International Aid Services (IAS) Kenya is recruiting a Project Officer – Resilience who will be based in Hola- Tanariver County.
S/he will be responsible for the overall implementation and reporting of the Resilience project.
International Aid Services (IAS) Kenya is a Non – Governmental Organization registered under the NGO Coordination Board in Kenya.
IAS K was registered in 2004 and is affiliated globally to both IAS Alliance and programme countries.
The organization was re-registered as a local/national NGO in 2017 as an independent and autonomous with a local governing board.
Vision: “A World where Communities are empowered to Live Dignified Lives”
Mission: “We seek to empower communities through the promotion of access to education, sustainable livelihood, environmental stewardship and human rights”.
IAS-Kenya implements projects in the following thematic areas; Inclusive Education (IE), Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM), resilience and disaster risk reduction (DRR), Civil Society Development (CSD), humanitarian intervention (HI) and Inclusive Education as well as mainstreaming cross-cutting issues, disability, gender, and gender based violence (GBV) human rights.
Project: IAS Kenya is implementing the project with a consortium of partners under the Umbrella, Kenya for Resilience (K4R), which include Children’s Mission Africa (CMA), The Salvation Army and Life and Peace Institute (LPI) with the following goal “reduced disaster risk and losses in lives, livelihoods and health and in the economic, physical, social, cultural, environmental and spiritual capitals of persons and communities, while increasing their absorptive, adaptive and transformative capacities”
Job Title: Project Officer – Resilience
Job Location: IAS K programme – Hola, Tana River
Report to: Programmes Manager
Duration of the Contract: One year Contract – Renewable based on performance and availability of funds
Job Summary: The role of this position is to guide communities and farmer groups to come up with smart development plans and facilitate project implementation as per the project proposal and agreed operation plans from time to time.
The position is based at IAS Kenya, Hola Office, Tana River County and Implementing the project at Mikinduni Ward.
The project management however reserves the right to transfer you to a different office or reassign you other duties as per prevailing need from time to time.
- Aligning IAS Kenya to the Consortium outcomes which include; livelihoods, learning, innovation and adaptive management and integrating conflicts and resilience.
- Facilitating the selection of communities including farmer groups to participate in SMC funded Resilience- Livelihoods Project.
- Facilitating farmer groups to come up with smart development plans in line with the Ministry of Agriculture and County Government of Tana River.
- Providing support to the communities to form strong organizational structures through formation of investment groups and registration with the Government of Kenya.
- Facilitating communities to come up with smart development plans for addressing their needs besides organizing community meetings and training from time to time.
- Supervising farmers and farmers’ groups on post harvesting handling and fodder bulking within the targeted farmer groups and communities to ensure quality control (materials and workmanship) and effective use of resources.
- Training of lead farmers or ToTs on dry land farming technologies so as to ensure food security.
- Developing the capacity of farmers and farmers groups on suitable DRR and CMDRR strategies to enhance resilience interventions.
- Building the capacity of community leadership, elders and other duty bearers on rights and responsibilities.
- Participating in and supporting the running of K4R County Chapter Communities of Practice in Tana River
- Training of farmers and farmers groups on profitable value chains
- Participating in coordination and networking meetings involving partners from governmental (County Government) & non-governmental organizations.
- Strengthening gender equity within communities
- Facilitating the inclusion of people living with disability in programming.
- Facilitating communities to participate in relevant networks and advocacy events.
- Work closely with the government officials, extension workers and NGO officials with similar objectives to those of the International Aid Services Kenya Resilience Project in order to enrich the projects outputs.
- Compiling and submitting weekly, monthly and annual field reports on all project activities within the project area to the Programme Manager IAS Kenya and as well as Project Manager Children’s Mission Africa.
- Ensuring proper record keeping in line with the means of verification of the logical framework in the project document.
- Participating in the preparation of quarterly / annual activity and financial reports
- Any other duties as assigned by management
- Bachelors’ Degree in Agricultural Sciences / Agronomy / Horticulture / Agricultural Economics / Agriculture Business Management or related field from a recognized University.
- Minimum three years proven experience in working / programming in either relief or development and preferably in an NGO.
- Good understanding of gender mainstreaming in Resilience and livelihoods projects
- Ability to conduct community Livelihoods and resilience needs assessment, project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of livelihoods and resilience interventions
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MS office suites
End Results Expected
- Clear project targets
- Clear work plans/work break downs
- Project Maps
- HELB Clearance certificate
- Valid Kenyan Motorcycle riding license
Method of Application
Interested applicants should submit a Cover Letter and CV before 27th of February 2021 to : firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quoting “Project Officer- Resilience- Tana River” on the email subject line.
International Aid Services (IAS) Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and tolerate discrimination against protected characteristics (gender, age, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion disability, pregnancy, mental or HIV status, nationality, political or any other opinion.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.