SOS Children’s Villages Kenya (SOS CV KE)
TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR)
2021-2024 STRATEGIC PLANNING CONSULTANCY
SOS Children’s Villages Kenya (SOS CV KE) is looking for a consultant, who will work closely with the SOS CV KE Board, SOS CV KE Management, SOS CV Change Executive Owners and SOS CV KE staff to facilitate the process of reviewing SOS CV KE’s current strategic framework and identify new and ambitious goals and objectives for the period 2021-2024.
Expected duration: February 2021 – July 2021.
Location: Nairobi (with potential travels to field offices in seven counties of Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Eldoret, Meru, Homa-bay and Busia).
In December 2016, the SOS CV KE Board adopted a strategic framework for 2017-2020.
The strategy called “Shaping Our Future!” contains Eleven (11) strategic pillars with Six (6) of the pillars identifying “where to play”:
1) Innovative Childcare;
2) Strengthening Families;
3) Youth Empowerment;
4) Advocacy for Children and Youth;
5) Create a Movement;
6) Emergency Response as well as Five (5) pillars that identify “how to win”:
7) Growing grants;
8) Funding for growth;
9) Sweating assets;
10) Donor and stakeholder; and finally
11) Internal configuration.
“Shaping Our Future! Was developed through a series of consultations with SOS CV KE Board and staff members, partners and donors to ensure broad ownership. It has guided the work of the association at national and global levels since the time it was adopted. The SOS CV KE management subsequently developed a 3-year mid-term and annual business plans to support the implementation of “Shaping Our Future!”.
The purpose of the strategic review and formulation process is to develop a revised strategic framework for SOS CV KE in order to increase the effectiveness, relevance and impact of the association while fully utilizing new major developments nationally and globally to bring major change and impact on the ground.
A number of programming, financial management, resources mobilization, technological and advocacy opportunities exist today that didn’t exist a few years ago when “Shaping Our Future!” was developed.
The “Care Reforms” process in Kenya; the Covid-19 pandemic; an increasingly difficult local fundraising environment and an ever growing demand for our services and products means that the association has to redefine how it works to impact in the future.
It is these changes and challenges alongside an expired strategic framework 2017-2020 that are prompting SOS CV KE to critically review its theory of change and propose an updated strategic framework for the future.
Strategy development process
Last year 2020, the SMT of SOS CV KE decided to prioritize the development of a new strategy 2021-2024.
A “Change Journey” provided a reflection and counsel about SOS CV KE’s overall history, direction and long-term plans and goals through a critical review of Four (4) pillars:
1) Mission, Vision and Core Values;
2) Historical Bricks of Achievement;
3) Transactional Analysis;
4) Future Walls of Ambition.
Four (4) sets of Change Executive Owners were mandated to broaden the reflection and participation of everyone in the association by December 2020 to allow for a start of the strategy review and development process early 2021.
The SMT with the incorporation of the association Monitoring & Evaluation Manager also reviewed “Shaping Our Future!”, the current association strategic plan adopted by the association Board in December 2016.
The management of SOS CV KE has now agreed Terms of Reference which include supporting the SOS CV KE management in developing a new strategic framework to present to the association Board for adoption in July 2021.
The SOS CV KE Board, management and staff will be at the center of this strategic formulation effort, helping to assess ways in which to strengthen the relevance and impact of the association, providing direct input into consultations and reaching out to key trusted partners for external input.
The SOS CV KE management will provide administrative and logistical support under the guidance of the National Director.
The role of the consultant will be to assist in developing and implementing a strategic review methodology, ensuring all along that the process is highly participatory to ensure SOS CV KE Board, management and staff sense of ownership, engaging meaningfully with SOS CV KE Board, partners, Regional and International Secretariat (GSC).
SOS CV KE will develop and adopt a revised strategic framework, building on the achievements brought forward as part of the implementation of “Shaping Our Future!” and taking advantage of new opportunities in its operating spaces. This will imply reviewing, analyzing and when needed refreshing or fundamentally updating the following:
1. Mission (“who we are” and what are we trying to achieve?)
a. Mission, vision and core values
b. Theory of change
c. Unique selling point and value-add
d. Long term goals and expected outcomes
2. Advocacy (who are our key targets to bring about change?)
a. Advocacy strategy – what will be the advocacy campaign’s focus?
b. Policy priorities
c. Political engagement and access to power
d. Research and data
3. Strategic plan (how will we effectively achieve our goals?)
b. Campaign evaluation and how findings can be fed into new planning
c. Monitoring: data collection and analysis
4. Fundraising and Resourcing (how will we ensure resources to achieve our goals?)
a. Local fundraising and resource mobilization
b. Local IPD grants
c. Location income generating activities
d. Social business
5. Engagement and leadership (is our organization and network structure fit for purpose?)
a. Collaboration and participation
b. Role in the wider child welfare movement
Specific Objectives of the consultancy
1. Define the scope and the methodology of the strategic framework development process;
2. Review and analyze “Shaping Our Future!”; Federation Strategy 2030; Federation Five Priorities 2021-2024; laws and policies governing Charitable Children Institutions along with other
relevant documents, based upon learning and challenges in implementation of the strategy, with a focus on:
- Where are we?
