Job Title: Post-Doctoral Research Scientist
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya.
APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit a Post-Doctoral Research Scientist to work in a nationwide incidence of abortion study in Kenya within the Health and Wellbeing (HaW) Theme.
Duties / Responsibilities
- Working with the project team to ensure the successful implementation of the Kenya Abortion Survey; and other assigned projects;
- Coordinate the Kenya Abortion Survey project activities, including planning and supporting training, data collection, analysis, and reporting;
- Oversee/lead the development of field and training manuals;
- Oversee the review and translation of research tools;
- Oversee fieldwork of the proposed research project to ensure the timely implementation of field activities;
- Support proposal writing and other fundraising activities within the Unit;
- Ensure ethical approvals and research permits are obtained;
- Oversee data cleaning and analysis;
- Lead the development of project reports;
- Participate in the dissemination of research findings and policy dialogue with appropriate audiences;
- Monitor project budgets and expenditure;
- Prepare project progress reports; and
- Lead and contribute to the development of manuscripts on abortion from this study and other topics within APHRC.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- PhD in Public Health, Community Health, or any related field with a specialization/focus on sexual, reproductive, maternal, and adolescent health and abortion research in Africa.
- At least one year of post-doctoral research experience conducting research on sexual and
reproductive health, especially on abortion, in Africa.
- Demonstrated experience in managing research projects.
- Skills in quantitative and qualitative methods, including experience in data analysis with
familiarity in Stata.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work independently in a team.
- Extensive experience and expertise working in abortion research (both quantitative and qualitative) and abortion policy in Africa.
- At least four years working and engaging with stakeholders on the topic of abortion, and with knowledge of the post-abortion care landscape.
- Demonstrable ability to write and publish scientific papers based on one’s publication history on sexual and reproductive health and/or abortion.
This position is classified under Internationally Recruited Positions (IRP), Grade VI in our scales.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application in English, and include:
- A letter of application;
- A statement of research interests and goals (1-2 pages); and
- CV with contact details of three referees
through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the positions are filled.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons.