Job Title: Nurse / Midwife
Reports to: Nurse In Charge
Department: Clinical Operations
Business Purpose / Objective: The nurse’s primary responsibility is to provide neonatal care coordination of care plans for high-risk neonates in the newborn unit.
The nurse will also function as a member of the midwife team in the low risk setting as dictated by patient volume and clinical need and will be responsible for providing and maintaining high standards of professional nursing care to all clients while ensuring consistent provision of efficient and ethical care to support in achieving quality health service delivery.
About Jacaranda Maternity: Jacaranda Maternity is redesigning the future of healthcare in East Africa for the patients who need it most. Our hospital in Nairobi is changing the way maternal healthcare is provided by developing better ways to provide high-quality, patient-centred maternity care at affordable prices.
Currently, we see over 3,000 clients a month. We have won global and local recognition, including from the Centre for Health Market Innovations, the Gates Foundation, Savings Lives at Birth, and Innovations in Healthcare – and our facility has been independently rated as among the highest quality in Kenya.
We have big ambitions and require Nurses/Midwives with Neonatal Care experience.
Reporting to our nurse-in-charge, we are looking for someone highly motivated and willing to take a lot of initiative and with a passion for providing quality care to our clients as well as be responsible for the medical and health care of children.
Will you join us and help transform maternal and new-born health care in East Africa?
- Hold a diploma or degree in nursing from a recognized university/ (medical training) college.
- Hold an active Nursing license from the Nursing Council of Kenya.
- Position holder should have at least 5 years’ experience in Maternity or MCH/FP working as a licensed Nurse/Midwife in a busy maternity institution and experience in working in a start-up maternity facility.
- Position holder should have at least 2 years’ experience working in a busy NBU.
- Experience caring for high-risk conditions including hypertension/preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, multiple gestations and history of poor obstetrics outcomes.
- Neonatal/Paediatric or reproductive health nursing is an added advantage.
Knowledge and Skills
- Familiarity with CTG machines, use, and interpretation of CTG strip.
- Leadership experience is an added advantage.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and empathy; equally comfortable providing one-on-one counseling and presenting birth-preparedness education to groups.
- Excellent analytical reasoning skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Commitment to providing high quality care and excellence.
- Ability to work effectively with a team in a culturally diverse environment.
- Ability to use initiative to solve problems is a key competence.
Duties and Responsibilities
Nurse / Midwife
Work requirements and tasks will be guided by the nursing council scope of practice, department’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), hospital protocols, which are reviewed periodically but will fall broadly in the following Key Responsibility Areas (KRAS);
- Work in collaboration with the clinical team and the management to implement effective procedures, rules, regulations that are consistent with the organization values and policies;
- Ensure adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and protocols for high risk neonatal clients and overall midwifery services;
- Ensure compliance with established professional and institutional policies, procedures, rules, and regulations;
- Provide comprehensive antenatal care to both low risk and high risk clients, postnatal care, family planning, deliveries, scrubbing for theatre procedures and other services for clients at the facility based on Jacaranda Maternity’s clinical protocols and processes;
- Provide specialized neonatal care to high- risk neonatal clients.
- Provide counselling and background information to patients on specific high-risk conditions, friendly and helpful service, advice, guidance and education to all clients;
- Ensure all clients under their care have a good customer experience by providing clear communication to clients regarding clinic processes in the event of emergencies or long waits;
- Work closely with Jacaranda Outreach team, peer educators, CHW’s and traditional birth attendants to perform outreach and marketing activities and education within the community by maintaining a good relationship;
- Maintain client and hospital operational data using our electronic medical records and other information systems;
- Assessing a child’s needs and providing initial and continual care;
The nurse will be responsible for caring for preterm babies, sick neonates and poor birth outcomes and to promote their wellbeing;
- Provide immediate care for neonates immediately after delivery;
- Provide immediate and continuous care for high risk neonates;
- Oversee care of neonates in the nursery;
- Maintain nursery equipment and tools/instruments;
- Educate parents on newborn care;
- Neonatal resuscitation;
- Monitoring of neonates vital signs;
- Administering medications to neonates;
- Oversee neonatal resuscitation orientation and continuous drills for other staff working in the NBU.
- Any other duties assigned.
Interested candidates should apply through this link
Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.