- Where do we want to be?
- How will we get there?
3. Identify critical gaps, conduct SWOT analysis and identify strategic opportunities with SOS CV KE Board, management and staff members, through interviews, meetings, attendance at key SOS
CV KE events and conferences throughout the first half of 2021;
4. Engage with the SOS CV Regional and Global federation and in particular the Subcommittees on Vision 2030 and Five (5) Priorities 2021-2024 to prioritize strategic direction and refine mission, vision, core values, objectives and strategy;
5. Support the SOS CV KE M&E department in designing appropriate systems and metrics for Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Impact to best align with identified strategic priorities; and
6. Provide written inputs to the development of the strategic framework for presentation and endorsement at SOS CV KE Board for approval by July 2021.
Scope and methodology
The scope and focus of the assignment is to provide technical, strategic and facilitation support to enable the renewal of SOS CV KE’s strategic framework. Whilst the consultant is at liberty to propose his/her own methodology that would adequately result in the expected deliverables outlined in these ToR, the following four steps are suggested as a basis for the strategic plan development process;
1. Step One: Prepare
a. inception workshop with management and Board to discuss scope, methodology and timeline;
b. inception report outlining the key steps/methodology with specific deliverables and timeline; contextual analysis.
2. Step Two: Review, Assess and Analyze
a. participatory process of critical reflection, analysis and consultation (SWOT analysis);
b. review of relevant organizational documents (vision, mission statement, theory of change, “Shaping Our Future!”, Annual Business Plans, etc.);
c. interviews with SOS CV KE Board, staff, partners, PSAs, donors;
d. assessment report outlining critical issues, contextual analysis, gaps to be addressed and opportunities to grab.
3. Step Three: Define – Strategic Plan
a. analyze feedback from the different sources (as outlined in step-2);
b. formulate strategic framework – guided by the following questions:
i. Where does SOS CV KE want to be in 2024?
ii. What does SOS CV KE want to achieve during this timeline?
iii. What is the key purpose of SOS CV KE as a national association?
iv. How would SOS CV KE work better to deliver its fundraising/ resources mobilization, programmatic, financial goals?
v. How will SOS CV KE get to where it wants to be?
vi. What might go wrong for SOS CV KE? And how would SOS CV KE avoid this?
vii. How will SOS CV KE know when we get there? (measure of success)
viii. How will SOS CV KE monitor lessons learnt and integrate that learning into successive plans and strategies (MEL)?
4. Step Four: Agree – finalizing, endorsing and disseminating the new strategic framework
a. draft the text around the key objectives;
b. consult widely on draft new strategic framework;
c. the SOS CV KE Board formally approves the final document;
d. dissemination and implementation across the association.
The consultant will work under the direct and overall supervision of the National Director of SOS CV KE based in Nairobi. The consultant will work under the guidance of the SOS CV KE senior
management and Change Executive Owners.
1. Inception report
2. Advanced Strategic Plan 2021 – 2024
3. Final Draft Strategic Plan 2021 – 2024
Profile / Consultancy Requirements
- At least a master’s degree in a relevant field in the area of planning, child protection any other related field
Knowledge and Expertise:
- Proved experience in strategic direction planning and management
- Participatory approaches in conducting assessments and facilitating strategic direction planning processes
- Strategic direction planning document preparation
Skills and Competencies:
- At least 7 years of professional experience in strategic planning; experience in organizational and change management is an added advantage.
- High-level written and oral communications skills in English;
- Must be result-oriented, highly motivated, team player, exhibiting high levels of tact, integrity and transparency;
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with government and development partners;
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments;
- Good knowledge of the local and international Child Welfare field; understanding of Childcare governance an advantage;
- Proven excellent communication and facilitation skills, including in multi-cultural settings;
- Excellent and proven analytical skills
- Fluency in English (written and spoken); fluency in Swahili highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience in working with NGO’s
Expression of Interest
Consultants/Firms meeting these requirements should submit their expressions of interest, including the following:
- A Technical Proposal: Letter of Interest, stating why you consider your firm suitable for the assignment;
- Brief methodology on the approach and implementation of the assignment; proposed timelines;
- Personal CVs of technical personnel proposed for this project highlighting qualifications and experience in similar projects; and
- Financial proposal indicating consultancy fee and a breakdown of expenses (unit price together with any other expenses) related to the assignment.
- Work references (at least 3) – contact details (e-mail addresses) of referees (firms for whom you’ve produced similar assignments).
- Firms legal registration documents at minimum registration/incorporation certificate and tax compliance certificate
- Any other documents to support/strengthen your proposal submission.
Proposals should be submitted by email to Nationaloffice.email@example.com quoting “SOS CV KENYA 2021-2024 STRATEGIC PLANNING CONSULTANCY” on the subject line to be submitted not later than Friday February 12th, 2021 1700 hrs.