Sanergy is an award-winning social enterprise that employs the circular economy approach to treat and convert all forms of urban waste into organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein.
Sanergy manufactures and distributes Evergrow Organic Fertilizer and Kuzapro Insect Based Animal Protein, under the Farm Star brands.
We have collected and converted over 7,800 tons of waste.
At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people.
For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts.
Sanergy seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization.
We currently seek a Business Development Specialist.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Research, develop and execute strategies for key institutional funding opportunities, including analyzing competition, potential for scale and articulating the organization’s value-add.
- Remain abreast of institutional funders’ trends in line with sustainable development goals, build organizational understanding of new funders and contribute information for prioritization of funding opportunities for replication and scale.
- Develop and lead scoping trips to identify new funding opportunities and strategic partnerships, including participating in strategic meetings with funders and peers relevant to institutional funding.
- Expertly speak on behalf of the organization to institutional funders and international government officials.
- Plan and manage the entire proposal development process for institutional funding opportunities, working closely with the Operational teams and Leadership team to develop high quality funding applications. This includes developing narrative, budgets, log frames and theory of change in accordance with funder guidelines.
- Support other areas of business development (ie. result-based financing, public-private partnership, philanthropic fundraising) as required in the organizational strategy. In particular, support the Leadership team in researching and developing a strategic framework for RBF.
- Provide business development expertise on water and sanitation, livelihoods and economic development, gender, and other sectors relevant to the organization’s impact.
- Build strong, open and collaborative relationships with institutional funders.
- Manage due diligence processes, facilitate funder audits and coordinate with Operational teams and Leadership team on external evaluations.
- Coordinate the negotiations and compliance of agreements and contracts with institutional partners.
- Ensure all relevant team members are fully briefed on the terms and conditions of funders agreements/contracts, including Monitoring and Evaluation requirements and key deadlines.
- Ensure reporting requirements for all institutional funders are met and reports are completed to deadlines.
- Recommend to the Director of External Relations changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness of proposal development processes and partnership management.
- Produce internal reports and conduct reviews on the performance and progress of institutional fundraising against agreed financial targets and annual objectives.
- 5-10+ years of work experience in fundraising or business development in a global development context.
- Excellent external communication and writing skills.
- Highly organized team player, with pro-active and flexible work style.
- Strong existing networks in the institutional funding community preferred. Ideal candidate would be able to leverage past relationships to develop a strong pipeline of new partnerships.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience in international development or the social sector more broadly. Knowledge of the sanitation sector is a plus.
- Ability to travel overseas up to 30 percent of the time
- Language: English required. Fluency in Dutch, French or Swahili is a plus.
- Humility, integrity and a sense of humor.
How to Apply
Please submit HERE a cover letter clearly indicating your available start date (include notice period), your interest in this role, and your resume/CV that includes a list of three referees by 28th February 2021.
Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and therefore applicants are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience.
Kindly also indicate your salary expectations.
Kindly note that this position will be based in Kenya.
SANERGY DOES NOT CHARGE APPLICANTS AT ANY POINT OF THE INTERVIEW PROCESS.