CARGILL | HATCHING HOPE | HEIFER INTERNATIONAL KENYA
TERMS OF REFRENCE
FACILITATION OF THE DOCUMENTATION OF HATCHING HOPE KENYA (HHK) SIGNIFICANT CHANGE STORIES
Heifer International Kenya has been operating in Kenya since 1981 with a mission to work with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the earth and its Vision is ‘ a world of communities living together in peace and equitably sharing the resources of a healthy planet’’.
Using a values-based community development approach, Heifer works with communities to strengthen the local economy, diversify diets with better nutrition, and properly manage water and soil systems for future generations.
Heifer implements its projects through
1) Community development and
2) enterprise development approaches.
Each of the projects focuses on three priority directions namely, strengthening and diversifying resource base, strengthening country program efficiency and increasing outreach and impacts through the utilization of innovative value chain systems.
Currently among the Heifer’s portfolio is the Hatching Hope Kenya Project.
ABOUT HATCHING HOPE KENYA
Hatching Hope Kenya is a partnership Project between Cargill and Heifer International, with the potential to reach 21 million people in 12-year as contribution to 100 million people targeted globally during the same period.
In the initial three years, HHK will improve livelihoods of 180,000 individuals (40,000 Households) through enhanced poultry production and create demand by increasing awareness and education of nearly 10 million people about the benefits of poultry production and consumption.
The HHK interventions is aimed at creating functional and profitable poultry businesses, closing the living income gap by 53 percent per family in Western region (Kisumu, Siaya, Homabay & Migori Counties) and peri-urban of Nairobi, Nakuru and Uasin Gishu counties through improved access to financial services, production skills, business knowledge, strengthening market systems, group cohesion and functionality through the VBHCD approach.
Through the project, Heifer and Cargill will capitalize on the growing demand for poultry in Kenya to empower smallholder farmers, helping them become integrated and competitive actors in the poultry value chain.
At the same time, HHK will catalyze systemic change through partnerships with producer groups, distributors and other actors that serve the needs of smallholder farmers. This approach will facilitate sustainable alleviation of malnutrition through poultry promotion and human consumption.
2.0 SCOPE OF WORK
The documentation of the significant change stories will serve as a way of sharing learning and communicating the impact of the project.
The principal purpose of the assignment is to document success stories in the project areas (Kisumu, Homabay, Migori and Siaya).
It will focus on the beneficiaries (farmers) of the project with a hope of serving as a testimony on the impact of the project.
2.1 Guiding media documentation questions
Generated stories should be able to answer the following questions that are of human interest:
a) How has the Hatching Hope project impacted the farmers’ life?
b) How has the farmer benefited from the project and/or Producer Organization?
c) What are the key challenges affecting small scale poultry farmers/farmer organizations and how has the project interventions addressed this?
3.0 ASSIGNMENT OBJECTIVES
- The specific objectives of this consultancy is to document the impact of the Hatching Hope project on the smallholder poultry farmer.
- The assignment will probe the progress in achieving the project objective of increasing awareness and education of nearly 10 million people about the benefits of poultry production and
The consultancy mainly entails facilitating a consultant to visit the project sites to document change stories by conducting interviews with project beneficiaries, and project technical team.
- Gathering information from the small holder farmers.
- Interaction with members of the community (small holder farmer), Producer Organisations to bring out their realities and how the interventions of the HHK has benefited their lives.
- Review the project documents before travelling to the field to familiarise with the project. Where necessary, the consultant will interview the project manager, project staff and field officers to collect the necessary content for the project background.
- Production of a video documenting the change story.
- All community members interviewed and photographed should sign Heifer photo authorisation and release forms to be provided by Heifer Information and Communications Officer, this is meant authorise Heifer to use the materials for their different communication work.
5.0 EXPECTED OUTPUTS
The following deliverables are expected from the consultant.
- Inception brief: Outlining the storyline of the small holder farmers.
- At least 4 success stories documented on how the project has impacted the life of the small holder farmers.
- Production of a 2-3-minute video per story.
6.0 RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CONSULTANT AND HEIFER PROJECT INTERNATIONAL
6.1 Responsibility of the consultant
- Travel to four selected project sites (Kisumu, Migori, Homabay and Siaya Counties) to capture 4 significant change stories.
- Develop scripts and share with HPI-K for approval.
- Produce 2-3minute videos per story.
- Share the videos with HPI-K before to review and provide comments where necessary.
6.2 Responsibility of Heifer Project International – Kenya
a) Provide any information that may be required by the consultant during the implementation of the task.
b) Be available for consultation as needed.
7.0 APPLICATION PROCEDURE
The proposal (duly signed) from communications and media consultancy firms should comprise technical and financial proposal.
Proposals should be sent in soft copy through email and mentioning subject line; FACILITATION OF THE DOCUMENTATION OF HATCHING HOPE KENYA (HHK) SIGNIFICANT CHANGE STORIES to firstname.lastname@example.org; on or before Wednesday 19th May 2021.
The application requirements
Only legally registered entities are eligible to apply and should submit the following:
a) Letter of expression of interest and demonstration of capability.
b) Cover Page (Name of organization/company, contact details – the name of the contact person, physical address, phone number, and email address).
c) A technical proposal detailing your understanding and how you propose to undertake the assignment, and work plan. Include at least three referees and their contacts, and CV(s) of the person(s) to be engaged on the assignment.
d) Financial proposal–Applicants should submit a detailed budget in excel format with budget notes that explain the basis of the estimate for each line item (in USD and KSh).
e) The successful consulting firm will be required to produce the following documents before entering into Independent Contractor Agreement (ICA) with Heifer;
- Certificate of Incorporation or Business Registration Certificate.
- A Partnership Deed if you are running a partnership business.
- Audited financial statements for the last three years.
- Valid CR12 Certificate
- KRA online PIN Certificate.
- Tax Compliance Certificate.
- Certificate of Incorporation or Business Registration Certificate.
- Physical location including town, building, room number and postal address.
- Directors’ / Partners’ personal guarantee.
- Trade reference and clientele list including their respective contacts.
8.0 SELECTION CRITERIA
The consultancy is open to consultancy firms only, the firm that get the highest points as per the herein below criteria will be awarded the contract.
The criteria will be based on the technical capacity of the consultants (70%) and financial viability (30%).
Criteria and Max. Point
Criteria A (40 Points): Experience in executing successful media documentation; shooting, scripting, and editing video productions
Criteria B (30 Points): Experience in working with partners in the poultry sub-sector; poultry value chain, agriculture, farming, livelihood, livestock or related topics and proven experience crafting messages and documenting stories targeting a variety of audiences
Criteria D (30 Points): Financial
All applicants should submit their applications to email@example.com with the subject line labelled ‘FACILITATION OF THE DOCUMENTATION OF HATCHING HOPE KENYA (HHK) SIGNIFICANT CHANGE STORIES.
Closing date for applications is Wednesday 19th May 2021