordinator Finance, ensure effective management and application of project budgets in line with the country budget, donor regulations and project documents.
- Supervise country office Programmes and Project staff by providing direction and leadership.
- In close collaboration with the Country Director develop and maintain relationships with key technical staff within donors & NGOs, to gain an understanding of their priorities, secure support for DSW mission work and shape innovative approaches in sexual reproductive health rights.
- Coordinate and contribute to resource mobilisation efforts of the department.
- Ensure quality input and timely submission of programme & donor reports, concept notes, proposals, and other documents.
- Ensure country programmes’ active participation in technical and sector working groups. This includes presentation and sharing of good practices and other relevant information to key managers and National Technical Coordinators.
- Communicate regularly with the International Team Manager, Project Management in Head Office.
- In consultation with the respective managers at head office level and National Team Coordinator, Research and Evaluation, oversee the development and implementation of appropriate tools and other project related guidelines for improved programme implementation, monitoring and impact assessment.
- In close collaboration with the National Team Coordinator, Research and Evaluation, ensure a proper documentation of project work (including WebMo), including best practice, evaluation reports, etc.
- Lead DSW’s collaboration and representation within CSO networks, government agencies and departments in coast region for policy advocacy, sharing of information and good practises.
- Undertake regular visits to project sites; provide technical support and oversight for the department, team coordinators & project leads.
- In close collaboration with the National Team Coordinator, Human Resource and Administration, ensure the development and implementation of training and coaching programmes
- Any other duties assigned by the Country Director.
- A successful candidate must possess a Master’s degree and a Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences or humanities with at least seven (7) years’ experience in project management in NGO setting, three (3) of which must be in Senior Management.
- In-depth understanding of Youth empowerment, Family Planning and sexual reproductive health policy and Programming issues at sub national, national and international levels.
- Hands on experience in design and management of complex projects and development programmes.
- Post graduate training in Project Management and related fields an added advantage.
- Good networking and capacity building skills, very good communication and report writing skills, experience in working in an international environment.
- Team management experience.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- High level of personal integrity.
How to Apply
If interested, please send your application (CV and motivation letter stating your current and expected salary) with the reference “NDM-Programmes & Projects” clearly indicated in the email subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application: 22 February, 2021 COB.
Ideal start date: Immediate.
Please note that only shortlisted listed candidates will be contacted.
This position is open to persons who are Kenyan Citizens or those with the right to work in Kenya.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
DSW is an equal opportunity employer and does not require applicants to pay money at any stage during the recruitment process.