Job Vacancy: Training Program Assistant
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya.
APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit a Program Assistant to provide administrative, coordination, and logistical support in the Training Unit within the Research and Related Capacity Strengthening (RRCS) Division.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Manage the Unit leader’s office and respond to queries in their absence;
- Manage meetings of the Unit, including preparing documentation and taking minutes, and ensuring timely sharing of meeting notes;
- Identify action points during meetings and follow up with the concerned parties to ensure accomplishment;
- Maintain an effective record and filing system for contracts, project activities, correspondences and documents for quick and easy reference;
- Manage conference and workshop logistics by preparing draft budgets, making travel and hotel bookings, sending invitations, preparing workshop materials and arranging for per diems and other reimbursements;
- Maintain grant reporting requirements and schedules in the Project Management System (PMS) and follow-up on project reports to ensure submission by due dates;
- Assist in proposal development process taking responsibility for administrative sections of proposal developed, ensuring all application requirements are met;
- Schedule appointments for the Unit leader and other members of the team as necessary;
- Assist course facilitators in preparing training materials including PowerPoint presentations; and
- Provide support in basic data analysis, report preparation including formatting of reports in accordance with specified templates, and sharing of the reports.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Diploma in Education, Business Administration or related field.
- At least 3 years of relevant post-qualification experience in a busy office environment, preferably in an education or research institution engaged in capacity building as one of its mandate.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite.
- Ability to work with information that is both sensitive and confidential in nature.
- Good planning, financial and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Detail oriented, discreet, tactful, courteous.
- Ability to assess priorities and manage competing demands with minimum supervision.
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment.
- Initiative and innovation in assessing situations, troubleshooting, conflict resolution, and teambuilding.
This position is classified under Nationally Recruited Positions (NRP), Grade VI in our scales.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal
by August 19, 2022.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons