Scope of Work
Consultancy Title: Consultancy to Support Training on Nutrition-Sensitive and Gender-Integrated Agriculture Interventions
Project Name: APMI
Project Code: TAN098-02
Dates: 15 February 2021 – 20 March 2021
Term: 10 Working Days
Supervisor: Tanager Nutrition Technical Expert
1. PROJECT BACKGROUND
Tanager, an ACDI/VOCA affiliate, is an international nonprofit that brings people together at the table, on the ground, and across supply chains to co-create economic and social opportunities that change lives.
Working closely with our partners, we align interests to expand market access and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities that result in reliable supply chains, stable incomes, healthy families, and resilient communities.
Established in 1993, we work with the ACDI/VOCA family of companies to make agriculture work better for people. We offer a focused and diligent team of locally based experts and international advisors who work with our partners to reach common goals.
About the APMI Project
The Africa Poultry Multiplication Initiative (APMI) is a multi-year project implemented by the World Poultry Foundation in Nigeria and Tanzania. The program aims to increase ownership of dual-purpose birds (DPBs) to improve smallholder farmer (SHF) livelihoods.
Implemented by 3 local private-sector partners (2 in Tanzania and 1 in Nigeria), the program aims to impact over 2.0 million rural households by providing complete value chain opportunities for poultry production.
This includes access to appropriate improved genetics, affordable quality feed, quality vaccines, technical extension training, and a market development program for the offtake of the excess meat and eggs produced.
To reach APMI’s goals of increasing women’s access to poultry production resources and increasing consumption of chicken and eggs by rural communities in Nigeria and Tanzania.
Tanager works with the three APMI poultry companies by providing technical assistance (TA) to better understand the value of gender and nutrition integration as well as supporting them design messages or outreach strategies, that will allow them to reach their objectives.
The program has four goals.
- Increased poultry production and productivity
- Increased rural household income
- Improved household nutrition
- Increased women’s empowerment
2. ASSIGNMENT SUMMARY
Tanager has been collaborating with a local company (Hereafter referred to as client) which is a leading producer of day-old-chick varieties for the commercial market in Tanzania.
The Clients’ Broiler and Layer breeder stocks are imported from internationally recognized breeder supply companies to ensure that farmers receive day-old chicks with the latest genetics that will produce maximum results and have exclusive rights for the distribution, in Tanzania, of the SASSO bird, a dual-purpose, slower maturing chicken.
The client, thorough the APMI distribute SASSO day-old chicks to the small-scale rural farmer and provide technical assistance and training as well as offer access to markets.
Tanager has previously provided in-house training for the client’s field officers in August 2019.
The training was designed to equip the field officers to;
- Understand and be able to explain how gender and women’s empowerment are relevant to clients’ APMI work with poultry producers.
- Understand and be able to explain how diverse diets, including chicken/egg consumption are relevant to Clients work.
- Understand women’s empowerment and nutrition messages for promotion to target APMI beneficiaries; and
- Learn techniques for delivering women’s empowerment and nutrition messages to target APMI beneficiaries.
- Learn simple participatory activities that field staff can conduct in their communities (outlined step-by step).
The client has since recruited more field officers that will be based in various regions across Tanzania including Iringa, Mbeya, Arusha, Kilimanjaro, Ruvuma and Lindi.
Our client intends to train the 49 new staff (extension marketers) on women’s inclusion and nutrition messages that will be used in local communities to generate demand for their dual-breed Sasso chickens.
3. RESPONSIBILITIES / TASKS
Tanager is seeking to contract a firm or individual with the capacity to conduct a training for field-level officers’ that enables them to deliver women’s inclusion and nutrition messages in local communities to generate demand for the dual-breed Sasso chickens.
Under the supervision of Tanager’s Nutrition Expert, the consultant will undertake the training to cover all the client’s field officers in two sessions of 3-days each.
The lead consultant should have:
- Master’s degree or other advanced degree in health promotion, nutrition, gender, agriculture or related/relevant field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in communication for development, nutrition and/or gender in agriculture.
- Excellent communication skills both written and spoken Kiswahili and English
- Experience on developing training manuals for field-level officers
- Strong training skills for ToT at field level
- Computer literacy with good Power-Point skills.
The consultant must be available to conduct in-person trainings in 2 regions (TBC) in Tanzania – Arusha/ Moshi and Mwanza
5. REPORTS / DELIVERABLES
- Review the training package and hold consultations with Tanager and the client (15th February 2021)
- Inception training report – 17th February 2021
- Prepare and administer both pre-test and post-tests (18-22 Feb 2021 and 15 – 17 March 2021)
- Conduct two trainings in, 3 days per training session (6 days in total) – 3 – 12 March 2021
- Training report including the knowledge change of the field officers because of the training – 20th March 2021
All deliverables will be approved by Tanager.
6. LEVEL OF EFFORT AND ACTIVITY DETAILS
It is anticipated that this assignment will be sufficiently completed within 30 Working Days from the issuance of the purchase order.
The consultant will adequately provide the following deliverables as per the schedule below.
All allowable costs for the activity will be charged to TAN098-02.
There are no billable costs outside the consultancy price under this SOW.
Qualified consultants are encouraged to send their CV and/or company profile with a capability statement [Maximum 3 pages] describing experience in undertaking similar scopes of work and references of similar assignments undertaken. Included in the statement should be a daily consultancy rate.
All relevant documents should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5th February 2021.
Tanager hopes to fill this position as quickly as possible so applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis.