KEMRI / University of Washington
Job Announcement: Data Manager
The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) in collaboration with the University of Washington (UW) is conducting research studies in Kenya.
The KEMRI/UW research collaboration aims to conduct interdisciplinary, setting-specific research aimed at improving the lives of women and children in Kenya.
Specifically, our research strives to understand various infectious diseases afflicting these populations and testing interventions.
We are looking for a Data Manager who is motivated, committed, and honest. This person will oversee data management for all the pediatric studies being conducted by KEMRI/UoW Research team, manage Assistant Data Managers as well as all data entry clerks.
The Data Manager will report directly to the Clinical Research Coordinator.
The KEMRI/UW team seeks to recruit a dynamic, innovative and experienced person to fill the position and will be based in Migori County Referral Hospital, Migori town:
Data Manager – 1 Position
The Data Manager will assist the Clinical Research Coordinator and the Principal Investigators to supervise and manage Assistant Data Managers, all data entry staff and field workers as related to data collection and management issues.
S/he will perform data quality checks and resolve any issues that arise, communicate with the laboratory staff as related to lab data, field staff and clinicians in order to resolve errors.
The data manager will also perform analyses that highlight relationships or be able to interpret such analysis to investigators, attend and participate in regularly scheduled management meetings/discussions and implement actions points as necessary and relevant to the management of data.
The DM will be required to have the ability to develop an in-depth understanding of study goals and its implementation.
Most importantly, the DM, will work closely with Study PIs.
- Primary responsibility will be the data management for studies
- Develop and Maintain overall database system both central and site
- Set up site databases and supervise Assistant Data Managers and site data entry clerks
- Conduct predetermined weekly data quality checks and come up with ways of solving issues arising from this
- Assist in coming up with a data quality protocol to be used for quality checks and assurance for databases under data management.
- Advise the administration on policy issues that affect data management. This includes a review of the performance existing computer systems and assessment of the need for amendments
- Assist in the design and implementation of encounter forms and databases.
- Keep data log book of data entry queries and inconsistencies
- Coordinate the data-checking process and produce a report on the data quality
- Present weekly and monthly reports of data analysis
- Assist in reviewing training needs of data personnel and play an active role in the training and development of data staff.
- Analyze/summarize and interpret data in preparation for the generation of statistical and analytical reports.
- Participate in the development of a data analysis plan.
- Prepare monthly summary tables of numbers of patients screened, number who returned to clinic, number referred, and number enrolled.
- Respond to any new requests for data related to specific research and analysis activities.
- Back-up all central data weekly (Friday) and ensure the same is done at sites
- Coordinate the movement of data sheets and data files between the clinic and the office
- If problems arise, work with the Clinical Research Coordinator to develop a solution.
- A degree in statistics/Biostatistics, epidemiology or Computer Science from a recognized university.
- Experience in database design, data collection and collation, archiving, analysis and reporting.
- Extensive data management and analytical experience
- Experience in research will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 2 years relevant experience
- Strong leadership & supervision skills
- Excellent demonstrated organizational skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in data analysis, interpretation and manipulation of data; knowledge of STATA, SPSS, SAS, R,
- Able to multitask
- Be a team player
- Highly detail oriented
- Must have Certificate of good conduct
- Must have KRA Certificate of Tax compliance
- Must have Clearance Certificate from HELB
- Must have credit reference Bureau Certificate
The candidate should be willing to take initiative and improve data management systems based on well thought out and tested trials and have the ability to work under pressure
Terms of Employment:
One year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service and a probation period for the first 3 months. The successful candidate shall be based in Migori.
Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on educational levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency.
The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI salary scales.
If you meet the above requirements, please follow the following link to complete the application form:
and then send an application letter with your current CV that contains details of your qualifications, experience and the full-time telephone number and names and addresses of 4 professional referees and copies of certificates and testimonials to Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us by Friday 15th July, 2022 at 5.00 p.m.
KEMRi is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. persons with disability, women, youth and those from marginalized areas are encouraged to apply. KEMRI does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process including application, interview meeting and processing of offer letters.
Note: Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
KEMRI / University of Washington
P.O. BOX 2651-00202 Nairobi, Kenya